How to Use Electronic Calls for Coyotes

Little review I did and instruction. Let me know your thoughts I still am working on being in front of a camera:

I would like to see a video along with diagram that shows the call location, the wind direction and what way one expects the coyote to come from and why that direction. I believe these things to be the biggest reason between a higher success rate and along with a higher fail.

A few tips for setting up your Foxpro TX-1000 remote.

Have your #1 through #4 pre-set sounds be your emergency sounds that you want to switch to instantly.

My #1 pre-set is Coyote Pup Screams on volume 40, for stopping coyotes that are running off after a shot.
#2 is Pup Distress 3 on volume 40.
#3 is Vole squeaks on volume 30 for coaxing in coyotes that have held up at 300 to 500 yards out.
#4 is Male Coyote Challenge #4, for instantly challenging back to coyotes that have just challenged you.

Sounds #5 through #9 can be sounds that you like to use most often.

Then put sounds that you also want to get to quickly on sounds # 42 through #50. I have coyote vocals, coyote fight and coyote pup sounds on sounds #42 through #50. By scrolling backwards from sounds #1 through #9 you will get to see 9 more sounds much quicker than by scrolling from #9 towards #18 sounds.

You can scroll to sounds #42 through #50 by scrolling backwards way faster than you can scroll to sounds #10 through #18.

@derbyacresbob… great tips! Except those 1 thru 4 preset buttons were made for you desert hunters when it’s warm out. 😉 Here in the northeast I’ve experienced some issues. Whether you’re a glove or mitten guy, or a tough SOB with frozen hands the results are similar. You accidentally hit them when you don’t want to, or hit the wrong one when you try! Lol.

I like the 42 thru 50 tip though!

Good tips. I agree I despise the pre set buttons. Stupid things are the most sensitive buttons I’ve ever touched. I shut them all off on both my shockwave and x24

I must be doing things wrong, I always position my caller upwind!!
Agree… I didn’t watch the video before my earlier comment pertaining to the derbyacresbob post but yeah, I don’t agree 100% with the putting the caller downwind in the video. MAYBE in a case where a coyote CAN’T come from the downwind side? But then I always try to give them a little something. I put my callers out a ways and upwind a ways which I consider a crosswind. My thinking is that a coyote that circles downwind will hopefully be in front of me when it shows itself. Or at least closer to me. If the caller is downwind, and the coyote swings downwind of the caller it’s gonna make for a longer shot and give it a greater chance of winding you. I suppose I could be wrong too? 🤔

Agree… I didn’t watch the video before my earlier comment pertaining to the derbyacresbob post but yeah, I don’t agree 100% with the putting the caller downwind in the video. MAYBE in a case where a coyote CAN’T come from the downwind side? But then I always try to give them a little something. I put my callers out a ways and upwind a ways which I consider a crosswind. My thinking is that a coyote that circles downwind will hopefully be in front of me when it shows itself. Or at least closer to me. If the caller is downwind, and the coyote swings downwind of the caller it’s gonna make for a longer shot and give it a greater chance of winding you. I suppose I could be wrong too? 🤔

Nope, your exactly right!

I think one of the fastest ways to screw up a set is having the "distress" call volume to high. Last year I accidentally hit the mute button on pup distress and the call started, the volume was only on #4 and coyotes blew up over 1000 yards away, amazing hearing.

My electronic caller is a FoxPro Shockwave. The most productive sounds for coyotes have been Lightening Jack and Baby Coyote Distress. I usually start with Lightening Jack at about 3/4 volume. Call for two or three minutes, followed by two or three minutes of silence, where I watch like a hawk and listen. I've found that the off and on strategy is the most effective. If nothing responds within 20 minutes, I switch to Baby Coyote Distress. The latter sound sometimes brings em' in when nothing else will.

Avoid thinking that an electronic caller is any sort of magic bullet. Mouth calls can be just as effective. The main advantage of calling electronically is that you have a greater choice of sounds to play and you can place the caller at a remote location, so the critter's focus is someplace where you're not.

Back