How do you use the ladders for hunting that I see pictures of.

Rucksack57

I've seen step ladders in some photo's posted by members I live near Mojave desert this interest me I would like to know the specifics of how they are used.

Rucksack, from what I've seen they just sit on top to get an elevated "stand". Then they use a monopod to steady for the shot. One guy has a video of his rig on YouTube somewhere. He secures a bungy to the monopod so he can lift his rifle and swing if need be.

I don't use one but those who do seem to like the advantage.

Sendit

ETA : link to video

Last edited:
Thanks, I get it now. Out in the desert the creasote brush isn't that tall or heavy but if you are at the same level the coyotes are on top of you before you know it. If you can get a little elevation you can catch them coming in at a distance. The hunters with pickups use campers with hatches in the roofs to get the elevation and cover. Last week when I was out hunting I shot a coyote at a dead run about 20ft away with a scope rifle with the brush the way it was I was very lucky to have made the shot a little elevation would have been nice. I don't use a shot gun very often because I fear when you have one they will hang up and stay out of range

There's a guy on here from way down in Mexico that uses a ladder. He whacks the crap outta the yotes too.
thumbup1.gif

I can't remember his user name right now, but maybe somebody can.

I have a ladder that I painted some camo on. I have used it a couple times, but haven't been lucky enough to have something come in on those stands.

I have had a couple come in when it was pretty thick, and I was kicking my self for not using it.

I have 2 fully customized ladders all ready to go, just haven't used them yet. Took them out a couple weeks ago and just didn't find a spot to use them. I will take them out again this Wednesday and try them out.

Here are a couple of pics of me and Jjess practicing from the ladders earlier this year.

IMG_7816-Copy.jpg
IMG_7809.jpg

We have since added shotgun hooks on the side, custom monopods, monopod feet and swing away bungees similar to the above mentioned video.

I have been itchin' to shoot something from them and will post pics ASAP when we do.

Well I grabbed the ladder off the side of the house and painted it cammo in about 3 minutes loaded it up on top of the xterra and went night hunting I found a couple of bungies on the shelf and used one with the shooting stick it was easy the highth was nice it was a little awkward getting up in place but once there I could see how it would work good to bad nothing was called in. Cost was nothing but a little time. I had ordered a XLR light Christmas eve and recieved it today in the mail that was fast so I took it out for a look see nice product well worth the money.

Are you guys using just 4' ladders or 6' ladders?

Im a painting contractor and have several ladders... Im thinking a 6' out in that REALLY tall sage could be interesting...

Fiberglass 6' cheapo from Wal-mart is what I have been using for the past 3 years. I put some wings on it to support the bipod and it's working really well.

Originally Posted By: H82MissHere are a couple of pics of me and Jjess practicing from the ladders earlier this year.

IMG_7816-Copy.jpg
IMG_7809.jpg

Interesting, that setup throws the old adage of not skylining yourself out the window.

Originally Posted By: gman2153
Interesting, that setup throws the old adage of not skylining yourself out the window.

That pic was taken while we were just practicing shooting from the ladders. If we were actually hunting we would be backed up against a juniper tree to break up our outline and blend into the tree.

We've taken the ladders on several trips but unfortunately have not hunted from them yet. Most of our stands require walking in quite a distance and we already carry way too much stuff. I do have a few places in mind in which they would be handy. I am determined to use them and will post pics when we do.

Wood ladders are way too heavy.

4-5' aluminum ladders work great. Just fill the U channels with expansion foam (too keep it from making noise), camo it, and put a sholder strap on it.

Back