Heavy Shot Dead Coyote T shot Alternative

COYKILL

Went to buy a box today untill I seen the price. Is there another brand of T shot that would be as good but more reasonably priced?

I have had good luck with Federal 4-buck. It seems to pattern the best out of my 870 out to 50 yards. It is much cheaper than the Dead Coyote too.

Those nickel plated lead BB's from Hornady might be really good - really good. Try them with a non-wad stripping choke because Hornady uses a wad like the Federal Flite Control wad. I would try the regular factory short flush mount Improved Modified and/or the Full choke and see how they shoot.

If not those then a good No. Four Buck load or one of the lead BB loads would be my next pick in the more economical choices. If money weren't a worry then the Federal Heavyweight Coyote load of tungsten BB's would certainly be worth a look.

The only T shot option I was able to find was steel loads.If you know someone who can load some shells for you I would suggest asking him for help.That way you can load T or any size lead you want.

I was patterning the gun today and with 4 Buck I tried three different brands and the Winchester Super X was by far the best shot out of the Kicks Howler "L". I also shot Hevi Shot Dead Coyote T with the Hevi Shot tube and got pretty nice patterns. All at 40 yard shooting. I am thinking about getting the other Kicks Howler for the Hevi Shot and see what that does. What will reach out farther the Heavy Shot T or the 4 Buck? I will shoot more but the Hevi shot is very expensive and I want to wait for the other tube. If cost was not an option what would most of you shoot 4Buck or the Hevi Shot T?

Hevi Shot shoots further with a tighter pattern than No 4 buck. But Remington HD 3" No 4 buckshot loads are a good alternative to the Hevi Shot if you're trying to save money. Hevi Shot dead coyote T loads are great, but I use them sparingly at the price they get for them now. Lately I've been loading the Remington No 4 in my shotgun for the first shot and Hevi T for a second backup shot if needed.

I priced some heavy shot the other day and it was about $5 a shot, and that is just unreasonable.

I shoot the #4 buck, and like the 3 inch, but sometimes it is hard to find.

I would shoot 00 buck before I paid $5 a shot.

I bought a box of 10 for 15 bucks... so a $1.50. In 12 gauge 3.5" T shot. It was at a gun store.... maybe they messed up on the price. Just looking around it is all about $50. What about that Hevi shot Speed Ball?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Ammunition/Shotgun-Ammunition|/pc/104792580/c/104691780/sc/104567580/Hevi-Shot-Speed-Ball-Shotshells/1391047.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fshooting-ammunition-shotgun-ammunition%2F_%2FN-1100191%2B4294751476%2B4294751460%2FNe-4294751460%3FWTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU&WTz_l=Unknown%3Bcat104567580

It is still 3 bucks a shell but it may work well?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: YellowhammerI would shoot 00 buck before I paid $5 a shot.

^^ This...

I shot the Hevi-shot Dead Coyote for a while the year before last, had my wife pick up a box or two on her way home from work for me. Then I was in town and went to pick some up for myself and I saw how much she'd been paying for them!! I almost puked when I realized how much money I had shot into the berm patterning this load with different chokes. Dang sure don't want to miss a coyote with one, as taking two or three shots will eat up your entire hide value!

I'm still trying to find Winchester's Xtended Range HD Coyote B shot, guessing it'll have just a little less effective range than the Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote T's, but they're just under $3 a shot, to the Dead Coyote's $5 per.

I grew up on 00buck Winchester Super-X (20yrs or so on this load, from 2 3/4" to 3 1/2"), have been really enjoying this load with a new Patternmaster choke this winter. Slayed dozens of dogs with it over the years.

Seems the Fed 4buck is the route to go to balance weight against pellet count, I've only had a couple boxes to pattern with, but they've been very promising (can't use Patternmasters, but the Carlson's Dead Coyote choke patterned well with it). 1buck sounds great too, but I haven't been able to find any, short of ordering it online. The Fed's are running in the $1.50-2 ballpark, which is a heck of a lot better than $5.

As much as I wish I could justify Hevi-shot, it's not THAT much better than 00buck for range, and not THAT much better than Fed 4 shot, debatably, it might not be better at all.

I managed to find Remington HD T shot in 3.5 inch this summer and bought 4 cases of it. Sorry to say they no longer make it due to rising cost of the shot itself. They saw the price moving up to where it is now and soon to be higher. If you can find any buy it.

I saw Remigton 2 3/4 #4 buckshot the other day for $4.99 a box(5). I didn't get it because I was looking for 3 inch.

27 pellets in the 2 3/4 and 41 in a 3 inch.

I don't know why everybody gets so worked up about shotgun loads! Use the same bullets ya use for turkey. If their in range #4's will tip them over just as good as anything else.

Originally Posted By: littledawgI don't know why everybody gets so worked up about shotgun loads! Use the same bullets ya use for turkey. If their in range #4's will tip them over just as good as anything else.

No they won't!

Originally Posted By: littledawgI don't know why everybody gets so worked up about shotgun loads! Use the same bullets ya use for turkey. If their in range #4's will tip them over just as good as anything else.

Shotgun bullets?
scared.gif

I did kill a coyote one spring while turkey hunting. 20 yards, 12ga 3" #5 or #6 shot to the face. Flipped her backwards DRT. I wouldn't think that would be typical performance to expect every time though. Winchester makes a #B coyote load that worked pretty good for me this past weekend about $15 for a box of 5.

Double-facepalm.jpg

Back