Heavy Barrel vs Reg Barrel

Originally Posted By: Martyn4802Yes, benchrest shooters use heavy barrels. But, the groups they shoot are measured to the 3rd decimal place. The real issue is, what is your criteria for accuracy? If you can live with groups as shown on the following targets, all shot with sporter weight barrels, you do not NEED a heavy barrel.

BR 100/200 shooters worry more about making weight light/sport rifles weight 10.5 lb and heavy 13.5lbs so you will see longer barrels for a rifle that is set up for that. You can shoot a light rifle or one that has a weight system in the heavy class also. If they decided to drop weight 1 lb you see a slimmer barrel and maybe alittle more length all depends on how rifle rides the bags. The 1000yd BR guys also have two weight classes.

ok, heres my 2 cents. i like a heavy barrel becuase i find that they are more accurate at long range (500+ yds). if you are looking to use your 22 mag to take game at over 100 yds with numerous consecutive shots then a heavy barrel might be what you need. but if you are going to stay within or around 100 yds and there is time for the barrel to cool in between shots, then stick with what you have. 1.5" at 100 yds is not bad for shot groups. this is actually quite good for a stock barrel with such a light round. unless you are going to start shooting competitively then i would stick with what you have. i would recommend a trigger job and lighten the trigger pull up to about 2 lbs before i recommended a new barrel. a lighter trigger pull will help tighten up your shot groups and is cheaper. proper breathe control will also help, but sounds to me like you are doing just fine.

Thanks Guys
Im going to save my money and stay with my regular barrel.After reading all that you posted it makes sence.
Its on a Sportsman .22 mag. and all my shots are 100yds and under. I hunt in alot of brush and its only 35" long making it easy to get around. I just was wanting to try and close up my groups alittle like a 17hmr for 100yrd. crows but Il keep what I got. Thanks Jeff
smile.gif

i love my heavy barreled Rem Sps in 22-250, It is steady offhand or on sticks. I have a regular barrel on my 243 If I was to do it all over I would get it in a Heavy. Either one of them shoot. Pick what feels best to you, as you are the one packing it and shooting it. Weight has never been an issue to me ( except after the holidays)

Thank goodness a person that isn't collapsing under the weight of a heavy barrel. I was beginning to think there were so few of us left and anything over a 1\4 mile walk is a death march. Real world hunting is tough but how great you feel at the end of the day.

Not to hijack, but along the same lines. Is there any value in having a shorter heavy barrel such as 20-21" to bring the balance point back on a lighter rig and yet provide some of the advantage of the heavy barrel,say in a 243 or 308? Never had one,but considering a build in 308 w/a thumbhole stock.

I've got a savage axis HB in a Boyd's thumbhole stock and it shoots very well. It has a Timney trigger and has been pillar and glass bedded but after taking it out calling, I quickly realized that a smaller guy such as me would do much better carrying around a good sporter weight gun. I'd be able to hike farther and it would be much easier to lug around in general. I'm with the sporter weight guys for a gun I'm gonna hunt with. Plus, FWIW, my sporter weight browning x-bolt 25-06 will shoot 1/2 to 3/4" groups with the load I developed for it!

Matt

In my experience barrel weight is not the only factor conducive to accuracy. I've had lots of #2 & #3 barreled rifles that shot smaller groups than varmint contoured barrels.

I think a good trigger is key to make heat of the moment shots. I prefer a 22 to 24 inch varmint contour though. I think they sit on the sticks best. 26" barrel just seems to be too much to carry and swing on a runner. A sporter with a heavy trigger isn't a good combo imo.

Last edited:
Light and fast vs. heavy and stable is a personal choice. I shoot a heavy rifle most of the time for coyotes. My brother shoots a CZ 527 that Kevin Weaver barreled and bedded with a Lilja barrel that is even slimmer than the standard factory barrel. I have a twin to that rifle. Both are in .204 Ruger and both easily shoot .5 moa. I have missed coyotes with rifles that weigh in at 6 lbs. all the way up to 12+ lb. boat anchors.

Back