Howa Axiom 1500 in .223, 22-250, .308???

alain

Hello guys, first of all I want to say hello and tell you that im new to this forum. I have been reading all about Predator Hunting and have been practicing this for a lot of years. I have a lot of rifles and calibers but not one special for predator hunts. I want to purchase the Howa Axiom 1500 rifle. I bought a Nikon Coyote Special 4.5-14x40 - Matte Black just for this rifle but my question is which caliber to choose and I came up with this 3...
.223 / 22-250 / .308. And what about barrel lenghts??? Now please help me on this one I no you guys know and can. Which caliber should I buy??? Best Regards. Alain.

I assume you will be hunting coyotes and bobcats? Probably more coyotes are shot with a .223 than any other, but any of the chamberings you mentioned will work just fine. If you plan on saving fur, the .308 probably won't be what you want.

Barrel length is going to be largely a matter of preference. If you hunt in cover a shorter barrel is a lot easier to get through the brush, but a short barrel can be LOUD.

I got the Howa Axiom in 22-250 with 24 inch bull barrel, I love it, it shoots awesome. As said before, the 308 will be a little hard on the fur. Good Luck, Howa makes a great gun in my opinion. Just curious, what price did you get quoted?

Mark2

22-250, or .223, both have their own merits. After weighing them out it comes down to personal preference. I think the big question that will help you decide between the 2 calibers is whether or not you reload?

I have the Howa Thumbhole Laminate Varminter in .308 Winchester. I just could not get into the look of the Axiom. Both are fairly heavy with a 24 in heavy barrel. The .308 is extremely accurate, but a little severe for most varmints. I'm a big fan of the .223 Reminton these days. Reloading for the 223 is about as cheep as it gets, and that can be a consideration if you shoot much. If you don't reload, it's way less money for good .223 Rem ammo.
I have $750 in to my Howa with the Timney trigger.
Howa1500STHV308WIN-3.jpg

Originally Posted By: SodakJimI have the Howa Thumbhole Laminate Varminter in .308 Winchester. I just could not get into the look of the Axiom. Both are fairly heavy with a 24 in heavy barrel. The .308 is extremely accurate, but a little severe for most varmints. I'm a big fan of the .223 Reminton these days. Reloading for the 223 is about as cheep as it gets, and that can be a consideration if you shoot much. If you don't reload, it's way less money for good .223 Rem ammo.
I have $750 in to my Howa with the Timney trigger.
Howa1500STHV308WIN-3.jpg

I have the same rifle only with the stainless barrel and in the 223. I love this rifle it is very accuate the only thing is it is a little heavy to carry around.

Thank You All... The purpose of this rifle is only to get coyotes, foxes, bobcats, javelinas and once in a while maybe a sonoran coues deer which I know a .223 could do it... The price I have not got a quote yet maybe you guys can help me on it. and as im reading and from comments here in Mexico also from my friends and all of you, the .223 with 24in. will be great. About the weight im not concerned since I do this kind of hunt from the ground or from high tower blinds, never done any walking more than a couple hundred feet. And they do here tend to get very very very close... One more thing is that I have a couple of thousands rounds of .223. In other story just bought the FOXPRO FX3 have not tried it yet, but looks like its going to be a lot of fun, even do for sure it always more natural if you do the calling, will see. THANK YOU ALL FOR HELPING ME AND LETTING ME BE PART OF THIS GREAT FORUM.
PS: SodakJim that is a really nice gun even do I just do not know but want to try the axiom stock...

Nice rig SODAK, I've looked at and handled that rifle and liked it. I'm a big fan of the Howa/Wby Vanguard actions, but lately have been looking at the Rem SPS Tactical due to the shorter barrel, specifically in .308.

Judging by your scope choice I'm guessing the areas you hunt are open where longer shots are common.I think the .223 WSSM would be the best choice in this case.The .223 is really nice out to around 250-300yds but you might need more reach.The WSSM has advantages over both the 22-250 and 220 Swift.I'd forget about the .308 if you want the fur.

Thank You SodakJim. Bernie the scope is only a matter of trying the front part to protect my hunt of being spooked by light reflections which has happened to me a lot of times. As far of my hunting areas here in Mexico(Sonora is all desert). Where I do most of them are really open areas. Looking at the Howas I have not seen any in a .223 WSSM, do you know if they make them at all??? Best Regards. Alain

since you have a bunch of .223 ammo laying around it seems thats a good choice!

If you dont' reload again .223 is a good choice.

22-250 is very popular and a good choice. Just a bit more reach then the .223.

I am wondering if your over looking the .243? It would be a much better choice then a .308 IMHO. Large enough to kill deer if you want but small enough with light enough kick that its good for coyote. However its going to be hard on the fur and probably blow a fox apart. It will kill coyote further then most people can shoot.

Back