Help me convince myself that I need a 17 rem

Varmint Master

So i have been doing alot of reading and thinking I need a 17 rem, probably in the CZ platform. I don't know a whole lot about the cartridge, but I know there is alot of fellas on here that do. So I am not wanting to start a battle on here but i would like to know what my max range on a fox could be? What pills you guys are shooting, what velocity and trajectories. And pretty much any pro's and con's on the caliber. I have owned .204,.223,22-250, and .243 in bolt and ar platforms and im just in the mood for something small and different. That said, I appreciate all the responses and thanks!

It's fun and you don't have one yet.

As long as you reload, Consider yourself convinced.
thumbup.gif

Once ya start with the 17's there is no turning back. If you want a fur harvesting rifle it's THE one. For foxes a 20 grain Vmax coming out of the muzzle a 43-4400 fps. For yotes step up to a 30 grain pill (Nagel, Berger, or woodchuck den) @ 38-3900 fps. Honest realistic yardages are 250-300 max. I'm sure there are guys who have made longer kill shots but........... Get a 9 twist barrel to stabilize the 30 grn. pills. Keep it clean. I generally go 20-25 shots between cleanings. Others go much longer. Biggest cause for accuracy loss in a 17 is a dirty or copper fouled pipe.

Aaron

You don't need a 17 Rem.

However, it is obvious that you want a 17 Rem.

The economy could use the boost. Go ahead and buy one. Buy an expensive one. Don't do it because you need one. Do it because you want one. Do it for your country!

'cause it's fast and it's cool (fur friendly) what more reason do ya need?
Just see you local Corvette dealer or
you may wanna check out the Coyote gods forum (Yikes) for more reasons to but a 17 rem. I think its a religion over there. * no blaspheme intended *

Good luck in your quest for a 17, these are indeed a very cool Varmint getter. I would say max range would be around 300 yds.
YMMV.
cheers

why do you say that beagler? i thought you could load a 17 rem to a FB but not the other way around? not hating on you just curious and im .17 cal stupid

Dittos to what everyone else has said! I got my 1st .17 Remington way back in 1979 and have enjoyed them ever since. And trust me, things are MUCH better for the .17 Remmy now then they were back then! For example there were TWO (count 'em- TWO!) bullets for the .17 back then. One from Remington and one from Hornady and both were 25 grain hollow points. I did not even have a .17 caliber funnel back then. Try getting 25 grains of IMR 4350 down a hole smaller than a BB! Slow process indeed.

The CZ 527 Varmint is going to be your best bet. Set trigger, good looking and best of all accurate. Several years ago I was in Wyoming on a prairie dog hunt with mine. Let one of my hunting companions take a turn with my .17 and I was not sure that he was ever going to give it back to me! He had been shooting his 22/250 all day and was delighted to set it down for a spell and start nailing the dogs with the .17 caliber. He really made my day when he said "Man! How can you even miss them with this thing?". My longest kill on a prairie dog with my .17 Rem was an even 400 yards lazer ranged from my bench to the mound that I shot him off of. Used a 20 grain Vmax for it. No signs of the hit at that range but dead he was. Not wanting to be wasteful I propped his carcass back up on the mound and shot him again with my .220 Swift. Got some pretty colors that time!

So if you think that you need a .17 Remington then I am going to say that you are 100% correct. They are, as they say, too much fun.

Originally Posted By: Varmint Masterwhy do you say that beagler? i thought you could load a 17 rem to a FB but not the other way around? not hating on you just curious and im .17 cal stupid

And yes, that is true. You can certainly load the .17 Rem down to .17 FB (that mostly how I shoot mine) but you cannot load the .17 FB up to the power of the .17 Remington. Kinda like .357 Magnums and .38 Specials in a way.

Originally Posted By: Rustydust Not wanting to be wasteful I propped his carcass back up on the mound and shot him again with my .220 Swift. Got some pretty colors that time!

Rusty,

I would call that a "target of opportunity"
thumbup.gif

Aaron

I consider the 17 Rem to be the finest varmint caliber on the planet.

I've got one in a Sako 75 and believe that anyone would be hard pressed to find a better critter gitter.

Originally Posted By: Coyote_Hunter_AZYou don't need a 17 Rem.

However, it is obvious that you want a 17 Rem.

The economy could use the boost. Go ahead and buy one. Buy an expensive one. Don't do it because you need one. Do it because you want one. Do it for your country! COYOTE HUNTER - I like yours and mike 21 replies. Varmiintmaster- i am curious . how much for pelts one the average?? the other poster is correct at cohyotegods if you shoot anything other than a .17 or defame it in any way you face the rath. if i did get a .17 it would be a cz or sako. enjoy. report back on your choice and your results.

i know i don't "need" one but I do WANT a small caliber and the 17 rem is really sticking out. Im pretty well set on the CZ, and it helps my friend is a dealer. With the 1 in 9 twist, what range of pills would it stabilize and what powders are you fellas running? Thanks for everyone's knowledge and input.

As for drop and wind deflection the 17 Rem with 30gn golds would have the same ballistics as a 22-250 or 220 Swift with 55gn Bergers or Vmax bullets. All but a couple coyote we have shot with 22-250 were a mess
thumbdown.gif
The 17 is more like it died from a hart attack
thumbup1.gif

No need to try and convince you that you need a 17 Remington but I have shot every caliber you could imagine at coyotes and believe me the 17 Remington is one of the best and fastest rounds I have ever used for varmit shooting. If you reload it is cheap to shoot.
The best part of it is that it doesn't ruin hides. You will never ruin a hide unless you skim the side of the coyote or Bobcat or what ever. Hitting them dead on anywhere will not blow a hole. I have never blown a hole in any hide with my 17 Remington except one that was facing me and I skimmed the side opening him wide open all the way down the side. The 204 is every bit as good as the 17 Remington. I love mine and wouldn't trade it for anything. I have a bolt action Remington bought at Cabela's. If you don't care about saving hides and selling them and like to sew up holes then go with something else.
When Crowmag says that they die like they had a heart attack he is right. Most of the time you have to look very hard to see where the bullet entered as the bullet just goes inside and explodes. Drops them like you wouldn't believe.

Well now ... I thought I was convinced that a .221 Fireball would be my next fur gun purchase, but now I'm thinking that this .17 Remington might be just the ticket!

Always been afraid to venture into the .17 cal market. Thought that I would get disgusted when these biggger midwest coyotes do the 'ol spin & run! Can't shoot cats here & have very few fox to speak of, so for me, the .17 Remington would basically be just a coyote rifle.

Sorry, but I can't convince myself muchless anyone else!
confused.gif

Here is the load I use in my 17 Remington. It is very accurate.
H335 20.5 Grns
fps 3500
Hornady 25 grn HP
CCI SRM

Here is a price comparison I made a couple of years ago between the 204 and 17 Remington. I have both.

17 REM. = 341.46 rds. Per lb @20.5grs
Brass -36.00 PER 100 = .36 each
Powder = .05
Bullet = .14
Primer = .02
Total
new load = .57 =
10 fires------- =.246 =

204 RUGER = 333.33 rds. per lb @ 21grs
Brass= 18.00 Per 100 =.18each
Powder= 21grs = .06
Bullet= 39gr Sierra = .15
Primer= WSR= .02
Total
.41 each new load
= .248 ten fires

Last edited:
I like shooting my dad's 17 remington. no kick . and second we are not reloaders after we found out it was hard to get remington bullets we found the hunting shack and reeds ammo both have several choices in loads..

These are 2 loads that are extremely accurate in my rifle. (Rem. 700 lvsf)

25 Grain Nagel H.P. bullet
23.7 grns. IMR 8208 XBR
Rem 7 1/2 primer

20 grn Vmax
23.5 grns. Benchmark
Rem. 7 1/2 primer

These are not hot loads in my rifle. As you know start lower and work your way up with any load........

My rifle is a 10 twist, didn't bother trying to work up a load for 30 grn. pills.

aaron

Back