how to kill some rabbit numbers?

Baiting works if you know what to use. I usually bait a place 30 yards behind my house with Milo.
I set up my ground blind at the back corner of the house and hunt out of it twice a week at the most.
I get in the blind 30 minutes before sunset and will get 1 or 2 a day.

I buy Milo at the feed store in 50lb sacks and put out a pint a day, so a sack will last around 50 days.

If you know how to build rabbit traps (box traps) that is a good way to go also.

Feel free to PM me if needed>

Shayne

Originally Posted By: coyote-kid96do you get anything out of rabbit fur?

Occasionally fleas or ticks, lol.
I've never tried.

Around here we've got lots of farm reservoirs, built for irrigation. The levees grow up real bad with briars and weeds.
Yesterday a neighbore came by and told me he drove to one of his rerservoirs and found a local father and son walking the levee and killing the heck out of the rabbits.
He said one would walk the very top, which is usually a road, and one would walk the outside bottom. When a rabbit jumps up, the guy on the top gets a shot if he hits the road.

Shayne

The only way I have ever hunted rabbits is by getting out there & walking them up.
I always wanted to try it with beagles, but never had enough interest to actually buy the dogs.

I've never heard of rabbits coming to a call.

I know a lot of people use snare traps to catch them.

And, I've neve heard of any hide buyers actually paying money for a rabbit hide. (doesn't mean they don't, but it would probably not be worth the time/effort)
The only reason I've ever known for hunting rabbits is for food.

Originally Posted By: coyote-kid96i want to know the best way to go kill rabbits without dogs and without spotlighting. calling? baiting? what do you guys do?\suggest?

What is the terrain like there in Oregon? I think that would help people give you useful info?..(not that what everyone said wasn't useful!)
thumbup.gif

I always look out a window and if I see one I grab the .22 and get as close as I can without spooking it and kill it. Then I feed it to a dog or to cats.

they like the thick sage. best with snow on ground. drive till you find rabbit tracks and rabbit trails. you will know where to stop cause there will be 100s of rabbits. get out and walk brush and you will kill as many as you want. then go find another thicket.

Depends on the type of Rabbit you wanna hunt. For cottontail, just walk the brush like everybody said. Jackrabbit will usually be out in numbers after dawn and before dusk. Prime drive-by targets.

Start walking. I'll walk for miles carrying my 17hmr. The more you walk the more jackrabbits you will scare and they will run. It takes a lot of shooting and practice, it ain't easy to bit a running jackrabbit with a bullet.

t/c223encore.

Back in the day when I was early 20s I did a lot of rabbit hunting,times were tough for us, so my father and I did hunt em for meat.
After a light snow storm we would go out with our Win. model 12s, and no dog but boy we could really get the cottontails, they would set tight til you nearly kicked them, and wouldn't run very far and stop.
We hunted close to home, usually less than 2 hours, and would usually get from 4 or 5, one time I recall we got 11 between the two of us.Then back home to skin em in the basement where it was warm.
Ah!! Those were the days.
They were eaten fresh, we had a smoke house, where pork was smoked and some were brined over night and smoke. Good this way too.
I have fond memories of these hunts with Dad. He has long since departed this world, now I am in my twilight years, but remember this like yesterday.
I am sure others have memories like this. Great to reminess a bit.
Thanks all for reading.

Roger

Was a time you always got your limit just walking hedge rows, and creek bottoms. You can walk all day now, and not even see one. The varmints are thick in our part of the country,, then ya got the damned turkeys to contend with. Turkeys will stomp out a nest of young rabbits. Thats why most locals use turkeys for target practice, then sit over the carcass's til the other critters show up for lunch.
G

Living in town, when they bother my garden, I put out a wire box trap, bait it with an apple cut up , then I haul Mr. Bunny several miles down the road and let it loose.
You otta see em jump in the air and kick their hind legs up once they are out of the box and realize that they are free. Fun to watch.....

Back