H&R Handi Rifles - Accuracy?

I've owned a few, (pastence), sold because I didn't feel the accuracy was there. Always have liked the concept of a single shot so I tried the Encore. Didn't feel like the accuracy was there either. They were sold also. Today, I have come to realize, not all rifles are created equal. Some will shoot bug holes and some don't. For what they are and what you want to do with them, they should be fine.

H&R has lost market share since the new entry level bolt guns are around the same price as the Handis. Plus the CVA single shot centerfire rifles usually shoot really well and have nicer triggers at a lower price. My cousin bought his 14 year old daughter a new CVA Hunter in 7-08 for $179 at Academy. You can't get a used Handi for that.

They are all over the place and, IMO, not worth the time or money you can expend trying to get them to shoot. If the have the ejector system, don't go anywhere without a way to knock out a stuck case.

My exp with them includes two .223, two 30-30/12 GA combos and a .308. The 30-30s were fun and delivered ok at 50 to 100 yards but not any better than a typical '94 or 336. The .308 was suitable for deer or elk out to a max of 150 yards at best.

The .223s were the biggest disappointment. Four inch and larger groups at 100 yards on their best days.

I eventually got a Tikka T3 lite in .223 at a cost of approximately $500. Compared to the cost of a Handi and the wasted loading components, $500 is cheap.

As mentioned above, you can read a whole lot about them at the Greybeard site. They are huge fans of the Handi over there, but when you visit there ask yourself why the discussions are mostly about how to cure accuracy problems.

Get your kid a Quality bolt gun.

I had a couple in .223 and .22 Hornet. They are accurate. The problem in the field comes in with the trigger pull. It's pretty heavy, even by modern rifle standards. I took them to a gun smith and he said he wouldn't fool with it. He said it wouldn't e worth it for the return I would get on my money. I know nothing about gunsmithing so I don't know if that's accurate, but that's what he said.I think I had the New England Firearms version, but it's the same design.

Buddy has one in .204, ungodly accurate gun!

Brother-in-law has one in 45-70, swears by it.

I've got one in 45-70, it too is pretty consistent.

Bought mine because it is legal to use during Mississippi's primitive weapon season. And, because the wife's dad apparently loved 45-70s, and there were 11 boxes of shells in the Gun Safe when I cleaned it out.

Finicky. Very accurate when shot off a bench, if everything is consistent- action needs to be closed with consistent pressure, does not like the forearm laying on the front rest, but shoots excellent if the hinge is on the front rest instead, has a heavy trigger pull that requires a looong pull and follow thru. Do all that and it puts 3 shots under 1/2" easily at 100 yards. Kind of a pain to make sure to do all that every shot.

But it's difficult to shoot accurately in the field. If you shoot from shooting sticks you gotta lay the hinge of the rifle on the "V" of the sticks not the forearm like a normal rifle. Kind of a pain.

I never use it, just takes up room in my safe. I'd sell it but it's not worth much. I think next time there's a gun buy-back program I'll turn it in for $100 cause that's probably more than I can get for it anywhere else.

I had a stainless and plastic one in 223.
The trigger was actually nice (lots of dryfire) and precission ok!
BUT! POI shifted about 6" depending on were you rested the forearm
easy enogh to manage at the range but in a hunting situation it sucked..

Treded it for a prewar M70 in 220Swift

in my experience like any other brand accuracy can be hit or miss depending on the quality of the rifle, loads and shooters ability.

I've seen a few Handi's shoot pretty good. I've seen others that had the accuracy of a scattergun especially in the 243 cal. I've got a 45-70 synthetic stocked Handi that will shoot a 3 shot group less than 1" @100 yds with Federal factor loads.It's my muzleloader ;^)

I have recently read that they are out of production.

I have a .204 barrel that I have fitted with a receiver and the trigger is OK. 3/4 " at 100. Shoots 39 grains best with a less than max load.
It seldom gets shot as I have others I like.

I have one in 223 and it shoots minute of paper plate at 100 yards.I've tried every slug 60 grains or less and 7-8 different powders and the best it will shoot is like my 12 gauge at 100 yards.SPEND A LITTLE MORE AND GET A BETTER RIFLE. Nothing is worse than trying to learn to shoot or hunt with a crappy gun that is inaccurate.

Originally Posted By: Pack_WolfI have recently read that they are out of production.

I have a .204 barrel that I have fitted with a receiver and the trigger is OK. 3/4 " at 100. Shoots 39 grains best with a less than max load.
It seldom gets shot as I have others I like.

Still listed on the H&R website.

Originally Posted By: BearI have one in 223 and it shoots minute of paper plate at 100 yards.I've tried every slug 60 grains or less and 7-8 different powders and the best it will shoot is like my 12 gauge at 100 yards.SPEND A LITTLE MORE AND GET A BETTER RIFLE. Nothing is worse than trying to learn to shoot or hunt with a crappy gun that is inaccurate.
This has been my experience also, I think I still have a .308 barrel in my toolbox that I used to use for a jackhandle.

I have three in my safe right now,a couple of .223 and a .204
There all just as accurate as any rifle i own from what i can tell. I can ring steel plates with them out to 550 yards just like my bolt guns do. I did have a .243 that got some play in the lockup/ breech area and accuracy went away with it. There fine guns in my opinion but a little aggravating to operate when its time to chamber a new round and you lose your sight picture.

I have 1 in a .223 and 1 in a .243. .223 is deadly accurate and no problems. .243 is very accurate with everything but 95 grain Nosler ballistic tips. Keep a clean and dry chamber and an o-ring under the forearm on the lug. I'm happy with mine.

I have one in .223/45-70. Both barrels should pretty darn good. I had one in .243, that thing sucked like there was no tomorrow. Bad accuracy and really bad reliability. That caliber for some reason has a history of being problematic with the handi's.

Back