Gun Violence??????

pyscodog

First off, let me say, I'm not an advocate of gun violence, but I also know that a firearm is just a tool, the use, be it good or bad is in the person holding it, no different that a hammer or a skill saw or a shovel.
In the summer of 1974, a female friend of mine from high school and 5 of her friends were shot but a gunman. (I don't know the full details and didn't even know this happened until a year ago.) She was the only survivor. Now she is pushing gun control and background checks and longer waiting periods. Nothing I say seems to make any sense to her. I get so tired of the firearm being the blame when its the shooter thats to blame and not the firearm. I know I'm preaching to the choir, but is there any way to get through to these people that the weapon could have very well been a car or truck or a club? Sorry for bringing this here but you folks are the only people I can talk to that might understand. Of course the politician getting shot didn't help and being mental only fueled their fire. Why was a mentally impaired person able to buy a gun? Seems they just don't understand its never the firearms fault what the owner does with it. If he choked them with a chicken bone, do we ban the eating of chicken? Sorry for the rant folks, just needed to rant a little and I can do it here among fellow gun owners.

Thanks Bill

Ask her to explain the rational.

How would her requests stop or prevent this from happening? How would her laws or idea's have stopped the Rep shooting? IL requires a card to buy a gun and does background checks on top of that.
Virgina is no slouch on gun laws either.

How did the laws do at stopping someone that wants to break the law from from killing?

The key is to ask rational questions and keep them on topic but let them dig their own hole and don't say anything. You cannot debate them into seeing the stupidity, they have to do it themselves. Its a tough trek.

This guy was a loon but not crazy. that would require in hospital stays to put him on the list to prevent. But then even the Obama admin didn't prosecute those that bought guns that shouldn't. Prosecutions were at less than 1%, so what's the point of more laws if they don't follow the ones we have? Why don't they prosecute? That is racist.. yep, it would affect minorities disproportionately.

In the end ask them. How long is 3 minutes. get a pool noodle. (this is what convinced my wife to see the light) I started hitting her legs with it for 3 minutes.. I had my kid stand behind her and wave when it was 3 min. That is a long time.
Now.. I told her if someone broke into the house with a knife would take the police that long. imagine if that was a real knife.
Then i gave her water gun and said i will pretend it's acid. OK, lets do 3 minutes again.. Light went off. I now don't hear a peep about the guns i have and the ones that i keep our room.
These laws only affect lawful citizens, people that don't care about the law don't have much to loose. Why would they follow laws?

That's always been my thought to. The laws only effect the honest. Crooks don't give a flip about the law. Ever see an honest thief?

Last edited:
A good start would be to quit calling it "gun violence" because it isn't. As you said, the gun is just a tool the same as automobiles, knives, hammers, baseball bats, golf clubs, poisons, and even airplanes. It's people violence - period. Fix the political nut jobs, psychopaths, religious fanatics, greedy, jealousy, money whores, dopers, certain cultures, ect. and the problem goes away. It's a societal issue, not a tool issue.

The entire "Gun Violence" moniker is fake, just like those who created it. They lump in suicides, self-defense shootings, police shootings, criminal on criminal shootings, accidental shootings, etc.

When you boil down the numbers, remove suicides/self-defense/ criminal on criminal shootings/police and accidental shootings, there is NO "EPIDEMIC".

Lastly, remove the top ten urban areas that have a high crime rate, but harsh gun laws, and you realize that the use of guns to commit crimes in the rest of the nation is actually very low.

Eric
cool.gif

It's horrible what happened to your friend. There is evil in this world and evil people will use whatever is at their disposal to do evil. It sucks that guns have to get a bad rap because of it. If only the antis knew about all the positive things that come from responsible gun owners. The good memories, relationships, the connection with nature and even these forums and many others like it.

What's even worse is as technology continues to advance, the younger generations are not growing up around sportsmen. The relationships that I had and many others have had with their fathers, grandfathers and uncles and friends aren't there like they used to be. I'm sure it's still that way in a lot of rural towns but the cities are plagued with this more progressive mentality. It's really sad if you think about it.

"Gun Violence" .. Ha ! when is the last time anyone saw 2 or more guns fight ? !! Heck I've never seen even one gun get in a fight.

Can't fix the stupid......

Originally Posted By: Bad Dawg If only the antis knew about all the positive things that come from responsible gun owners. The good memories, relationships, the connection with nature and even these forums and many others like it.

They know and don't care. Don't kid yourself.

I have to ask, is this person someone that you have no choice but to interact and converse with???? If the answer is no then I suggest you bid this communist liberal democrat farewell and very nicely request that she stay just as stupid as she is right now. There is no getting thru to these kind of people.....there is no reasoning with them, they seriously lack the ability. If they were reasonable then they would not be democrats in the first place.

I wish it was that easy but I've know her and her family for at least 40 years. I just refuse to argue the point with her. She had something bad happen to her and there's no changing her mind. Another apples and oranges situation.....my ex wife hated motorcycles and at the time I was racing dirt bikes. So there was constant conflict. Her reason was her sister and her boyfriend were on a bike, stopped on the shoulder to smoke a cigarette and was hit by a car, killing the boyfriend. The motorcycle got the blame. This is just an example of the way some people think. What do you do??

Originally Posted By: GCA good start would be to quit calling it "gun violence" because it isn't. As you said, the gun is just a tool the same as automobiles, knives, hammers, baseball bats, golf clubs, poisons, and even airplanes. It's people violence - period. Fix the political nut jobs, psychopaths, religious fanatics, greedy, jealousy, money whores, dopers, certain cultures, ect. and the problem goes away. It's a societal issue, not a tool issue.

There it is. The MSM likes to label things in a racey way. How about the "assault rifle" label? The last time I checked assault was an action, a verb. So ANYTHING used is an "assault blank."

I understand, spotting lunatics is hard. Many look normal until they snap. But many demonstrate their loss of reality and we have seen many times that family, friends, coworkers even the police and FBI were aware of the abnormal behavior of these individuals and did nothing about it. So it might be that they are taking the easy way out in trying to target the tool. They seem to disregard that the recent terrorists in London used a van, knives and explosives to commit their crimes.

The last time I checked it was against the law to murder someone. These most recent attacks prove that laws do NOT protect us. The police will do what they can when they arrive but until then it is up to us to take care of ourselves and each other, something that the anti-gunners want to deprive us of. They like to sit back, comfy behind their walls and fences and security details and tell us that we don't need the ability to protect ourselves.

Until they come up with a Navy Seal Team that will fit into my pocket that is dedicated to my protection then I will plan on carrying a gun.

Criminally assault isn't an action, it's a threat of action. Assault and battery are 2 separate things. If I say I'm going to kick your [beeep], it's assault. Once I touch you, you add battery.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI do believe you nailed it GC!!

GC's not as dumb as I look.

PS......it's only "gun" violence when someone on the left commits a crime with a firearm......IOW blame the gun.....
It's attempted murder if it's someone on the right.....IOW blame the person....

Originally Posted By: NdIndyCriminally assault isn't an action, it's a threat of action. Assault and battery are 2 separate things. If I say I'm going to kick your [beeep], it's assault. Once I touch you, you add battery.

I guess the state of Arizona disagrees:

ARS 13-1203

13-1203. Assault; classification

A. A person commits assault by:

1. Intentionally, knowingly or recklessly causing any physical injury to another person; or

2. Intentionally placing another person in reasonable apprehension of imminent physical injury; or

3. Knowingly touching another person with the intent to injure, insult or provoke such person.

B. Assault committed intentionally or knowingly pursuant to subsection A, paragraph 1 is a class 1 misdemeanor. Assault committed recklessly pursuant to subsection A, paragraph 1 or assault pursuant to subsection A, paragraph 2 is a class 2 misdemeanor. Assault committed pursuant to subsection A, paragraph 3 is a class 3 misdemeanor.

psycodog,,,,Quote: is there any way to get through to these people that the weapon could have very well been a car or truck or a club?...Unfortunately there has been so much misuse of the term Assault on behalf of the various media outlets that the ignorant portion of the masses that subscribe to the drivel has had the concept impregnated into their psyche...Very similar to seeing the lead photo to a newscast showing an AR15 when the actual weapon used was a .22lr repeating rifle,,,Not to mention the actual difference between the brands and styles that exist...

When a miscreant uses a firearm of any type to commit a crime, the whole event gets sensationalized and repeated continually until actual facts are established and by then the damage has been done, regardless of the truth..The ignorant ones are, by then tired, due to repetition,,,

Tell a lie often enough and eventually it becomes accepted as truth...

The question that keeps me perplexed is: How do you win a fight with any person that buys their ink by the barrel??

In August 2016 my 32 year old son was a victim of a home break-in in an upscale neighborhood of Atlanta. He had worked all night and got home around noon. He had just laid down to sleep when he heard a loud noise. . My son retrieved his pistol from the nightstand and held it toward the bedroom door. A person stepped into his room, saw my son on the bed and immediately pulled the trigger. My son didn't have time to identify the target because he has lots of friends that drop by anytime. The guy fired 1 shot hitting my son in the right hand, right forearm and upper right chest. The bullet exited his upper back. My son did fire his pistol but I think was a reflex action. His shot hit right above the door.

The guy then robbed the house of all mobile electronics, his pistol and left my son on the bed for dead. Luckily my son had a strong will to survive and crawled to the road where a motorist stopped and called police.

He was so lucky that he was transported to Grady Trauma Center in Atlanta where he received care from some of the best doctors in the world. GOD also had his hand on him that day. He was in ICU for a week and a half then released after a couple more days. He still has some surgeries that needs to be done. Nerves were damaged in his hand and forearm. Part of his collar bone was blown out by the bullet and will have to be repaired.

They finally caught the bad guy after a few weeks. He was tied to six other armed robberies in 3 different counties surrounding Atlanta. So far he is still in jail and hasn't gone to trial.

The guy is 21 years old and lived with his mama. He also used an AK-47 style rifle to shoot my son.

Do I blame the gun because my son was almost killed? NO I DO NOT!! The gun was just the tool. The guy's violent acts were all his decisions and I hope he gets more than what's coming to him.

I wish that my son had done things differently but we can only learn from the experience and stay prepared for anything, anytime, anywhere.

Houser, sorry to hear of that. Had to be a scary time for your family, really glad your son survived.

Back