Hornady Z-Max on Coyotes?

I have shot 3 coyotes with the .243", 58g Zmax with my 6x45 @ 3232fps. All dropped on the spot.
They are the same as the vmax & under Horndays bullet site the SD & BC are the same. Id buy what you can because you know they will jack the price to the over priced vmax prices soon enough....IMO
My last target group with the 58g Zmax was .370", 5 shots @ 100 yds in the 6x45. The last 100yd target with the 58g Vmax was .430"....both shoot the same. Same FPS over the chrony using the same load data for each.

Originally Posted By: 5spd
Id buy what you can because you know they will jack the price to the over priced vmax prices soon enough....IMO

VERY good point. Ordering some now!

As per a little searching on Hornady's site, the Z-max shares the same jacket technology as thier A-max line. I guess the V-max doesn't.

Neither the V or ZMax use the Hornady AMP jacket like the AMax. The V/ZMax are the same bullets. Call hornady, they will tell you this as well.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Neither the V or ZMax use the Hornady AMP jacket like the AMax. The V/ZMax are the same bullets. Call hornady, they will tell you this as well.

The Hornady sales pitch claims the Z-Max DOES use AMP jacket.

Well then...they aren't labeled the same...

This picture shows considerable differance in jackets. Good to know. I also know, the print exactly like the VMax in my 243.

e1ad09a2.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HibsOriginally Posted By: 5spd
Id buy what you can because you know they will jack the price to the over priced vmax prices soon enough....IMO

Everywhere I have seen them listed, the Z-Max ammo was about $2 more than the V-Max ammo.

Man...I like that picture... it makes me like the zmax even better now since the jacket looks thicker.... wow... we learned something here...

how did you do that

Originally Posted By: Grizzly JohnsonOriginally Posted By: HibsOriginally Posted By: 5spd

Everywhere I have seen them listed, the Z-Max ammo was about $2 more than the V-Max ammo.

Ammo, yes. But just the bullets are (for 243) $69/500 ZMax vs $21/100 VMax.

anyone tried any of the Hornady 243 Win 75gr HP compared to a 58 gr V max? I am wondering if it would be better or worse on fur, not that the fur matters to me but may be less messy. I have found that my Savage really likes HSM 243 70 gr Blitzking. I have not shot anything other than paper with it so far.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: Grizzly JohnsonOriginally Posted By: HibsOriginally Posted By: 5spd

Ammo, yes. But just the bullets are (for 243) $69/500 ZMax vs $21/100 VMax.

Oh I gotcha now..... Thanks for the info.

I bought some in 22 cal called hornady talk to a tech. He said the v max and z max r the same bullet made on the same line. One just has red and one had green. But build the same. Richard

I bought some in 22 cal called hornady talk to a tech. He said the v max and z max r the same bullet made on the same line. One just has red and one had green. But build the same. Richard

I heard that the jacket is thicker, but I cant remember where. The one yote ive shot with it, i got a fair shot on just behind the shoulder. It went through and through, with the exit looking like a bloody grapefruit.
DaFUnk

Last edited:
Back