How to check if your rifle needs bedding

I like a lot more clearance than a dollar bill.

My basic sniff test on a free float is to smack the forearm with the palm of my hand and if the stock contacts the barrel, not enough clearance (or too flimsy a stock). Some stocks are a lot stiffer than others, too.

- DAA

does anyone use the devcon with the steel in it? Where can you purchase it? I just want to do 2 rifles, so I don't need too much. thanks in advance.

Do a Google search online for it and you should abe to find it...I used Jb weld and it has worked great for me. 1 package per job and you have enough left over for whatever else you might tear up.

does it make sense to bed a factory synthetic stock? or is it mostly for the high end aftermarket wood stocks
i ask cause all mine are synthetic, but not looking to change out stocks anytime soon either?
not sure this is something i want to tackle but anyone have a good tutorial on how to do this?
how bad can i screw this up

Originally Posted By: skindaddydoes it make sense to bed a factory synthetic stock?

I did a bed job on my factory synthetic Remington 700 stock on my bull barrel 223 and I think it helped it shoot much better....3 shot cold bore group 100 yards..and I only did the front of the barrel & tang the first time and it still shot this good with Remington factory ammo...went back and redid the entire area the second time with more confidence and it came out great as well but I don't have a new pic of the newer job.good luck

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ilmodoes anyone use the devcon with the steel in it? Where can you purchase it? I just want to do 2 rifles, so I don't need too much. thanks in advance.

Check Amazon, that's where I found it last time.

The cheaper plastic factory stocks, the bedding material doesn't want to stick to real well. Make sure you create a lot of mechanical locks for it when hogging out material.

- DAA

Back