Help with accuracy on a DTECH upper

No one has mentioned the scope yet, but looking at those groups all in a different place on the target, the scope is worth looking into. I'd try a box of 32 gr ammo if you can find it, then if that groups the same try swapping scopes. If that test fails to correct it I'd start handloading and try some 40 gr bergers. Handloading will allow you to seat the bullets out farther than factory ammo is typically loaded at. I have found some 204's like a longer coal than 2.26".

Or sell it to me for a deep discount and I'll sort it out!
thumbup1.gif

I called Mike Monday to get an idea of what to ask for my Dtech 243 WSSM and a bunch of brass. I couldn't remember what barrel it had and he told me to look right in front of the gas block for markings on the barrel. Since the barrel has the Norel coating, markings were filled in and difficult to see/read. All I could read was WSSM and the M only half of the M was visible. Couldn't see any numbers but he told me it was an Oly SS super match barrel based on that marking. Not sure if it was stamped 243 or not, but it was not visible.

This rifle was built in 2007 before he started marking his gas blocks.

Have you checked for copper fouling?

Regards,
hm

ah, more good info.

I don't particularly like the scope. I bought it used so I don't know the history. And I feel like after I adjust it, it takes a couple shots to settle down. Plus I think I'm close to the far side of adjusting to the right. I may need to call Nikon and see if I can get them to inspect it.

Copper fouling...hmm. I should really give it a good cleaning. The past 75 shots I've just used a bore snake. Before that I cleaned it with Hoppe's bore cleaner but not the copper remover. The barrel probably has 400 rounds through it so maybe it is due for a better cleaning.

After hearing that news I definitely suspect the scope is at fault. Mike's uppers are always squared up, so unless you have bad rings somehow the scope's adjustment should be pretty well centered up. And a scope that takes a couple shots to settle down would definitely have to go.

I spent a little time cleaning it today. I don't have the copper cleaner but I don't see any signs of copper in the rifling. The bore was pretty clean actually. I got some dirt out when I used a brass brush, but after that the patches are coming out clean.

The one thing I've noticed is possibly some powder build up at the end of the barrel. This is hard to describe and I can't get a picture of it. My barrel has the integral compensator, so the rifling stops about 1" inside the barrel. The last 1" is more open, like a muzzle break. If I look just right, I can see where the .204" bore stops and widens to the tip. However, where the bore stops, the machining is either not smooth, or there is build up of some sort. I'll see if I can get a harsher cleaner (I only have Rem oil) and get it out.

I still need to call Nikon and see if I have any options on the scope. It took me forever to get it zero'd due to the settling issue, but I thought that was just me.

Originally Posted By: jdohioah, more good info.
Copper fouling...hmm. I should really give it a good cleaning. The past 75 shots I've just used a bore snake. Before that I cleaned it with Hoppe's bore cleaner but not the copper remover. The barrel probably has 400 rounds through it so maybe it is due for a better cleaning.

If it has 400 rounds thru it and you don't think there is any cooper in it!!!! well, you got a special, one of a kind of barrel...

Before you waste your time with the scope i would pick up some Wipe-out or Barnes cr-10 and spend a little time getting the COPPER out of it...

Back