Homemade Shooting Sticks- How To

i like the ingenuity and execution. makes for a good looking, functional set of sticks.

i prefer to just stick with a couple 3/8" dowel rods, some camo krylon, and a long leather string for my sticks. the sliding leather string allows for on the fly height adjustment. cheap and effective. fuel for thought.

I use the longest legs from wooden crutches. Yard sales have always got them CHEEP.
Remove the legs & assemble just like what has already been shown. I cut heads off of galvanized nails & insert them in bottom of legs. Pretty handy when confronted by a snake or a pesky dog. ;-)

Last edited:
I have used the fiberglass fence post but you do have to tape them up and wear gloves, but they are strong enough to us as a walking stick and beat the sticker bushes out of the way. Would the carbon fiber decoy poles be strong enough to use for walking sticks also?

securedownload1_zpsd083ca13.jpg.html

i made there in 20mins
2 fiber fence post from tractor supply at 1.29ea.
taped them because they were gray.

Last edited:
Here is my version- I made a tripod instead of a bipod as it is more stable and makes a better rifle support as a stand alone. It is adjustable for terrain and height by leg placement and it is light and serves as a carry handle for my carry box/ seat too. A strip of bicycle tube is used as a rubber band to lock legs together during travel. Cost was pretty much zero.
Upper detail:
photo_zps7dda6a06.jpg

Lower detail:
photo_zpsbc953d7e.jpg

Wider view:
photo_zps3547ead6.jpg

System in use after kill:
photo_zpsf59543dd.jpg

Originally Posted By: Yote.HunterOriginally Posted By: bobeanoguess my pic didnt show up
how do i post pic?

How's this?

thanks
ive made another set out of tomato stakes from lowes
less than 5 bucks invested.

Originally Posted By: bobeano

thanks
ive made another set out of tomato stakes from lowes
less than 5 bucks invested.

On your attempt to post a picture above, you have an extra "http://" in the path of your image. Just delete that and it will work. That's all I did.

I made a pair out of two old graphite shafted golf clubs. Just hacksaw off the club heads, epoxy a large headless nail into each shaft and use a heavy duty zip tie just below the grips to tie them together. They're very lightweight, easy to handle, the rubber grips are quiet and won't mar your gun and with the nails in the end would even make a decent weapon if necessary. I also sanded the shine off the shafts, although, I'm thinking about putting a camo paint job on them.

Last edited:
I use the plastic tomato stakes from Lowes/Home Depot. Very cheap and light. They have an aluminum core which makes them plenty strong. I connect them using a little paracord and a Prusik knot. When tied correctly, you can slide the knot up and down the sticks to adjust height. Once you apply a little weight on it (when you place your rifle) it tightens itself on the sticks and is rock solid. Around six bucks total. Check YouTube for videos on tying a Prusik knot.

Originally Posted By: BagmanI use the plastic tomato stakes from Lowes/Home Depot. Very cheap and light. They have an aluminum core which makes them plenty strong. I connect them using a little paracord and a Prusik knot. When tied correctly, you can slide the knot up and down the sticks to adjust height. Once you apply a little weight on it (when you place your rifle) it tightens itself on the sticks and is rock solid. Around six bucks total. Check YouTube for videos on tying a Prusik knot.

i made some from same stakes,i must have a stix fetish now.every time i see somthing thats look like would work i gotta make a set.getting a lot of sets now,lol

Back