Hear them all around but they don't come a runnin?

Originally Posted By: wolftrapperI had a similar experience, last winter. I got rid of the decoy (my problems began the first time that I used it)...end of problem. Nearly every time I used the decoy, coyotes howling at me, not coming in. Without it, I got shooting, not howling. I know a lot of hunters use them successfully, but didn't work for me.

Just curious what decoy was not working for you?

Originally Posted By: wolftrapperI had a similar experience, last winter. I got rid of the decoy (my problems began the first time that I used it)...end of problem. Nearly every time I used the decoy, coyotes howling at me, not coming in. Without it, I got shooting, not howling. I know a lot of hunters use them successfully, but didn't work for me.

if they were howling at you and they were far enough away you couldnt kill them i really dont think they saw you decoy or even knew there was a decoy. unless you decoy was big as a horse and moving around..

Don't remember what it was called....kinda looked like a lame rabbit, and the movement was repetitious, kinda hokey. ...'mart special, the only thing I could find on short notice.

I will try a better one this winter. (I don't hunt until fur is prime.)

All I know is I got howled at when I used the decoy, and I didn't before, or after.

I killed one coyote with it, that came out and stopped at about 200 yds. It didn't howl, but definitely "hung up".

“If the coyote’s in your living room pissing on your couch, it’s not the coyote’s fault. It’s your fault for not shooting him.”

Ted Nugent

A lot of times, less=more when calling. Also, based on your diagram, the coyotes were on the other side of the road from your location. Next time you are out there, maybe try to get on their side of the road. That road may be their boundary.

Back