Help I’m forming 6x6.8 brass wrong

Hcboy

So I formed some brass tonight and without checking the inside diameter of the neck I went to seat a bullet and I pushed the neck of the brass back into the brass case. I then measured the inside diameter and they are to small. What could I have done wrong in order to get then neck size wrong and what is it supposed to be? How do I change it and get the brass I’ve sized back to the correct inside diameter? What tips do you gentlemen have for this newbie in sizing this brass down?

I’m using the Hornady dies, and I didn’t chamfer but when I measured the id of the neck it is .239. It’s new brass and I didn’t chamfer.

Do you have the expander/decapper pin in the die? It should stick 3/16" out of the bottom. Should give you the correct Neck ID when you are pulling the case out of the die. I struggled with the bushing dies but the Hornady die is a drama free dream for me.

Also make sure your seater die is set correctly. Put an empty case in the press and raise it all the way up. screw the die in until it touches the case and back it off a turn. I had my die screwed in too far and had the same neck crushing results.

Originally Posted By: GLShooterLast report all is well in case forming land. It was the chamfer.

Greg

I learned in the early days loading 22 hornet that a chamfer is a must. Smashed a few before I learned my lesson

Yep, this turned out to be a minor issue and was easily fixed. Out of the nearly 50 dies i sent out I have yet to come across an actual die issue. If it does come up though, these dies are warrantied by hornady the same as any over the counter set.

Originally Posted By: midwestpredatorYep, this turned out to be a minor issue and was easily fixed. Out of the nearly 50 dies i sent out I have yet to come across an actual die issue. If it does come up though, these dies are warrantied by hornady the same as any over the counter set.

One other thing is that if you find the dies are not able to bump back your shoulders enough, thanks to barrel vagaries, you can grind 0.020 of the shell holder and give yourself some working room. Don't worry it won't hurt a thing on your loading and reliability.

Greg

Thanks for all your input guys. I’d load up some pictures if I could only figure it out.

I got 4 cases loaded successfully and they fired great. I now have some fire formed brass to use the Hornady headspace comparator tool to get good measurements on my shoulders thanks to the advice given to me by these wise gentlemen. My issues were by no means the dies but from my own inexperience. I really appreciate all the help and advice that you shared and the time you gave me to help me get this squared away.

Back