group issues with my 223

Canuck Clay

My Howa axiom is not grouping at all!! I'm not sure if it's the ammo or the scope, I'm using 53 gr Hornady superformance. And a scorpion 6-24x50. But at 100 yards I'm scattering terribly
IMG_20140906_140523_hdr.jpg

Last edited:
I would check the scope mounts first, or possibly try a scope that you know works... had a base come loose on my 22-250 and it scattered like that.

Originally Posted By: Canuck ClayMy Howa axiom is not grouping at all!! I'm not sure if it's the ammo or the scope, I'm using 53 gr Hornady superformance. And a scorpion 6-24x50. But at 100 yards I'm scattering terribly

Hmmmm. Between the rifle, the ammo, and the scope, the scope would be my number 1 suspect. Check base and rings, but unless you find something that was really loose, I wouldn't bother putting that scope back on. Replace it with something else you know works and try again.

Grouse

Either you can't shoot, or your scope is trash. I'd toss the scope and get a name brand. Nikon, Bushnell, etc.

Check your scope mounts and scope. Buy cheap and get cheap results. If you have crappy cheap scoup mounts I would upgrade those first. Then if it is no better get a good scope. Vortex or nikon if youre trying to keep it at a reasonable price. Also check your barrel twist. If its a slow twist I would drop the grain of bullet to a 40-45.

Don't listen to everyone else's malarkey about it being something to do with the optics. Obviously it is the rifle itself. However heartbreaking this must be to read, I am afraid that it is so.

But cheer up! Not all is lost! Being the kind soul that I am I will take that gun off your hands and give you a nice crisp $100 bill to boot! And you can even keep that fine scope that you got on it now.

So send me a PM and we will make arrangements on the transaction.

Good thing that I am in a kind mood today, huh?

I've had trouble with this brand of scope before... they claim a sting free warranty but I've gone through 3 scopes going on 4 ( came out of the box with a dent in the bell) on my 4-16x56 which is their top of the line at 599$

My buddy has a howa that won't group until he gets 100- 200 rounds down the barrel. It will then shoot well for a while but if he cleans it he has to shoot another 100 rounds to foul it to get it to group. His is a 12 twist and he is using 50 gr vmax. The 53's would be borderline with a 12 twist.

Originally Posted By: why His is a 12 twist and he is using 50 gr vmax. The 53's would be borderline with a 12 twist.

Not marginal in a 12" twist. The 53 V-Max is rated for a 12" twist at 223 velocities.

They will fly fine 90% of the time in a 14" at 22-250 and .220 Swift max velocities.

Quote:His is a 12 twist and he is using 50 gr vmax. The 53's would be borderline with a 12 twist....I've had a .223 in a 1/14 twist before and it maxed out at 55gr,,,My current 1/12 twist will handle up to 60gr very efficiently, so I don't know on what you are basing your comment...

Canuck Clay,,Most of the time when a 'group' such as in shown in your post shows up it begs the question about how much 'trigger time' (and of what quality) you might have under your belt and if substantial, then an optic seems to be the first culprit...Most Howas have a decent reputation for accuracy, but I suppose you could have an anomaly and it could be a faulty rifle, unless you have had normally good results in the past with it..

As others have indicated, try a known quality optic before blaming the rifle,,,You indicate that this is the fourth one of this current brand, that should be an indication as to quality...For $600 you can obtain a really good Leupold, Sightron, or Vortex...All have a "No Bull" warranty should you have a problem, but most of them are tanks in themselves...

Cat, I got my infor. on the 53's from Hornady. I tried them anyway in my Cooper (14 twist) it was a no go. I can shoot the 55 vmax just fine as it is a shorter bullet than the 53 vmax. I was passing on infor. from the maker of the bullets. The 53's are doing fine in a 9 twist that I put together.

Good advice here from Old Turtle, especially the part about not messing with cheap scopes.

I don't know anything about scorpion scopes, but a quick google search would lead me to believe they are most likely Chinese made junk.

How much ammo and time have you wasted messing with them so far?

You can get a nice Leupold, Nikon or Vortex for $3-600, that will perform and be worth owning for years to come.

With a quality optic, you shouldn't need anywhere near 24X either.

I've been shooting since I was 12.. my optic is my first thought but since I don't have a spare scope I'm going to have to wait a couple days to get a good 1

Originally Posted By: Canuck ClayI've had trouble with this brand of scope before... they claim a sting free warranty but I've gone through 3 scopes going on 4 ( came out of the box with a dent in the bell) on my 4-16x56 which is their top of the line at 599$

They lied to you, You were stung when you made the purchase in the first place. I would say it was equivalent to lighting you hard earned cash on fire.. Don't ever skimp on optics or ammo and expect anything other than what you are experiencing now.. This is a hard lesson learned, you will have a good shooter once you upgrade that optic.. Good luck

I tried the 53 V-max Superformance in my 1:12 CZ American and it patterned them terribly. I went back to the 55 vmax and had acceptable groups. Ive read/heard that the 53 Superformance needs a faster twist for some reason. I shot them in my 1:7 AR and they shot great.
Try some different ammo

Back