How many crow decoys do you use?

InTrapTrap

How many when you set up to call? I'd like to try crow calling and don'y really know where to start. I do have the owl decoy and crow and owl sounds on my Foxpro Firestorm caller.
Thanks-
InTrapTrap

I use 3 crow and 1 owl. I think others may use more.
Go to Crowbusters.com, those guys know their stuff when it comes to crows.
There are several guys from here on there too!
I usually only kill 2-5 on a setup. And it's not from lack of trying, just not a lot of crows and some iffy shooting. But it's a LOT of fun trying.

Shayne

When I started I only had one crow decoy, but now I use 3 crows and an owl.

I think the more the better, but you do have to carry them.

Originally Posted By: yotehunter57 I use 3 crow and 1 owl. I think others may use more.
Go to Crowbusters.com, those guys know their stuff when it comes to crows.
There are several guys from here on there too!
I usually only kill 2-5 on a setup. And it's not from lack of trying, just not a lot of crows and some iffy shooting. But it's a LOT of fun trying.

Shayne

You are close to the Crow capital down there. When I lived in AR. We alwways went over to Fort Cobb OK. It is amazing out there.

Get a mouth call also. When you call them in with your foxpro and shoot, start using your mouth call to call them back.I use 6 decoys.

This was my best day.
A few didn't make it into the picture, but I would have had more if I hadn't run out of shells.

Scan9.jpg

Last edited:
This is going to sound stupid and keep in mind I'm far from a competent crow hunter. However, I've purchased 5 of the dove decoys from Walmart for $2.50 each. Then I bought a can of flat black spray paint and painted each of the dove decoys black. Also bought an owl decoy in the lawn and garden section of walmart for $19.00.

I clip four of the dove decoys on branches in a low hanging tree, put the owl decoy on a fence post about 15 feet away, and put one of the black dove decoys laying on its side on the ground at the owl's feet.

Then I fire up the foxpro and sit back and wait. I've killed several crows this way, but no where as many as I'd like. The crows come in decent, but tend to realize something is up pretty quick. However, it'll work.

We usually use 1 1/2 to 2 dozen crow decoys and never use an owl.Use two electronic callers, one FoxPro Fury, and one Red Rock cassette tape caller. Calls are placed 10-15 yards on either side of the blind.Plan on staying in same spot all morning. Usually able to shoot at least 6, but as many as 25 or 30 if things go right. Location and calling are the keys. I don't think the number of decoys is important, but it looks good.

I don't use decoys since I just run and gun.... it seems to waste more time and does not help kill more crows based on the few times I did use them.

Originally Posted By: The VirginianCan someone explain the owl decoy and how it works?

Thanks,

Eric Crows don't like Owls. So you take a Owl Decoy and set it on the ground or on a stump. Now put a few Crow Decoys around it and in the surrounding trees,then Crow & Owl Fight. Play it and they will come.

Last edited:
Sometimes you don't even have to call with an owl decoy. If they see it they usually will come in to horas it just like a real owl or hawk.

As these fellow varminters say,you can get away with a few dekes,I tend to use all of mine(21) because I mainly use feeding set ups,and I really dont use my owl or hawk decoy that much.Hey whatever works for you is the right amount.

well depends on how im hunting if im using rifle i usually use 2 or 3 and an owl decoy
if im shotgunning i use 30 or more
i mostly just use rifle and airrifles get on a feed field call em in and wait for a single crow to land pop him off move few hundred yards start again
i have a 1000 acer farm i hunt with 3000 acers of state land next to it the farm is up top so when shooting to the west it is all shooting down into the forest and using a .22lr i am safe shooting and have gotten 20+ in a days hunt with a rifle

selemdog, I'm kinda central/north. I'm 42 miles NE of Little Rock, and have a few crows scattered around even though it's agriculure area. We don't have big numbers right here, but it's still fun.
Virginian, have you ever been out, say squirrel hunting or such and hear crows having a fit and not moving much if any? If so, they probably had an owl treed. They will gang up on an owl and kill it if they can. So if you use an owl decoy it's the same thing especially if you put a crow decoy at its feet like it killed it.

Shayne

Originally Posted By: yotehunter57
Virginian, have you ever been out, say squirrel hunting or such and hear crows having a fit and not moving much if any? If so, they probably had an owl treed. They will gang up on an owl and kill it if they can. So if you use an owl decoy it's the same thing especially if you put a crow decoy at its feet like it killed it.

Shayne

Shayne,

Yes, many times I hear the crows throwing a fit. I'll take an owl decoy next time I go and report my success or failure. thanks for your input.

Eric

We have an owl decoy and when we kill are first crow of the day we will tie it to the bottem of the owl and put the owl in a dead tree were they can see it so it looks like an owl has a crow caught........we dont have any other crow decoys......yet

Back