Hounds

Hi Steven,

I'm guessing this won't be a very high volume place for a while. Because of the history of this board, it's attracting way more callers than houndsmen. But, like the old saying goes, build it and they will come.

In the mean time, why don't you give us a little history about you? What kind of hounds and how many do you run? Do you hunt just coyotes or do you strike out after other predators too?

Glad you found a home here Steven.

Later
Randy

Hi Randy I Hunt Coyotes With Hounds In NH
I Have Four Croghan Breed Walker Hounds
That Are Good Hounds They Run To Catch And
They Fight Hard&Bay hard To. I Have Been
Hunting Coyotes For Six Or Seven Years Now
And Have Real Good Luck Getting Coyotes.
I Tryed Calls And Had No Luck. I Hope This
Site Works Out And We All Can Get Along.

Thanks Steve&The Thorn
Mt Hounds.

I've been hunting coyotes ith running walkers for about 8 years or so, and always wanted to try calling. I've been hanging around here for about a month now picking up some info. and just finally had to join in.

Good Luck All

Not too bad of hunting. Had some good chases with the hounds but the wind and ice have been pretty bad this year. Lost my best female to a pickup after about a 9 mile chase when the coyote just had to cross a hiway. Good chase though, right on his tail and smokein him till he denned up.

Nine miles? You must have had to cross a lot of fences during that chase. How did you do it? Do you follow in a truck or do you hoof it? If you had more dogs on chase, would the coyote have come to bay sooner? Nine miles?
Do you use a rifle or a club? What do you do when they go to den?

coy_dogs,

How do you deal with the private property issue? I know here in Minnesota we have some serious issues with that. Most folks are OK with running the dogs across their property but some are NOT! Bad part is the dogs can't read!

Randy

NASA- We usually hunt from the truck or we would never be able to keep up with the hounds. Most of the time there are only 2 or 3 of us. I have counted up to 17 miles on some chases and i remember one that went for 8 hours with a couple hounds going the whole way. They got that one bayed up on a creek bank and we walked right up to him. That coyote was wearing a snare around his neck like a dog collar. Randy- Running hounds here is like coon hunting. You have the right to go get your hounds off of anyones property as long as you don't have a gun. You just have to have permission where you dump the hounds loose but that don't keep you from getting chewed out sometimes. 99% of landowners are ok with it.

Hi Coy-Dogs Hows The Hounds Doing And Haveing
Any Luck. I Have Four Croghan Breed Walkers
I Hunt Coyotes I NH And Have Been Haveing Some Great Runs This Last Week We Have Cought Two Coyotes With The Hounds And The Had Killed The Coyotes By The Time We Got To Them And We Have Shot Two Others A Had Of The Hounds. It IS The Only Good Hunting We
Had All Winter Hope To Have Some More Good Hunts This Weekend. Good Luck Hunting.

Thanks Steve&The Thorn
Mt Hounds.

Haven't been out much for a month or so. Seems like the wind is always blowing or we are covered in ice. My old female was a croghan bred walker. She wasn't the fastest in the pack but she had a lot of brains and even more guts. The cows are out haveing calves now so will probably have to back off some to keep peace with the farmers. I think I might try to slip out and try this calling some, always wanted to try it and it sounds like a good time.

To answer the original question, I ran hounds for over 35 years, but not on coyotes. Not intentionally anyway. They were always considered "trash" by the houndmen where I hunted. I always hunted what is commonly referred to as "tree game"; 'coon, bobcat, gray fox, bear, and lion.

Not a lot of coyotes where I live now, and I continue to hunt the same critters I always did. In the last few years I have made the switch from hounds to Airedales; a concession to the years. Somehow the mountains have become a lot steeper, and regulations have changed concerning hunting with hounds. I now have 3 Airedale terriers trained to hunt with a predator call.

Steve-

I have running walkers with some croghan breeding in them. They will bay up pretty good but don't fight much anymore. They must have gotten chewed on too many times. My male dog will run right up the coyotes back and push him down. My old female would go right in a den or culvert to get them but she usually ended up with her head chewed off. She wasnt very big dog but she had a lot of heart.

coy_dogs

Hi Coy-Dogs The Older My Hounds Get The Harder They Seem To Fight I Have A Six,Five,
Four And A Two Years Old Hounds The Six,Five
Year Olds Fight The Hadest. Been Haveing Some
Luck This Past Week Or So But Had Bad Winnter
Do To The Snow Con. It Should Get Better Here
On Out. Good Luck Hunting.

Thanks Steve&The Thorn
Mt Hounds.

Bob Mc
Prior to reading your postings over the past months I had given thought to hunting very similar to the way you do. But I am still young and haven't the patience to wait for the varmint to come to me.
I hunt my hounds south of you for the same tree game you mentioned and I attempt not to run too many coyotes as you mentioned. I have pretty clean dogs right now, knock on wood.
Should the regulations become more restrictive and population continue to encroach into the rural areas, I can see hunting with dogs by your method would be the way to go. I have areas right now that I would like to try if I could do it your way, but I can't go and walk my dogs into the area because of landowners, traffic, etc.
If I had to give up my tree hounds, I do believe I would get a couple of coursing dogs to hunt coyotes within the valley (call and turn the dogs on them) and a couple of curs or airdales to hunt tree game in the mtns (as you do).
If I didn't have to work I would have packs of all three types of dogs.
Patrick.

Hi Patrick What Do You Have For Hounds And
What Do You Hunt With them. I Have Four Coyote Hounds And I Just Hunt Coyote With
Them Right Now.

Thanks Steve&The Thorn
Mt Hounds.

I 've hunted coon with hounds for years four years ago switched to catahoulas,they do a good job of catching and treeing coon and you can usualy going home at a descent time. When I started calling a few years ago started takeing one along for decoy works good at times.Had a bad shot on a coyote last year and my female ran it about a mile and bayed it, thats about all the coyotes I've run with dogs (on purpose anyway).

Patrick,

When I decided to give up the hounds in favor of some other kind of dog, I gave it a lot of serious thought. I’m sure not the first guy to come up with the idea.

At the time, I was in contact with a young fellow in England. He moved, and I have since lost track of him. He used what is called a “Lurcher” over there. That’s a greyhound crossed with something else, often a shepherd. They run mostly by sight, and are very fast. This fellow hunted fox with a predator call and his dog. He hunted mostly at night, and would call the fox from cover and slip the dog on it. Usually the dog would catch the fox before it could reach cover again.

It didn’t take me long to figure out that a sight hound wouldn’t fill the bill for me where I live and hunt. For one thing, in this country anything my dog gets after can be out of sight in 2 or 3 jumps. I had to have a dog that can at least run a red hot track. I also needed a dog that barks treed; at least well enough that I can find him.

Aside from hunting, I needed a dog that could fill other requirements. Where I live, I can’t have a hound loose in the woods for half the year. I spend a good deal of the spring, summer, and fall camped somewhere in the mountains; much of the time horseback. I needed a dog that could be with me the year around. A camp dog, guardian/companion that was pretty much under control. I tried an Airedale and have never been sorry. One led to another, and that’s all I really wanted. I was perfectly happy with the pair, until a little female came by looking for a home and someone to belong to. And now there are 3.

Hi Coyotecrazy What kind Of Dog Is A Catahoules I Never Heard Of Them Before
They Like A Cur Dog. Let Me Now I Would Like
To Here About Them.

Thanks Steve&The Thorn
Mt Hounds.

Back