hornady new 22 arc - thoughts?

Plant.One

i dunno why the video imbed feature isnt showing, so added a direct link to it instead of the imbed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfTVBtNIt8I

new bullet lineup ELD-VT ... i wonder how much of that is like the ELD-X married to a vmax?

factory ammo offerings will include
62 gr ELD-VT - g1 = .382 - g7 =.191 - velocity = 3300 fps (24" barrel gas gun)
75gr ELD-M = 3075 fps (hornady black)
88 ELD-M = 2820 fps (hornady match)

these are gonna be the factory ammo offerings, with bolt gun data to follow with higher pressure ratings to be able to bump this up

now i got somethign i can do to use up some 75gr amax i've been sitting on for a bit now lol

I love that company and the things they do.

I had my head buried deep in the sand until this spring.

I started following along on the podcast.

Next came my 6.5 PRC

Finally i get it.

Interesting how they "market" the new 22 ARC 62 grain load as beating the 55 grain in the 22-250.

Too bad they didn't compare all three cartridges with the new 62 VT bullet.

Of course that would take the shine off their new kid on the block.

Originally Posted By: Kpuck08Because most 250's cant shoot that bullet with their slow twist rates.

Well they could have compared it to their 53 Vmax with a .290 BC vs the .255 of the 55 Vmax.

Even that would skewer their "marketing".....

Why not just put the same bullet in both for a comparison? Velocity is all they care about. I bet some of us have fast twist 22-250's out there. We as handloaders can spin up what tube we want order from our barrel guys. I don't have a lot of interest in the big 22 bullets but my 22 LBC runs right over the top of their 22 ARC just like my 243 LBC runs over the 6 ARC.

Greg

Last edited:
Hornady makes loaded ammo within SAAMI spec... they don't even offer the 53 Vmax in a loaded round for 22-250. At the SAAMI spec for overall length the ogive of the 53 is below the case mouth. Can reloaders have fun with it... absolutely. The vast majority of 22-250 factory rifles out there in circulation are 1-12 or 1-14 twists. Most people do not reload ammo. So this will be a pretty appealing new option for a lot of people... AND it fits the AR15! The new VT bullets will be a pretty appealing new option for reloaders.

My buddy wants us to start reloading his 22-250. He has a Ruger American with a 1-10" barrel. If that will stabilize this new bullet then I think it would be a really good option for him.

Last edited:
With 1/10th of a grain capacity over my Valkyrie I'll just stick with the Valkyrie and my 75 gr ELD-M's. I was taking it out to 700 this fall just for fun and after hunting seasons in January I'm shooting for a Thousand.

I’m liking the new line of bullets. The 62gr will be a great bullet for my 22nosler and the 6mm 80gr will be fun to mess with in my 243 and 6creed.

Gotta love Hornady marketing! This new .22 is a solution in search of a problem. The same thing .224 Valkyrie promised, and trying to recreate the "magic" of .22-250. Based on what I have seen and read, it's a .223 + 300fps. That puts it too close to the .223 and does not even warrant a second look in my book. And I say this as a huge 6mm ARC fan.
The new ELD-VT bullets have me intrigued however. I will try some out and see how they compare to the VMAX and Varmageddons that I'm using now.

I'd way rather have the 224V than the 22ARC.

I get they are trying to get a round that compares to the 22-250 that runs in an AR but with the thin bolts on the Grendel based cartridge they won't take the high pressure the 6.8SPC bolts will. The 6.8SPC variants does everything the Grendel does and safer....

Originally Posted By: Kino MI'd way rather have the 224V than the 22ARC.

I get they are trying to get a round that compares to the 22-250 that runs in an AR but with the thin bolts on the Grendel based cartridge they won't take the high pressure the 6.8SPC bolts will. The 6.8SPC variants does everything the Grendel does and safer....

they did say that they're gonna have bolt data published that will go above and beyond what the AR bolts are capable of handling.... so its got some interesting potential there too

Originally Posted By: Bob AzadiGotta love Hornady marketing! This new .22 is a solution in search of a problem. The same thing .224 Valkyrie promised, and trying to recreate the "magic" of .22-250. Based on what I have seen and read, it's a .223 + 300fps. That puts it too close to the .223 and does not even warrant a second look in my book. And I say this as a huge 6mm ARC fan.
The new ELD-VT bullets have me intrigued however. I will try some out and see how they compare to the VMAX and Varmageddons that I'm using now.

might only be a couple hundred fps faster, but that .395 g1 smokes the current 223 offerings in the same weight class.

that bullet at 3300 is supersonic out past 1k vs the 62gr fmj hornady black 223 that falls off somewhere a little past 700. heck the 62 vt is holding velocity at 1k what the 62gr fmj is at about 630 yds or so.

so that only couple hundred fps and the BC really spank the current 223 offerings when you start to look at them down range

so at least on paper it looks s*xy as [beeep]
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Plant.OneOriginally Posted By: Kino MI'd way rather have the 224V than the 22ARC.

they did say that they're gonna have bolt data published that will go above and beyond what the AR bolts are capable of handling.... so its got some interesting potential there too

Rest assured it will be a complete line of marketing bullsh!t, Hornady is the king of marketing.

There is zero way physically possible that thin Grendel bolt will hold up to the amount of pressure that the 6.8 bolt will and while I'm sure they will "show" the data I'm sure it won't show it heads up against the 6.8 .

Originally Posted By: Kino M

Rest assured it will be a complete line of marketing bullsh!t, Hornady is the king of marketing.

There is zero way physically possible that thin Grendel bolt will hold up to the amount of pressure that the 6.8 bolt will and while I'm sure they will "show" the data I'm sure it won't show it heads up against the 6.8 .

did you miss the part about where i said they were going to publish BOLT GUN data that will allow this round to exceed capabilities of what it can in an AR due to the very specific reason of the bolt strength in the type II grendel bolt face size?

as in non-ar type rifles, with non-ar bolt design pressure limitations?

just making sure we're having the same discussion is all

I think it's got a lot going for it, & paired with the new 62 grain, it will make a great round for day or night, and will appease the non-reloaders quite well.

2 or 3 years ago, I might have hopped on it, but I'm in a happy place now with my 22 DTI.

Originally Posted By: Plant.OneOriginally Posted By: Kino M

did you miss the part about where i said they were going to publish BOLT GUN data that will allow this round to exceed capabilities of what it can in an AR due to the very specific reason of the bolt strength in the type II grendel bolt face size?

as in non-ar type rifles, with non-ar bolt design pressure limitations?

just making sure we're having the same discussion is all

Didn't miss it all, this cartridge is a COMPLETE joke in a bolt gun! Why anyone would choose this over any of the old tried and true favs like 22-250, 243 ect. is either just looking for something different or bamboozled with BS marketing from Hornady. There are many many calibers that beat this new wildcat not only in ballistic performance but also factory ammo availability.

Now just pertaining to ARs, IMO there are better mousetrap available like the 224V, 22x6.8, 22DTI as the bolt will handle much more pressure and will outrun it all day comparing the same bullet and barrel length.

Ballistics don't lie, Hornady marketing does...

Originally Posted By: alfI think it's got a lot going for it, & paired with the new 62 grain, it will make a great round for day or night, and will appease the non-reloaders quite well.

2 or 3 years ago, I might have hopped on it, but I'm in a happy place now with my 22 DTI.

Wait until the loose bullets are available to reloaded than we will actually know and be able to compare apples to apples.

I'll bet money this "new" caliber will loose its luster pretty quickly, especially if the factory guns are fast twist.

Their podcast says the new ELD-VT bullets are light for length. I don't remember how they are making 75 grain length bullets made of lead, coming in at 62 grains.

Sounds like the BC is in the mid to high 3's

They are claiming some very high velocities. Either way, if the bullet shoots good, it will sure buck the wind on the longer varmint shots.

I don't remember anybody saying Hornady's new cartridges are not accurate. Even with cheap barrels.

Maybe this one will be different?

Back