Hog hunting advice

Smokin250

I am sure this topic has been beat to death but i haven't really found answers to my questions yet.

I am going hog hunting in southern Alabama in march with some buddies on a 6000 acre free range ranch. Just curious if any one could give me any tips or advice to help my odds. My understanding of the ranch is that the owner is a friend of my buddy. The guy owns the property and runs deer, turkey, and quail hunts off of it. The pigs have gotten so bad he is letting people come in and pay to hunt pigs. So, we will basically be first guys to hunt it. I have been told he has starting feeding them since to day after deer season has ended and is getting trail cam pictures of them left and right on the feeders and food plots. I have only been pig hunting one other time and that was Texas in '06 and i didn't even see a pig the entire week i was there...so hopefully i can redeem myself this time. Any advice would be appreciated! I hunt everything up here in Ohio but know nothing about pig hunting.

Thanks
Brian

Set up over the bait stations. If it is usually dry, go for water holes and set up there. Spot and stalk hog hunting is very difficult in thick country.

Sounds good looks like ill just have too see how it goes. My buddy said he talkdd to the guy down there and said they have been seeing a ton of hogs

Yep!! That works best. Just behind the point of the shoulder.

Through the front shoulders works too, if you aren't plannin on shoulder roasts.

Last edited:
Behind the shoulder with bow or .223 will do the trick. You may not get a good blood trail with either.

Smyrnabowhogs10-10.jpg

SmyrnaSow1-4-11.jpg

DavyCrockettARhog2011.jpg

Big boars often have a thick shield that may, so I would try and stay behind the shoulder and not through it.

I'm sure hunting them in a stand coming to the feed will be fun, but you orta round some boys up with dogs, let em string it out and come in and knife him, it'll get your heart a pumping for sure!

Originally Posted By: YellowhammerThey can smell pretty good. Try and stay downwind.

That's an understatement. They can smell REALLY good.
wink.gif

Back