HOW COLD IS TO COLD FOR COYOTES?

If its below ten im in the house thinking about coyote hunting. I work outside in the stuff everyday jus hate the cold these days. Havnt even had the sled out ridin this year. So ready for spring.

I've found when we get a cold snap yotes and deer don't move unless they have to and wait it out. There no different than humans when it comes that aspect as far as I'm concerned...they don't want to be out moving in that weather as much as we do. But if the cold spell lasts more than four or five days they have to get up and move around and feed to survive. My best times for calling in coyotes is the first day it warms up after a cold spell. It seems they are always up and on the move that first day it rises in temp from below zero to the 20' to 30's. I've have purposely gone out dozen of times in my area the first day it drops below zero dozens of times (because I keep reading how productive it is) with zero results but after the temp rises after a three to four day snap they come in a running. If it was below zero for a week or two straight I'm sure it would a different story. There's always going to be that guy who shot a yote but for the most part I am a firm believer that they don't move with a one to two day cold snap unless they have to.

Last edited:
I have found the colder the better up here. The coyotes around here seem to hunt and be more active during daylight when it's really cold, especially when it's a prolonged cold snap.

Yep, colder is better. It's never too cold for the coyotes...might be for the hunters, though. I like it cold, and with snow.

It finally snowed here today, and I dropped a fine male about an hour ago. Need to go skin him. Will post pic and story later....

I disagree with a few of the guys on here. We are heading into a cold snap of a high of 5 deg and a low of -25 deg (air temp) with windchills that will be from -60 to -40. I have quite a few friends planning to still go out and give it a shot. Though coyotes do have to eat, they think about SURVIVAL first. They need to keep warm and expend less energy to reserve their fat on those nights. They don't like the blistery cold either, but they do what they have to do to survive. Coyotes, like other mammals, can go a week or better without ANY food - but like any other mammal, they'd prefer to eat daily, although when they are living in such a harsh environment, they'll choose survival over a meal. I'm no wuss to cold temps, and I'd be out there to brave them, but I am a stickler about wasting my time when I could be in the shop being more productive than freezing my sack off and going home with a wind burn and cold. Even drinking beer would be more productive than some of the cold snaps supply for the outdoorsman.

Just my 2 cents, take it or leave it...

Back