Grim reaper 2" 3 blade 100g broadhead deflection...pics of recovered 12pt

Dultimatpredator

I shot and recovered a 12 pointer yesterday morning that I shot quartering away at 20 yards. The broadhead deflected across the ribs and came to rest under the bucks armpit and then fell out. The deer went over five hundred yards total before I found him. He walked into a creek and went a good hundred and fifty yards down it and then cut up into a field in chest high brush before expiring. I shot a coyote last week with this broadhead and one other buck last year with the grim reaper...and it will be my last. A cut on contact would have zipped right through the animal. When I cleaned the buck I found that the cut across the ribs from the defection was what killed him. One of the blades sliced through 5 ribs and caught a lung. Where the broad head came to rest under the front shoulder was torn up severely but never penetrated through the rib cage. The buck I shot last year was perfectly broadside at about 7 yards. I didn't get a pass though and the deer made it 30 yards before dropping. This is only the 2nd deer I have shot with this broadhead and it will be the last. I use to shoot Rocky Mountain Gators until they changed to the wimpy cut on contact tip that bent and broke off. Rage has the same crappy tip. I guess I will try either Rages chisel tip or a Swacker next year.

10626910945_5e55778836_b.jpg
10626948794_dc602e6562_b.jpg
10626949706_1c92f82917_b.jpg
10627188463_c47aa9394b_b.jpg

Last edited:
What are the specs of your bow? Takes a lot of energy for a 2" 3 blade expandable. Looks to me like he was quartering away pretty hard if you hit that far back to get it into the vitals. Way to keep after and recover him.

Nice buck! I'd recommend also trying the Wac'Ems or RamCats. Just beware that the Ram Cats may not fit in your quiver!

Think I'm going to try the Rage hypodermics next season. I like the idea of the steel ferrel and cut on contact tip. I have had good results with rear deployment blades with no defections out of the Rocky Mountain gator 100's until they changed from a chisel tip to a cut on contact. The cut on contact has rolled over and or broke off for me several times. NAP's chisel tip design looks similar to the original gators but don't seem to test out great compared to others.

Last edited:
Don't hesitate to give the Magnus Stinger Buzzcut broadheads a try. I have been extremely impressed with the performance of these broadheads and they have a lifetime warranty. Just send a broken one back and they take care of it immediately.

-BANDIT

Good looking buck!...ok I will give my 2 cents on deflection....3 major components to the causes 1) broadhead cutting diameter..as everyone wants one that puts the biggest wound channel possible, most times this is the wrong way of thinking....do this, sit at a table, arrow in hand,put the point of broadhead straight down, arrow up.....now angle the arrow in any direction, till the blade stops it.....then imagine arrow on impact,it will lay in a simular fashion, then take the path of least resistance.

2)Proper arrow density,tip weight ,per poundage of bow .

(Have someone film you shooting a target with your setup)

3) Angles....angle of shot x angle of deer x angle of ground x angle of you.(this is why I always laugh when folks are 30 plus feet up a tree,,, they are handicapping themselves before they start)........hope this helps you out.

X

I'm not a fan of mechanicals. My experience has shown me that the fixed blades are more consistent in their performance on deer. I shoot Slick Trick standard 4 blade with excellent results (this was the most accurate head that I tested -Muzzy, Mangus, and slick trick). I really like the 4 blade with the 1 inch cut. It slips between bones better than a bigger head and I have yet to shoot a deer without a complete pass thru. The last deer I shot was 40 yds with a complete pass thru on both shoulders.

I would not hesitate to shoot any of the above or the NAP thunderheads, whichever one was the most accurate.

Coyotex gave good info above!

Oh, GREAT RECOVERY! Way to go. Nothing worse than sticking a deer and not recovering it.

Way to stick with it! Glad you didnt give up and that you found him! I have never been a fan of broad heads that open from the tip of the head for the reason shown here: they are unreliable for angled shots. I shot rage this season but I am thinking of switching to Swhackers or Ramcats next year. Anyone have any experience with either?

I have shot reapers for several seasons and have never had anything short of amazing results. My first deer the past through so quick the buck ran 2 feet and fell over. I have taken several deer since then the last one blew me away how well these heads work 45 yard shot quartering away the arrow past through the offside scapula and still went up the hill another 40 yards past the deer the head was in perfect shape no dammage. I will continue using this head until something changes my results. Rage are garbadge they will never be screwed onto another arrow of mine I had a small buck hit at 25 yards shooting my usual 70 pound bow with full metal jacket arrows the arrow hit the deer so hard it took it off its feet it got up and ran off with my arrow no penetration what so ever no blood no deer. From the looks of how that arrow skidded down that deer it seems like a really hard angle to try putting an arrow in the deer in the first place, maybe some better shot selection, ive shot them with reapers at angles and never had one stray like that so Im a bit sceptical of shot placement.

Which head were you using. I used to be a rage fan and switched to Reapers this year. I know I wont use anything else. Very impressed with the 2" whitetail specials razortips.

Originally Posted By: Luv2killWhich head were you using. I used to be a rage fan and switched to Reapers this year. I know I wont use anything else. Very impressed with the 2" whitetail specials razortips.

Those were the pieces of crap I was using you want to buy a half dozen or so PM me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: VarmintSniper30To not get a pass through at 7 yards he has [beeep] be shooting 20 pound draw wow.

175 lb crossbow at a 45 degree angle. I've shot several deer out of the same stand In that same spot " shooting window" over the years with other broad heads with complete pass throughs. You guys are gonna learn the hard way. All it takes is that one time...and I hope it's not that buck of a lifetime for your sake. That broad head has way too big of a cutting surface for passthroughs and the blades need to open from the rear to minimize defection. I use to use Rocky Mountain gator 100s for years until they discontinued their trocar tip version. I had tons of complete pass thoughts in the same spot where that buck stood.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveB22250I have shot reapers for several seasons and have never had anything short of amazing results. My first deer the past through so quick the buck ran 2 feet and fell over. I have taken several deer since then the last one blew me away how well these heads work 45 yard shot quartering away the arrow past through the offside scapula and still went up the hill another 40 yards past the deer the head was in perfect shape no dammage. I will continue using this head until something changes my results. Rage are garbadge they will never be screwed onto another arrow of mine I had a small buck hit at 25 yards shooting my usual 70 pound bow with full metal jacket arrows the arrow hit the deer so hard it took it off its feet it got up and ran off with my arrow no penetration what so ever no blood no deer. From the looks of how that arrow skidded down that deer it seems like a really hard angle to try putting an arrow in the deer in the first place, maybe some better shot selection, ive shot them with reapers at angles and never had one stray like that so Im a bit sceptical of shot placement.

If I were you looking at the photo I would think the same...but that deer was perfectly quartering away from me at a 45 degree angle. I'm using Kevlar 20" bolts by the way. Maybe they are too light to provide enough connetic energy for a proper pass through?

Last edited:
I have had grim reapers catch a small vine and stop like they were snatched out of the air by a ghost. they do kill well when put where they need to be. I shot one with a spitfire and he looked like he was shot with a 30-06

Back