How would you hunt it based on info givin.

Kenawell1

Red is a dirt road. points of entry are marked . White line means I can hunt.

Please give me your opinion!

Last edited:
really ive seen it go different ways there soo. plus the valley's make that wind do what it wants sometimes
wink.gif

I showed posted ground, I would think that the yotes,fox will be over in that ground. I find sign in "our" fields but dont think ther core area is "our" ground.

Do you know of any other coyote hunters? If there's no pressure, they might not necessarily stick to the posted ground.

BTW, I'm not really a successful hunter so I'm just trying to work this stuff out logically.

Basically I'm saying just ignore anything I say cause I'm an idiot.

Alright, let's try this. It looks like you've got lots of thick stuff there, but here's how I would try to set up.

I'm assuming wind from the west because that's what we usually get around me, so I would set up in the green spot #1 and try to get a view into that open area to the southeast. That way, if they circle you to try and get your scent they have to go out in the open where you can see them. Plus depending on where they're coming from, they might have to cross the open area to the north. #2 is another I might try if there's enough open area.

That's my thoughts. The rest of that thick stuff looks tough, especially with all the area that you can't hunt.

TCS- Thanks for the input. Its not alot of land at all 200-3?? some acres but its some land i have permission on.

There I showed the posted ground now*

Last edited:
dave find the nearest water where you are allowed to hunt there,,go up and down the creek see where there coming to water,like i say...food is one thing but they need to drink,its far easier to target them once you find there water source.

then come in the way you need to keeping the wind in mind,and also which way you think the yotes are gonna come from,you have to use both. in your setup.

hope this helps bud.

deleted you number again by accident,and forgot to write it dowm...sorry.

Whether I make a call stand or whether I'm stalking in on a bedded coyote that I see.

I try & use the same tactics. Come in crosswind or quartering in from, an up-wind angle.

Say for example;
1.Wind is from the North[12:00 position]
2. Seen, coyote or call area, is at the 12:00 position.
3. I'll come in at the 10:00 or 2:00 position. Angling, if you will, towards my intended target/[coyote or call area].

Reason being...A coyote, that is "bedded" will be facing a down-wind position, looking, listening, & listening, scenting their up-wind.

I come in from their visual blind-side[10:00 or 2:00]. As I'm up & across their wind. Thus a bedded coyote is facing away from me. Doing so, much of my walk-in noise & or scent. Is carried parrallel & down-wind of my target[ call area & or coyote].

I'll park quietly, generally 3/8-1/2 mile away angled up-wind from my target. I slowly & quietly work my way towards my target. If I'm calling, I try not to get any closer than a 1/4 mile away from the cover area, I plan to call.

I also use any available cover & or hills & draws to conceal myself as I go. Stay hidden, stay quiet & watch my wind.
I also watch where & how I step. Especially if the ground cover is "loud". Step softly, walk methodically.

Coyotes are most often on the down-wind side of any structure/[hills, trees, fencelines, ect]. Adjust accordinly.

Here is a prime example, below. Pic is facing NorEast. Coyote useing a North-South fenceline to cut the wind. Wind is stout from the SouEast. Coyote is facing a Southlery direction.
You add ground cover or timber to this pic. Changes very little.

99% of the time, a bedded coyote or fox, is facing a down-wind direction, useing any available structure to cut the wind. I could've easily snuck in, from the NorEast[blind-side] of this bedded coyote & killed her. But gave her a free pass, that day.
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc78/moreammo/Jan16093reds004-1.jpg?t=1255267898

Last edited:
Kenawell1,

My pic is typical of a coyote when they are bedded. In timber, they will lay close to the down-wind side of a bush, tree, a hill, whatever. Not so sure, you understand what I'm getting at? Or trying to help you understand.

A hunter coming in from the down-wind area. Stands a good chance of being seen, from long range. Not to mention, being heard. As a coyote hears very well down-wind.

Bedded coyotes, most often have a view to their down-wind & or angled crosswind. Not ALWAYS, but most often. Doesn't matter if their in cover or not. Their listening & panning around looking.

One more try. Below is a picture facing due South. Wind is stout from due South. Picture, depicts a brushy slough that runs East-West. A pr of coyotes are on the down-wind area/[North side] of this slough.

Large male? laying behind a bush right above the hay bale. There is a small snow covered ridge right behind him[up-wind]. He's in a dead air pocket, facing down-wind. Another coyote female? I suspect, is standing off to his right. She's facing East.

Point being, they both are behind/down-wind of "cover" & protected from the prevailing wind. Thus, able to hear & scent up-wind. Et look & listen down-wind.

Thats about as simple as I can explain it to ya. LOL!

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc78/moreammo/coyotes12708012.jpg?t=1255280069

Last edited:
Kirby,
I get what you mentiond . I dont see why your laughing? I understand what your saying in these particular pictures. I have studied these pics before when you posted them. It is nice be able to see them in calm behavior! Your pics do describe in detail whats happening because you know witch way the wind is traveling. Kirby do they seem to use bigger or smaller type cover, or is it just whats avilible depending on wind.

Kenawell1, No I'm not laughing, just trying to communicate is all. You didn't acknowledge what I was trying to relay above. Hard to communicate over a dang keyboard, ya know.

What I've seen is, local [teritorial pr's] specifcally. Have preferred bedding area's on their territory. Most often these bedding area's are within 1-mile from their old[or active] den site area. eg; Den site in the middle of a mile, territorial pr of coyotes bed in/near the center of the adjoining mile.

I figure roughly 90% of the time. Of any given day. They choose to bed in the cover area's[daytime that is]. Otherwise their in cover heading to cover or by cover, to bed.

Flipside, is roughly 10% of the time[thats when I see them, when I hunt]. They choose to bed out in the open. Mostly on hillsides & down-wind of the hill top/ridgeline.

When they choose to bed "in cover" it is most often where their core area/[den site] is located.

These core area's around my hunt area. Are mostly in timber strips or sparse timber patch's[acreage's if you will]. Most often these timber area's are hilly. Some with nearby creeks passing or running through or by them. Most often these core area's are in or near the center portion of a 1-square mile land mass/section.

Most all of the coyotes I ever seen that decide to bed in the open. Most all of them bed near the 1/2 mile/[center of a mile]. They tend to be more restful or at ease there. As mankind surrounds each section with active farms & roadways.

Last edited:
Main reason I reply to these questions hunters have. Is to assist them[visually] in understanding coyotes. If a hunter knows how they lay, which dictates which way they face. Et how they use "cover/wind brake" when traveling or when bedded.

Then a hunter can often answer his/her own questions. I suspect some callers or spot/stalker's, lumber into their hunt area's "loudly & not remain hidden". Then it's a mystery as to how come they have little luck killing coyotes.

I know some disagree, but I don't underestimate any of their sense's. The coyote has it all, no doubt. Main reason I love to hunt them. Is that, it is often hard to overcome these sense's they possess.

Last edited:
I may be wrong but i think in my hunting area's witch is 90% game land, scouting is not to productive. not useless just not to productive.
findind scat is a no brainer , tracks i think are kinda tough to scout due to everyone walking domestic's. I seem to find alot of canine track and i have a hard time differing the 2, No matter how much ive studied. I still have alot to learn!
I am thinking on trying the siren route. I dont know any other way to find them!

Scouting, is over rated IMO. Sure it's good to see sign. Such as scat & or tracks. But lack of those sightings, does not mean coyotes are not in the area. Or have passed through an area.

Up until a few yrs ago, I could count on my hand the number of times I've seen coyote scat over all of my hunt yrs. Although I hunted hard[many days a month]. I rarely seen it.
Et I've trudged many miles through the hills. From Fall-Spring planting time.

Coyotes in my hunt area, most often when finished hunting for the night. Are back in their core area by Sunrise, or on their way back that next am.

You have enough info now, IMO. To make a good plan on how to hunt your land. Your plan should be based upon the wind direction. Adjust accordinly

Stay quiet
Stay hidden
Watch the wind

Here's another visual. A still shot off of my old cheapo vid camera some yrs back. Pic is facing NorWest. Wind is stout & bitter cold from the NorWest.

Note, this pr of coyotes are on the Southern slope[down-wind or leeward side] of this hillside. Their backs towards the wind. Their looking down-wind.

This alpha pr, used this little hillside most often. Specifically, when the wind was a NorWester. There was a very good %, that they would be found laying there the next early am. Like clock work. They would choose that little hill, near the center of this mile. They had a long wide panoramic view of over a mile.

No doubt that little hill was a favorite bedding area for them. I stalked this pr, quartering/angling the wind numerous times. Every time, they knew I was coming before I topped the last rise.

Eventually the male got tagged on the fly
smile.gif
Female kept laying there for two more Winters. She never did pr up again. I thought that unique, she still would continue to bed on their old hillside. In "almost" the exact same little focal area. She did that for two more yrs, even without her mate.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc78/moreammo/oldcoyotepics011.jpg?t=1255363978

Last edited:
Back