How many?

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762Even without detailed logs or a sober memory; I have a suspicion that the more times you go out and hunt, the higher your numbers will go.

+1 to that! It's like a batting average, more times at the plate the better the odds of a homer. I figure that I am successful calling in predators on about 25-30% of my stands. On an average day for me, I call at least 10 stands unless we are really connecting or the weather turns, then we might call off early. Somedays it can be a grind, carpet bombing an area with a stand every mile or so. Satellite scouting can help but like Infidel said, you just gotta get out there.

Make it 18 out of 31 coyotes for me. Got a day off work and wounded one right off the bat this morning. Shot him in grass tall enough I couldn't see him flopping around or nothin. I heard the bullet thump him and he dropped like a bad habit. I waited a little bit and had him figured for dead. Next thing I know he's up runnin like he ain't even been hit. So I shot some more and hit nothin but dirt. That's frustrating.

I gotta go check my gun to see where it's hittin. There ain't no way my aim was off that bad. I had it right in his shoulder. I just can't believe it.

Last edited:
Like many here I don't have a clue or don't care that much about numbers. I know there's a lot of work for every one I kill. I just know its still a thrill when you get set up and start to call. The anticipation can't be replicated by any other sport, at least for me. The down side is the pictures use up all the memory on your phone.

I guess for me it's more of a competition with myself to see how many I can hit in a row,running shot percentage,call to kill percentage,ect. Even when I'm not actually competing against anyone for numbers I take it just as serious. It is a lot of fun and it's exciting. If it wasn't I'd do something else. Part of the fun for me is staying consistent and making sure whatever comes in doesn't leave.

Some guys can shrug off a miss or a wounded coyote. Not me. No matter how many I shoot that's not good enough for me. I can except that there are better predator hunters or people that are better at anything in general. What I can't except is that I'm not as good as I want to be. Anything I do in life I do to the best of my ability. I'll either put 110% in to anything I do or nothing at all. That's just how I am. I think if most people were as hard on their self for missing or wounding a coyote they'd find something else to do.

Back