Homemade wildlife feeders? *PICS ADDED*

It wont. They will climb it upside down. PVC is soft enough to get their claws into.

Originally Posted By: unloadedIf the PVC is loose enough to spin on the legs maybe it will dump them off as they climb?

You guys are making me want to build a feeder just to battle the raccoons. Sounds like it would be fun, filming them and watching them figure out how to get around it.

those spin feeders don't work around bears,they really tear them up!!i use a trash can with a locking lid,i cut inverted "u" in the bottom sides.the corn will "spill" out but stop in a while.the deer learn to kick it to get more corn out.the bears drag it away,but it don't cost much to repair!
6A.jpg

BEFORE BEAR
22A.jpg

after bear

007_07.jpg

another cheap feeder,holds about 50 lbs of corn.4"pvc pipe,a tee and 2 45 st elbows.oh and a cap for the top.a bungee holds it to a tree,remove tilt down and refill.

The feeder I made turned out great! I've got pics and will post later (today is nicest day of weekend). It is assembled but not in place at my spot, waiting for creek to go down.

We use a PVC 6 inch tube and two ratchet straps to attach it to a tree. It's low enough to dump corn in the top without moving it. The tubes have had plenty of muddy bear tracks on them over the years, but none have been damaged yet.

Finally got time to post pics. I got the feeder set up and It looks great. Solar panel is in place and all four corners are anchored down by t-posts. It tested out absolutely perfect. Control unit is "All Season's" out of Texas. I welded 1 1/2 inch pipe to small plates at a either 60 degree or 30 degree angle (depending on how you measure the angle) then welded the plate onto the drum, which was tricky to do since burning through the drum was very easy. The poles are 9 1/2 feet long 1 1/4 inch (almost 1/8 inch) thick. I added one of those spikey metal pieces used to splice boards together and wrapped around each leg. Once set up in the hunting spot I also pained the control unit and poles. That's about it. I think it turned out great and should be relatively varmit proof.

Next trip to the lease I get to check the camera and see what's been going on
Also have to give credit to my 10 year old daughter who helped with the camo job
smile.gif

Yep, they can climb the pipe (legs). Amazing little critters. Even bear will climb.

Click the photos to see the videos. The bear is down-right funny.

Back