How do you guys Scout. Methods?

I don't make designated scouting trips. I only have so much time to hunt, so when that time is nigh I just go hunt. I'm fortunate to have large tracts of public ground that I can head out into though, so if I don't find coyotes in my first, or second, or third, or whatever location I just head on down the road.

However, whenever I'm out in the sticks for any reason - hunting doves, rabbits, oryx, elk, deer, wood cutting, camping with Scouts, whatever - I'm also hunting coyotes. I always keep a look out for tracks, droppings, sign of prey species, good cover, easily available water sources, likely looking spots, places to set up and call, and so on. Never stop looking for new areas. Pay attention to what the sign tells you. Mark places in memory or on your GPS. It doesn't hurt to look over those spots later on the 'net if you have time. Satellite imagery can help you find access you didn't know about or better ingress for a given set of conditions. For instance, our prevailing wind is out of the west or southwest, so I look for roads that run north-south so I can jump off and head into the wind without overthinking it.

In short though, I think you learn more about the critters you hunt by getting out there and hunting them. If you're going to burn gas and shoe leather, you'd just as well be trying to put some fur down.

I use a bunch, depending on the machine... I run Linux, Windows, Android...

I use onX maps, Garmin Earthmate Hunt Edition, Nebraska Public Access Atlas on the PCs, and US Topo Maps, Earthmate, Offline Maps & Nav on the Android tablet.

The 7" Android tablet is the most convenient out in the field. The large screen is so much better than a smartphone or handheld GPS unit. It has it's own GPS chip, so I don't need a 4G connection to use it. I have a 10" Windows 10 tablet that I leave in the truck, but I like it for finding my spots and looking stuff over in the truck.

I have a Garmin 64s handheld unit, but the screen is very small. I use that when I know the area already, or if I'm packing light because I have a long hike ahead of me. I also use it on my mountain bike, with a handlebar mount.

The Earthmate Hunt Edition is $30/year and the maps are always outdated. The onX Maps is also $30/year and I have that on a home PC and the Garmin handheld. Maps are a little bit more current.
I do most of my research with the Nebraska Public Access Atlas, which is web only, and has by far the most current information and maps. Every state should have this. If I have a 4G connection (I'm surprised at how often I do) I can use it with the 7" Android tablet.

There is a WMA near me that on the subscription maps shows it as two seperate, small units. But, the Game & Parks folks either bought or had donated a lot more of the surrounding land, so it's actually been renamed and is one big WMA, now. This was a few years back, but the NPA Atlas is the only one that shows it this way.

Oh.. and the Nebraska Public Access Atlas also shows lots of private lands that are in programs that give public access for fishing and hunting. The rules for those lands is often different than for the WMA lands, but the necessary information is usually on the maps, if you hover the mouse cursor over the area. Very nice, and free. I just wish they would make an Android app for it, for offline use, that used the tablet's GPS like the subscription map services do.

For me and the country I mostly hunt, I don't find the satellite stuff very useful. I'll glance at it once in a great while, but, it is so rarely of any help to me, I think it's actually been several years since I've bothered with it at all.

Topo maps on the other hand, very, very useful. I spend a tremendous amount of time studying topos in the offseason picking out new areas to explore. I can pin point stand locations on a topo and usually am pretty good at figuring out where the coyotes will be before ever setting eyes on a place.

I mostly use Terrain Navigator.

- DAA

Things have changed a lot. Like DAA, I used to pour over Topo maps. I owned most of the Delorme Topography Atlas for the areas I liked hunting and would spend quite a bit of time looking them over.

With all the internet info available now things are so much easier. Back in the day I cant say how many times we'd head off for a new destination we picked off the map, drive all night and first light be met with terrain that looked like moonscape. Or drive all night and be woken up by a windstorm that never stopped. Now with all the weather apps and such you usually know what youre getting before you go. Back in the day I used to take phone numbers from gas stations and cafes out in these small towns we'd hunt near. Sometimes they'd think I was crazy when I'd call and ask them how strong the wind was blowing lol. But it was the only way to get real time weather back then before driving 5 hours.

I definitely use all the modern technology nowadays. Even on Google maps you can drag that little dude down to give you a real time view of the terrain in an area. Sometimes that's all I need to see.

Heck, I've shared it for years. Wrote this, I don't really remember how long ago, at least ten years ago, maybe more? I haven't changed anything in my approach to using topos since I wrote it though. Except for the GPS hardware. I'm using an Android tablet these days. Which, I actually don't love, but that is a different subject unto itself.

Topo Map Scouting for Coyotes

- DAA

Back