Hornady 52gr A-MAX

ironworker

Gun Shop didn't have any Hornady 55gr V-MAX so I purchased some 52gr A-MAX will these work for varmints.Will they ricocett,are they a safe? What is the difference? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif ricocett

OK so I'm confused here.

Quote: vmax blaster "I was wondering if any of you use the Amax in a 22-250 and what you think of the bullet? What is the difference between the amax and vmax?" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Hi Fellas,

Not here to dispute the intended purpose of the A-Max but here to tell you it performs similar to a V-Max bullet on coyotes and I use it confidently and it is as fur friendly as a V-MAX. I believe in other calibers the A-Max has a differing design than the 52gr offered in .224. My REM 700 VS in .22-250 likes these as well as the 50gr V-Max but I decided to go with the A-Max due to the higer BC. My 1 in 14 twist (or is it 12??) barrel dislikes the 55gr. but loves the 52gr. Best group so far was 5 shots in 0.240 of an inch at 100yrds and a .960 of an inch 3 shot group at 300 yards. This load is using 36.5 grains of Varget. I have ,do , and will continue to use this load on varmints no qualms about it. Shot coyotes from 20yrds out to 290 yrds with bang flop results and minimal pelt damage provided the shot was in the right place.

Regards,
Lefty

Heres a couple shot within 30 minutes and 400 yds. apart. The coyote was shot at 100 yds comin twords me. He was dead right there. Not even a twich.
untitledx.jpg

The Fox was shot at 20 yds. blindshot through tall grass.
untitled2x.jpg

The load was Win brass.Win SR primer.27 gr varget at 2.250 OAL.

They were some left over target loads I tryed at the range and took hunting. Very,Very accurate and explosive.
Bad angle on the Fox I know but the grass may have helped the A-max splat.

jerryboy

Last edited:
Ive used the 52grain amax in a 22-250 Ive used the 105s in 243 and now going to use the 75s in 22-243AI I dont know how much different they are compared to the vmax but the 22 cal ones seem to act just like a vmax the 105s not so much but work really well.

Hey Ironworker, You can get A CATALOG from Hornady, it describe's Every Bullet they make..VERY GOOD ONE..A-max can be used like a Vmax, just a match grade bullet..hornady.com OR 800-338-3220..Great Bullets..! S. Wolf/ Colo...

It was a frontal shot and it hit the right leg bone and exploded. It blew half his heart out 3-5 ft from his body. Gross but I think I was just too close and Foxs are very,very soft skinned. A .22 is plenty I think.
I just couldn't call a fox and let him walk. Any one of the varmint bullets will mame a fox pretty badly. On side (more meaty) shots,I think they work more cleanly but on the coyote,it was a frontal throat shot and it liquified alot of bones and stuff inside. Very,Very explosive bullet.

jerryboy

Just finished loading up a 100 for my 223. Pretty looking bullets. I'm getting great preformance with V-Max bullets in my AR-15 and Rem 700 6x284.Accuracy useing sierra 55 blitz kings out of my AR-15 is marginal. I've been getting 1/2 groups with my Colt H-Bar (Free floating Hand guard).I'm all stoaked up,wait till I get wyle e coyote in my sights!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Back