Help a WV newbie out!

wvyote

Finally got a foxpro after 2 years of waiting! picked up a fx3 and charger on ebay last week. ive managed to call in a few with a hand call but never got a shot(night time hunting). dont see alot of talk from the wv guys/gals on here.once deer season is over im gonna go after them hard! Any mountaineers out there have some tips to help shorten up my learning curve?

Ive seen a couple Mountaineers on here and even had one to come and hunt with me this past weekend
grin.gif
...Maybe one of them will chime in and say hello....Welcome to Predator Masters and we are glad to have you here.....

Chad

Hello from Barbour County! I haven't been around much lately but I'll be doing some screamin soon.
Welcome and good luck.

One suggestion is get away from the roads. Around here we have alot of people that drive around and play or blow calls from their vehicles. All this does is educate the coyotes.

We deer hunted over near Wheeling the first morning...and one was howlin away......good luck hope ya bag a few...plan on going after them a little more once the deer hunters are out of the woods also...

thanks guys.been adding to my gear pile(savage 17 for night hunting,got the foxpro,i know i have a mojo critter and a primos 350 light waiting under the christmas tree).reading up and waiting for deer season to be over.have a battery jump pack and a cyclops light waiting to be chopped up.tryin to decide on a scope for the 17.(overtime has been pickin up at work finally)

havent heard the 2 packs at our place in barbour county like i have the past 2 years in a row.found some scat on the place in taylor county i deer hunt though.havent heard anyone talk about them like they did the past 2 years.guess well see what happens!

Line up as many places to hunt as possible. For a full nights hunting, it is good to have about 8-10 places. For the next night, 8-10 more.

WVyote,
They can be killed during the day as well daylight is a primetime but I've killed them all times in the day. You won't always hear them howl either to let you know where they are. If you are finding fresh scat that is a good place to start. Also I hunt alot of woods and clear cuts during the day. Treestands are a great asset here as well. Yotes here tend to like woodlots around farm land if you can find brushy field close to agriculture fields are a good place to start lots of mice and rabbits usually close by. You need to rotate your spots as well I usually don't hunt the same place in two weeks if I can help it. I hope this helps a little even though I live in VA.

dont buy any calls from wal mart or local sporting goods stores coyotes learn these calls espcially when people go blowing and not paying attention they will learn the tones and sounds of a call i have killed a bunch and have killed coyotes on a farm hour after another person tried. i make or buy all my calls from out west it will make a difference

Back