how important is a face mask??

In certain set ups and sunlight, faces show up like the moon and glasses often offer the symetry that coyotes pick up on.. Ilike to break both the face and eyeglasses up somehow.

I am very bright white skinned I shine like a white ballon in a 50 year birthday party black ballon bouquet. That said to me the most important camo in my opinion is 1. your gun not being shiney. 2. your hands. 3. your face then everything else. I called hundreds of coyotes before I ever owned a piece of camo in blue jeans and whatever shirt I had on, wearing a silver belly stetson. That said I now wear camo, camo my guns usually wear a glove on my lt. hand and if the wind isn't blowing wear a face mask. If the wind is blowing I feel the face mast flapping in the wind is more likely to be noticed than my face.

for what its worth
drscott

I have seen videos of guys calling dogs from the window of their truck. Also seen guys calling just standing out in the sun in blue jeans and a brown shirt. Some dogs are stupid and hungry and will come in. This is not normal.

However a face mask cost 3 bucks at bass pro, it weighs nothing, keeps the sun off my face so i don't have to wear sunscreen. I don't see any reason not to wear it.

They can tell at 25-30yds that you are an animal or something, because they can see your eyes, they may not know what you are, but they know you are something.(the late Bill Austin of WY) I think the closest one I shot was at 35-40yds. Most of mine were shot at 50-300yds, on a calling stand.

Last edited:
Mask and gloves are important. As said, if the shot ends up being 200 yards, it likely won't matter, but if you get on in close, it's very likely the first thing they'll see is your pasty white mug or lily-white hands flopping around as you try and get lined up.
grin.gif

You might get away without them if you make your setups back in the dark shade under a tree, but out in the sunlight, it's a huge disadvantage.
Personally, I'm trying to be as hard to see as possible and I never want the animal looking directly at me, if possible.

You could throw away all of the other camo crap that is sold and keep nothing but your face mask and be well on your way to success. I could care less about camo shirts, pants, boots ([beeep]?), etc... but face masks cover the most visible (and mobile) portion of the human form.

I like the ones that are sown to the bill of a baseball cap. You can do some careful head movement w/o much material movement to scan from side to side.

If hand calling, you can run your hands up under the mask to help hide the movement of your calling hand(s). Camo gloves do not provide that concealment - you still have motion in the open.

Back