How far have you followed a wounded coyote?

Quit smokin 345 days ago. Got new found wind. We usually walk about 15 miles on a good weekend anyway while hunting.....whats another 2.
My wife always goes with and she runs either "my traks" or something similar so we know exactly how far we walk.

Last edited:
AP, we treat the 'yote with the same respect the deer. We hunted around for three days on a trophy mule deer buck my wife liver shot. We found him, dead. We do the same thing for a 'yote. We want to find it dead or in a position to be finished off - if we can.

In all our time hunting we tracked two coyotes; one for 4 days, one for two, and two deer; one for three hours, one for three days.

i tracked my elk over 8 hrs this year before i found it.
if i shot a animal i'll follow it tell its done.
i did not follow up on a gut shot coyote one time with high plains drifter but it was hit with a 270 and i knew it was a dead dog walking.
if i think it need a second shot to be fatal i'll follow it as a three legged coyote is a prime canidate for a stock killer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dog1whckrAP, we treat the 'yote with the same respect the deer. We hunted around for three days on a trophy mule deer buck my wife liver shot. We found him, dead. We do the same thing for a 'yote. We want to find it dead or in a position to be finished off - if we can.

In all our time hunting we tracked two coyotes; one for 4 days, one for two, and two deer; one for three hours, one for three days.

4 days now I'm impressed, good job!
thumbup.gif

That coyote was the first animal I've ever hit that I did'nt recover. ( Ummm... If you disregard my sea duck hunting days when I was younger. Them things got a will to live unlike anything else on this planet.) Its just something my family always instilled in me not to leave a wounded animal in the field if it can be avoided, and its really been gettin under my skin the last couple days. Thats not to say I have anything against guys that shoot em and leave em, in our neck of the woods coyotes take such a toll on the deer, rabbits and partridge that anybody who can knock a few down is o.k. in my book. That bein said I hope they don't get em all because its a long winter and I can only do so much icefishing!

Well I followed one till dark. Shot one at 3pm today and stayed on him as he left a good blood trail. Never found him [beeep]....

About 10 years ago I had one charge the call right at dark. I shot her in the chest with my .22-250 at about 15 yards. She did an airial backflip, hit the ground and hauled off to the thick stuff. There was 3 or 4 inches of snow on the ground and it looked like a chainsaw murder had gone down where I shot her. Blood sprayed out in a circular pattern matching the rotations the coyote had made after taking the hit. I walked to the thicket she'd run into and could hear her making some gurgling noises, but couldn't see her in there. I tried walking around the thick crap she was in but she ran out the back. I followed her blood trail completely through a 15 acre thicket to where she'd bedded under a downed tree. Blood trail then headed off across a shelled cornfield. It was now dark so I gave it up until the next day. I took up her trail across the cornfield then followed blood another mile to where I found her down with snow blown up against her carcass. My 55 grain HP had entered her right chest and had angeled across her front then exited in front of her right leg. There was a fist size exit in front her right shoulder. She had gone at least 2 full miles from where I'd shot her.

Good hunting y'all.. Coyote 6974

Back