Hodgdon H4198 vs. Hodgdon H335

I don't have any numbers from my 335 loads in the winter, all I know is in the summer plinking months they shoot great half inch groups most the time and hunting in -10 and especially -20 overnights in the winter they sound like a wet fart going off and have caused a number of suspicious misses.

As for the H322, it's in Hodgdons extreme powder line so it is probably great for temp stability but I've never used it but plan on playing with some with 52gr ELDs. H1000, Retumbo and H322 are the only hodgdon extreme powders I haven't shot, but the rest have been great. But 322 is a stick powder so it's probably poor for metering. Honestly I wouldnt throw charges for any rifle round unless it's going to be a low charge meant for some shooting at milk jugs at the range, but even my H335 plinking ammo I weigh out.

I have shot a bit of H335 and between 15 to 85 degrees things are just fine, I use it in a 16" AR with 4x scope so I am not usually measuring groups with a micrometer and I don't have a chrony for velocity checks, if I want velocity estimations I shoot at various ranges and measure drops and do the math, I don't do any of those measurements at -10 or less. But there is a difference once you get below zero and certainly around -20. Otherwise H335 is good stuff, but it's an old recipe and there are more modern powders now.

Are you dead set on using a powder measure?

If you are I would find the recipe your gun likes and use that for 95% of the year then fill a 20 round box with ammo that has .5 gr more H335 in it and label that "BELOW ZERO" and take that ammo out on the real frigid days. Or if you're real determined do some load tests on those real cold days and find out just how much more H335 you have to add to match your normal ammo.

I should also add, make sure to use magnum primers with ball powder, ignition isn't great with ball powder and standard primers and the cold will make that even worse.

Last edited:
I’m for sure not dead set on using a powder measure but it would be much easier, wouldn’t it? I’m very open to the most accurate powder and best performing powder over a easier measuring powder that’s for sure. I don’t care what powder or brand that is either, I just wanna make sure when I make purchases I do my diligence to ensure that I’m doing it correctly. Reloadings new to me but shooting isn’t and this 6x6.8 wildcat cartridge that I’m getting into is especially, is a way different beast and far out of my norm. Just wanting good info and I see that this forum has a group of men that have great wisdom on these topics. So I figured why not plug into these men and seam wise counsel.

I was given a fair amount of 4198 powder, from a guy getting out of reloading. I see it’s a bit fast, right now looking at lighter bullets in 223 loading. Yes, good metering can be an issue. If buying I look into a powder that flows easily, with the rest of the factors.

The 2 powders for 6x6.8 seem to be 8208 and h322 for 55s and 58s. Arcomp has worked great for me with 70's. I let the gun pick the bullet and powder it likes. H322 is worth close to 200 fps over 8208 but I always shoot what is most accurate.

Last edited:
TAC. Is a ball powder burns clean. Not very temp sensitive.
Good fps take a look.

I went to western powders published data...... and they list ramshot xterminator...... or accurate 2230 ...they are ball powders and burn clean... similar to TAC.... i would recommend them instead of TAC if they don't list tac.

Last edited:
Back