gun skins?

I put a mossy oak vinyl skin on a rifle recently. It comes as a kit with precut pieces for barrel, stock, and forearm. It was pretty easy to apply, you will need a hair dryer to heat the vinyl so it stretches around the angles and rounded parts. Don't use a heat gun like they recommend as it's too hot and easily melts the vinyl. Hair dryer is perfect temperature. You can also pull it up and reapply it until you get all the wrinkles smoothed out. If you are a type A perfectionist you probably will want to send your rifle off for expensive ceracoating but if you want to DIY and don't want a permanent paint job (you can easily remove the skin) this $25 option works for me just fine and looks great.

This was my first attempt at doing one of these. The end of the forearm was the most difficult. Could have been the fact that it took almost 3 hours and by that time I was ready to be done! The scope curves were difficult also. Overall pretty good and you have to look close to see the few imperfections. I didn't put the receiver camo piece on but the kit includes one. Scope kit is extra but only like $5.
image_zps728b3168.jpg
image_zpse76ac4d4.jpg

image_zps0df99931.jpg

image_zpsde42c8b1.jpg

great. how durable is it? my guns get slapped and drug across branches and scuffed on rocks and everything else. im very hard on equipment

More durable than a rattle can job. It would be possible to nick the vinyl if you were, say, crawling through a quarry on your belly pushing your rifle in front of you but it would take a very hard sharp limb to phase it one bit IMO. My biggest reason for the skin vs paint is you can TAKE IT OFF if you want! Try removing paint from a nice expensive rifle and scope. Not fun.

I've been trying to promote these on here to anyone asking about snow camo tape. I did my savage model 12 FCV about two years ago in the brush camo and it turned out great. Protects the gun, looks sharp and pretty cheap. Ive got a few spots on the barrel that have been scraped off from hitting the barrel on the truck door or catching it on something else but you cant tell unless you are up close looking. I highly recommende this product as well yours turned out great and I was debating on the snow camo one also.

It depends on your expectation of durable. It's vinyl so it will tear if presented with a sharp edge. So too will paint chip, so will Duracoat, and so can Cerakote. Nothing short of diamond coating it will prevent your firearm or its finish from marring or wearing.

I rattle canned my 7mm and it looked great but easily scratched. I then decided to remove the paint from the barrel which turned out to be one of the biggest headaches. I left the stock with the paint on it and it looks decent but still has scratches. If you want it painted and to be "tough" then your gonna pay decent money to have it Cerakoted. The going rate around here for that is like 150 a color for a gun. Good luck on your choice but my 2 cents say buy a mossyoak graphics kit, Kryptek even makes them now they are about double the money so you would be about $60 bucks into wrapping your gun but would look awesome. Just google Kryptek gun wraps and youll find them.

well i want kryptek. i have access to one of them vinyl sticker machines and could make my own stencils to paint it. but i seen where you can get the wrap in kryptek but like you said is about 60 bucks so thats why i was wondering if it was that much stronger then paint to justify that price. for a while now i have been interested in the "my dip kit" although i dont think they have any film in kryptek but for around $100 i think you get enough product to do several guns

theshedhunter

Nice job on the wrap, love the way you lined the pattern on the barrel to the fore-end. When you wrapped the barrel did it still fit back into the channel on the stock the same as it came out or were adjustments necessary. Also where did you find the kit for $25.00?

Thanks dft88. The stock on that particular rifle has a lot of clearance to float the barrel. It did not need any altering. I was looking at one of my older rem 700s with a wood stock and if I had wrapped that one I would have had to get out the sandpaper and dowel. So I guess it depends on the particular clearance you are starting with. The rifle shoots great before and after the skin on the barrel, it did not affect accuracy in my case. I bought it from mossy oak website I guess it was $30 not $25.

Back