Helmet setup advice

I run dual tubes on my helmet, but then also have a Surefire V1-B Vampire light in the IR setting. This is used to see eye shine from any animal. It is effective out to 200-300 yards for this. So if anything is looking at me, I will see their eye reflection coming back.

As for people combining thermal with night vision, I have not personally seen a setup that really is useful. I prefer a good handheld thermal and then pocket that to get ready for the shot. I have not walked around with a thermal mounted optic either, but there appears to be a reason for there not being a lot of options out there. Walking with night vision, in my opinion, is better and more effective, especially in mountainous terrain with unstable footing. Remember, when we hike out to our stand, we are not exactly using a sidewalk. The other concern is weight, thermal optics are pretty heavy. My thermal scope is quite heavy and I would not want to try and counter weight that thing.

Plus 1 for the EOD gear. I have that counter weight on my bump helmet and it ver versatile.

What therals are you guys running and do you like them? I have been on the fence between the armasight 640 and the MH25... I am getting mixed oppinions. I like the price of the armasight, but dont want to skimp out on a thousand bucks if the MH25 is a better unit...
I was looking into the Sidekick because it is cheap. A guy tested one and said it doesn’t do well in the humidity we have here where we live.

The price is attractive and it’s an American company. Hard to be as good as a China unit for less money though.

I was at the outdoors show in Harrisburg last week and talked to the Bearing guys. They have a new 384 scanner coming out in June that is about half the size of a Hogster, I'm guessing. Very small and is designed for head/helmet applications. If they had one at the show, I would have bought it right then.

Will they be offering it in 640 as well? I have no interest in 384 resolution anything after using 640…. Id rather save longer than by something less than the best image I can reasonably afford…. I know 384 is fine for many guys that kill way more coyotes than we do, but I hunt a lot and the 640 clarity is so worth it to me…

After talking with a several dealers all of them told me the iray has the best image in the 4k and under price range, one of them I know to be a good honest man and was just telling me facts has led me to rule out the armasight sidekick, and I’m pretty much set on the iray mh25 640.

I’m sure the Bering helmet mounted scanner will be nice, but the iray has been tried and proved for several years now with glowing reviews from many guys.

Will they be offering it in 640 as well? I have no interest in 384 resolution anything after using 640…. Id rather save longer than by something less than the best image I can reasonably afford…. I know 384 is fine for many guys that kill way more coyotes than we do, but I hunt a lot and the 640 clarity is so worth it to me…

After talking with a several dealers all of them told me the iray has the best image in the 4k and under price range, one of them I know to be a good honest man and was just telling me facts has led me to rule out the armasight sidekick, and I’m pretty much set on the iray mh25 640.

I’m sure the Bering helmet mounted scanner will be nice, but the iray has been tried and proved for several years now with glowing reviews from many guys.
I've been using the MH25s for a long time and I'm very satisfied with them. Though I have never had to use their warranty, 5 years / 5 days is hard to beat.

We’ll fellas, a lot of overtime and saving and hours of researching thermals here she is 🙂

Ended up getting the MH25

Super excited to try it out! I wanted to thank those of you who have answered my questions and offered insight. I have been saving and researching my setup for almost a year.

Attachments

• IMG_0949.jpeg
    IMG_0949.jpeg
    102.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0948.jpeg
    IMG_0948.jpeg
    149.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0947.jpeg
    IMG_0947.jpeg
    133.2 KB · Views: 32
Back