Hand calling

tugboater

Let me start by saying I’ve never had much confidence in hand calling. I’m strictly a Foxpro guy. The property’s I get to hunt are huge, and I beat them up pretty hard all year. So it got me thinking that these guys are getting pretty wise to my calling. So… thinking outside the box I've been hand calling last week and this week. I’m starting to build up some confidence! Big shout out to Kerry Carver for the sweet Howlers! They’re nice on the eyes too! Got a female today, with my one two combo.
IMG_6821.jpeg
IMG_6822.jpeg

Nice looking rifle. I like to change things up and use hand calls from time to time as well. I will even go to a mouth reed occasionally.

Nice looking rifle. I like to change things up and use hand calls from time to time as well. I will even go to a mouth reed occasionally.
Yes it is, like the pistol grip angle on that stock for a calling rifle. What is it?

Got a couple of new custom calls that are just driving the neighbor's dogs nuts, not to mention the wife. Had hoped to get out during mating season to try them out but that didn't happen......another day.

Thank you.

Yes it is, like the pistol grip angle on that stock for a calling rifle. What is it?

Got a couple of new custom calls that are just driving the neighbor's dogs nuts, not to mention the wife. Had hoped to get out during mating season to try them out but that didn't happen......another day.
The stock is a Manners Carbon I believe the EH1. Rifle is chambered in 6.5 prc, I had a buddy build it for me on a Defience action. It’s not the lightest thing to carry for miles, but it’s a lot of fun to shoot.

Nice going.....

I have a couple EH-1's and I really like them.

They do get a little porky when you have the adjustable comb & the chassis system.

Mine are both plain jane carbon with aluminum pillars, one is 29 ozs, the other 32.

1709776858413.jpeg

Now days, most every coyote over 1 year old has heard FoxPros Lightning Jack.
Hell, I've heard it several times while calling myself. Lol.

A good hand call(s) will do just fine.

I love to hand call. Obviously, the main drawback is that they are looking at you when they are trying to find the sound. Any time I am hand calling I have the rifle at or near the shoulder to limit movement. At does make a great addition to the electronic call in certain circumstances.

I love to hand call. Obviously, the main drawback is that they are looking at you when they are trying to find the sound. Any time I am hand calling I have the rifle at or near the shoulder to limit movement. At does make a great addition to the electronic call in certain circumstances.
+1 I sit w/rifle on sticks pointed where I expect to see them first (usually down a pipeline or two track) for the entire stand. All I have to do is lower my head to get behind the scope, so minimum of movement required. Usually don't have much time to seal the deal.

I love handcalls for the far walks in and high pressured areas. Other times I use them in tandem with an e call howling back between myself and the call. They are a great addition to a callers bag of tricks.

All I do is far walks sometimes a few miles between stands. I wish I would have had more confidence in hand calls the last 15 years😂 I sure do now!

It’s pretty hard to beat a good Tally-Ho hand call. You’ll have to sort through a few to find a really good one, but when you get one there’s nothing that I’ve found that sounds any better. You have to pay your dues and learn to do all the calls with one but they are a great call when used correctly. I’ve used them for 40 years at least.

Last edited:
Back