HELP!!!! Rem 700 VSSF II Vs. Howa Axiom .22-250?

JVHome869

I am on the fence and having a really hard time deciding and need pros and cons of these two weapons. Please help me decide. Please tell me why one or the other. I have shot the Rem that a buddy has and I have killed multiple animals with it on many different occasions. BUT I really like the Howa offering. and its a weatherby to boot. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Jay

I have a Remington VSSF II in 22-250 I bought from a desperate friend. I use it for shooting pds on occasion and I have taken it coyote hunting a few times. Very accurate rifle and other than needing a little trigger work I have no complaints.....except that for a carry rifle it is a bit heavy for an all day hike. Never even picked up a Howa.

Weight would be a factor in the decision as well. The Axiom is a 12 lb rifle. The rem is 8.5. Id try to look at both and shoulder them and see what feels best. Howas are usually good shooters straight from the box.

Originally Posted By: skb2706Originally Posted By: JVHome869Wow 19 views and still no comments?
Thanks Jay

wow 5 posts in a year and a half

Haha!! Busted!
smile.gif

Can't go wrong with either IMHO. Buy the one that fits you best.

Thanks to all for your positive comments. I am not concerned with wieght as this will be a still stand gun. I am more concerned with accuracy and funcinality! Let me know what you think?

Thanks

Accuracy? Id go Howa. Now despite the fact that Rem is the small block chevy of actions, they usually need a little more work to shoot as well as some others straight from the Box. Do a search on Google, and you can read prior to making a choice. Ifyou like the Remi, you can still get an Axiom stock for it, but it will set the price a little higher. My Howa has a Timney trigger that adjusts easily. The stock triggers in both rifles leave a little to be desired. See which brands have more problems prior to purchase. Good Luck !

Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357Accuracy? Id go Howa. Now despite the fact that Rem is the small block chevy of actions, they usually need a little more work to shoot as well as some others straight from the Box. Do a search on Google, and you can read prior to making a choice. Ifyou like the Remi, you can still get an Axiom stock for it, but it will set the price a little higher. My Howa has a Timney trigger that adjusts easily. The stock triggers in both rifles leave a little to be desired. See which brands have more problems prior to purchase. Good Luck !

Ornery...Thanks for the info. The Remy I have posted in question is one step out from the custom shop so most of the work has been done already. It is the Sandero but in a Short action. Why do you say the Howa...do you have personal experience with it?

Thanks Jay

You're going to find a large following of Remington fans regardless of what you're comparing.

I currently own Remington 700s in a VS .223 and a Classic in .222

I also own a Howa Ultimate Varminter in .223 and a Howa (S&W) 1500 in .222

Without a doubt, the Howas shoot better with more loads than the Remington 700s.

That's not to say the 700s down shoot with the right loads, but I can feed a lot to my Howas and they seem to shoot well regardless.

Get the remington leave the foreign stuff alone yeah they shoot but they arent worth the price

natchezz has the axiom stock for like 160 if you are in to that

also if it is a current vssf it should have the new externally adjustable trigger if it does not I would ask for a break on the price or a current gun

I'm going to say Howa, I have owned both Remingtons and Howas and will say that Howas are put together a lot better and will out shoot a Remington out of the box and they are cheaper. The Japanese do have some of the best machinists.
myrifle.jpg

70grainsierrablitzking2.jpg

Originally Posted By: nitisGet the remington leave the foreign stuff alone yeah they shoot but they arent worth the price

I couldn't disagree with you more.

For the price Howa puts out a great gun. Check out CDNN for a nice selection on brand new guns all for less than $400 NIB.

You can't even get a used 700 for $400.

I haven't ever had the Axiom stock, but it should take care of the previous (terrible) stock issues Howa had.

I have a couple of Howas that after some backyard gunsmithing shoot pretty well.

I have a number of Rems that after some backyard gunsmithing shoot pretty well.

If you ever might contemplate doing a full boat accurizing/blueprint, get the Rem.

If you are worried about the weight, get the Rem.

If you want a cheap rifle that will shoot reasonably well without any further work, get the Howa.

OR...get both, do a side by side comparison, and let us know.
laugh.gif

Back