Helping my son look for a decent 223 calling rifle

JTPinTX

Custom Call Maker
My oldest son is getting ready to buy a calling/plinking rifle, and is looking for advice on some different brands/models he should be looking at.

His criteria is a sporter weight 223, something nice and easy to carry. Blued finish is fine, I can always cerakote it for him if he wants that later. Same on the stock, decent wood would be fine, but a synthetic I could do some cerakote camo on it for him would work as well. He would prefer one with a decently stable stock, and not just a flimsy piece of junk. A 1:12" twist would be OK, but personally I feel a 1:9" would be better and allow more flexibility. Not a deal breaker though. The rifle will be run with a suppressor and the barrel will get chopped down at least to 20", and maybe even 18". Micro action or compact models would be a plus as well.

Most important would be a brand/model known for producing good accuracy out of a the box. No guarantees I know, but for sure trying to avoid some brands that are known to be problematic. We can bed/tinker/tune as needed, just don't want to get into the wholesale replacement of parts on a new rifle. Basically take it, tweak it, and shoot it.

He wants it in 223 just to have something very economical to do some high volume practice with, yet still be able to shoot coyotes out to 250 yards or so. He will be reloading for it also. Obviously, he wants the best quality rifle he can get for the money, yet still stay within some kind of moderate budget. He already has a Leupold 4.5x14 VX3 can can put on it, so glass is taken care of.

He likes my CZ-527, but that would be pushing the top end of his budget, about the $650-700 range. Honestly around $500-$550 would fit his price range much better.

So what are you guys recommendations at to some rifles he should go look at and fondle at the gun stores as he searches?

Last edited:
I would take a look at the Tikka t3 lite. I just picked one up in 22-250 for 500.00$ brand new. Sounds like it may be right up your ally. They do offer 223 but not sure what twist.

If he likes the CZ, check out the Micro Howa...I do wish they were twisted faster, but still cool little guns.

The Ruger American Ranch would be my pick....neat little guns, twisted right, and excellent shooters.

Light weight, threaded barrel, most of what the OP is looking for. Boyd's offers stocks for cheap.Price is right! There ya go!

The American stocks arent bad with the bedding system they use. 350 for that gun is a [beeep] of a deal...and a [beeep] of a gun...

Originally Posted By: liliysdadIf he likes the CZ, check out the Micro Howa...I do wish they were twisted faster, but still cool little guns.

The Ruger American Ranch would be my pick....neat little guns, twisted right, and excellent shooters.
Only problem with the Howa
is the stock is a pos.My son bought one and the gun is a shooter after you lose the stock but then your at Cz prices

Originally Posted By: JTPinTXMy oldest son is getting ready to buy a calling/plinking rifle, and is looking for advice on some different brands/models he should be looking at.

His criteria is a sporter weight 223, something nice and easy to carry. Blued finish is fine, I can always cerakote it for him if he wants that later. Same on the stock, decent wood would be fine, but a synthetic I could do some cerakote camo on it for him would work as well. He would prefer one with a decently stable stock, and not just a flimsy piece of junk. A 1:12" twist would be OK, but personally I feel a 1:9" would be better and allow more flexibility. Not a deal breaker though. The rifle will be run with a suppressor and the barrel will get chopped down at least to 20", and maybe even 18". Micro action or compact models would be a plus as well.

Most important would be a brand/model known for producing good accuracy out of a the box. No guarantees I know, but for sure trying to avoid some brands that are known to be problematic. We can bed/tinker/tune as needed, just don't want to get into the wholesale replacement of parts on a new rifle. Basically take it, tweak it, and shoot it.

He wants it in 223 just to have something very economical to do some high volume practice with, yet still be able to shoot coyotes out to 250 yards or so. He will be reloading for it also. Obviously, he wants the best quality rifle he can get for the money, yet still stay within some kind of moderate budget. He already has a Leupold 4.5x14 VX3 can can put on it, so glass is taken care of.

He likes my CZ-527, but that would be pushing the top end of his budget, about the $650-700 range. Honestly around $500-$550 would fit his price range much better.

So what are you guys recommendations at to some rifles he should go look at and fondle at the gun stores as he searches?

Thompson Center Compass or Savage Axis.

Tikka T3 Compact, already 20" length and threaded for a can. A reputation for accuracy out of the box. Groups usually tighten up nicely after a 100 rounds or more.

Thanks for all the input guys. Most of those were already on my list, the Tikka T3 Compact, Howa Mini, and RAR. I hadn't thought of the TC Venture, I will have him check into that one as well.

Some questions on the Howa. It looks like it comes in either a blind magazine or 10 round detachable version. Does that 10 round detachable work good? Feed good? It looks kind of long. Does it stick down far enough to be a pain carrying it slung in the field? Also which stock is the one that is the flimsy one, the Hogue or the house brand, or both?

For those with the Tikka, what is the stock like on them?

TC dimension. Stock is lop adjustable, can change calibers. Mine in 223 is consistently well under moa with Fiocchi 40 gr vmax. I have picked up 50 rounds for less then 25$. Stock seems better than the Axis,Venture and similar entry-level synthetic rifle stocks.

Originally Posted By: JTPinTX
For those with the Tikka, what is the stock like on them?

I have an early version T3 Lite, with a 1:12 twist barrel, before Tikka went to 1:8 twist, and the stock is decent as plastic factory stocks go. I have never felt the need to swap it out, or even bed it. The rifle shoots sub-MOA and even a number of sub-.5MOA groups, with the 50 gr. VMax loads developed for it. Hence never feeling the need to to anything with the stock.
grin.gif

The new T3x models have an improved stock, with a replaceable palm swell...But the price goes up, as well. At my gun store, they were running specials on the T3 Lite models, filling up the rack with T3x models, so now might be a good time to buy a T3 Lite, if one can live with the stock.

Squeeze

I have the Howa Mini in 204 Ruger. Great gun 20" barrel. Light and easy to handle. I didn't like the release on this Mini, because it is in the wrong place. It is at the front end of the clip and was too long. It would ketch on stuff and release. I fixed it by cutting it off so I could just release it with my finger and it is fine now. I have a 10 round clip and it loads and feeds great. The trigger came in 2.5 pounds of pull. This saved me from buying a Timney trigger. The stock is stiffer material than in the past and I think this is an improvement also. I have 2 other Howa's and they all are shooters when I find out what they like. I reload. The other short Howa I have is a 22-250 Ranchland predator. It handles nice and has a rubberized stock, which I don't mind at all. Rudy

I've had Tikka's for about 15 years and the early composite stocks had a little flex in the forearm.
The new X stock is much more rigid. The new vertical grip is very nice with a larger palm swell, it improves shoot-ability and handling. About $20 and 2 min to change.
Wood stock models have been good with a couple of them being a little softer wood.

I just this morning, I shot my new Ruger American for the first time. I must say that my initial impression before shooting it was just so-so, but favorable since I bought it for a specific purpose and knew what I was buying. After shooting it, My impression went way up. I went with the compact in .223. I shot 50g NBT loads that I worked up for a M77. They were neck-sized only but since they chambered, I figured I'd give it a shot. 5 shot groups in the .75 MOA range impressed the [beeep] outa me The gun is plain, very light and quick handling and cheap enough that I dont care about dragging it around in the back of my truck at night. So plain that I'll probably end up just painting it because who cares. I don't mean for this to be so much a review of the rifle as a recommendation of what i think would make a great calling/plinking rifle that meets all of your criteria, and well below your stated budget. Free ammo is a good thing!

Back