GPS recommendations

DesertRam

Director
Staff member
Okay fellas, I need your input.

I consider myself fairly adept at mapreading, but decided during my recent deer hunt that I want to upgrade to a handheld GPS unit that I can use to more accurately pinpoint my location. Ideally, the unit would be user-friendly, pretty rugged, PC-interfaceable, compatible with the excellent land ownership software/maps available from some of our fine sponsors, and cost me less than about 300 bucks. Consider that I’m not exactly the most technology savvy individual; I currently have and (mostly) understand a Garmin E-trex, but I have yet to get a fancy smart phone or other advanced electronics (I still prefer CDs to MP3 players).

What are your recommendations? Thanks!

If you're already comfortable with the size and operation of your E-trex, Garmin makes the E-Trex Vista HcX. It's right at the top end of your price range, but does the things you want. Full color, micro SD card compatible, and should operate almost exactly like the one you already have.

I had a Vista at work and am familiar with their idiosyncracies and I know it took a bit of getting used to. If you already have a feel for their menu structure and data input, consider just upgrading to a nicer version of what you already have.

Last year I bought a Garmin Oregon 450. I managed to find it for $306. The 450T comes with topo maps and is $100 more. But with the $100 you save, you can buy better topo maps (huntinggpsmaps.com is one). I also purchased birdseye imagery and downloaded free game unit boundaries. I used that thing like crazy during elk and deer season as well as coyote hunting. I now consider that piece of equipment as almost as important as my rifle. I found it to be pretty user friendly and syncs well with a computer. (This was the first time I took my laptop deer/elk hunting.)

I'll second the Etrx Vista HcX
I have had mine for a couple of years doing a lot of geocaching and started using it this year for marking stands, hot spots, scrapes etc.
I am able to walk right up to my tree stand in the dark with no effort, and with the back tracking option I always no my path but how to get back to the truck.
You can add topo maps with the use of a micro SD card.

Good luck on your search!

Originally Posted By: HidenseekproIf you're already comfortable with the size and operation of your E-trex, Garmin makes the E-Trex Vista HcX. It's right at the top end of your price range, but does the things you want. Full color, micro SD card compatible, and should operate almost exactly like the one you already have.

If you already have a feel for their menu structure and data input, consider just upgrading to a nicer version of what you already have.

Cory gave you some good advice. The only thing I would add is take a look at the difference between the Vista and the Legend. The Vista only has a few more options on it. If they are not of interest to you, you could save a few bucks and go with the legend. I have both and like them both. Make sure you get the HCX though. That high sensitive receiver makes a difference.

Cabelas has the legend on sale with the Garmin Topo 2008 and case right now for $190. The software alone is almost $100.
Legend here

Many sites and locations are discounting the eTrex HCX series GPS unit because the new eTREX 10, 20, and 30 replaces the Legend and Vista. eTrex are nice GPS units and their main plus is also their main minus. The size of unit including the screen is very small. This is great if you want a very small GPS making it easier to carry but also makes the screen smaller and more difficult to read. If you can find a 60CSx for a cheap price, it is a better option in my opinion but they are getting harder to find. The 60CSx is replaced by the 62S, just as the eTrex HCx are being replaced by the new eTrex series.

My order of Garmin handheld preference would be:
Oregon 450
62S
60CSx
eTREX Vista

This also typically goes in order of price as well (except the 62S may be higher than the Oregon), so good luck. Of all of these, I find the Oregon the easiest of all of them run as it is a touch screen interface.

The Oregon is the only one that has a big difference in screen size. The Oregon is a touch screen, not sure I like that for outdoor use. For walking I prefer the Etrex. I have the Rino 520 HCX also but it is harder to carry on your side or in a pocket. It is about the same size as the 60 and 62. They are all nice units but look at the good and bad points of each based upon how you are going to use it.

Etrex Legend- 1.3" x 1.7"
Etrex 20- 1.4" x 1.7"
GPS 60- 1.5" x 2.2"
GPS 62- 1.43" x 2.15"
Oregon 450- 1.5" x 2.5"

I have a Garmin 62S and it should fit your needs well. Very user friendly. I downloaded the hunting gps map and its awesome. I dont know how it stacks up to the other mentioned but I know its WAY better than my Rino 120 I was using before.

The ability to load you own custom made maps is what sold me on this unit. Especilaly since nobody has a really good mapset for Iowa.

I got mine on ebay used for 240.00. I highly recommend it.

I have the Garmin 300 colorado unit & am super happy with it, fast connection also.
SD cards with WY topos is super, you can get free landuse downloads also off the GPSfile site.
My other field use GPS is a Garmin 295 nuvi that almost as nice & portable unlike some other auto units.

Hmm, Mr. Kirsch's reference to the new eTrex models piqued my interest, so I gave them a look. Intriguing. It looks like they'll be available in a few weeks. Anybody have any thoughts on them (I'm thinking eTrex20)? Like Reb, I wonder about the overall long-term durability of the touch screen. Plus, the price of the eTrex20 is very decent.

I will 2nd the Oregon 450T with the touch screen. I have had mine for 3 years now I think and it has been to the Colorado mountains 3 times riding 500+ miles each time on the ATV. The touch screen is still in great shape with no scratches. Main reason I went with the Oregon was this unit replaced a Magellan XL that had a screen that was a little over 2 X the size of the Vista I had and the Oregon is just a little bit smaller than it was.

The touch screen is very easy to navigate thru while riding on the ATV, and a LOT easier while walking.

The GPS is always on in the cradle on the windshield of the pickup, unless it is with me while out coyote hunting or with me on the ATV. The Oregon unit has a 3D feature that makes it pretty neat to see what the area a 1/2 mile from the road will be like, before walking in.

DesertRam,

The price of the eTREX series is very appealing. I am going to compare them to the prior eTREX first. The eTREX 20 replaces the Legend and the ETREX 30 replaces the Vista. The biggest different in these two units is the 30 and Vista has the electronic compass and the 20 and Legend do not.

Pros: New units are 5 oz lighter, slightly smaller profile .2", and .1" bigger screen size. Not a lot bigger screen but a little bigger. They have 1.7GB of internal memory (compared to none), support birdseye imagery, and allow for 4 times more routes, and twice as many waypoints as the previous versions. One subtle difference that I like is they put the joystick on the right versus left so your hand isn't covering the screen while using the joystick if you are right handed.

Cons: It feels cheap compared to the old units. I believe this is due to replacing the rubber on the unit with plastic and it being 5 oz lighter.

Overall, the eTREX is a good unit at an affordable price and the newer models have a lot of advantages over the earlier eTREX models. I still prefer the bigger screen on the Oregon and the easier to use touch screen interface. The 60CSX and 62S are also great GPS units. However, the ETREX is a nice GPS for a good price.

Thanks! So, in a nutshell if money's not a big concern, get the Oregon, right? Would you get the "t" version with topo maps are get them from another source? If money is a top priority, get the eTrex20 and be happy enough, right? My biggest use will be to pinpoint my location relative to public vs. private land.

Originally Posted By: DesertRamThanks! So, in a nutshell if money's not a big concern, get the Oregon, right? Would you get the "t" version with topo maps are get them from another source? If money is a top priority, get the eTrex20 and be happy enough, right? My biggest use will be to pinpoint my location relative to public vs. private land.

Topo really depends. The version that comes on the "T" version is 100K topo for the entire US. It is part of the basemap, so if you buy a custom map from any of the fine mapping sponsors on this site (even if the map is transparent) where any solid colored object such as public land exists, it will cover up the base map topo lines. The lines can be seen again by removing the map or turning it off in Map Information. Typically, the amount for a "T" version handheld runs $100 more than the same GPS without topo. If you are buying a public vs private land map, then I would check with the map maker as they most likely have a 24K topo version that will work with their map. On the version that comes with the TRAX maps, the topo layer can be turned off and on which is even a better feature as sometimes topo lines can hinder seeing other important information on the screen. I personally believe there are a lot better topo options from Garmin and from other map manufacturers than getting Topo preloaded on the unit, but that is my perspective.

And yes, I believe you summed up the way I would rate the Garmins you listed.

the houch screen is a great way to go,you just need to get a zagg clear cover put on it i put them on phones and they work so well i put them on all the GPS.units.if the scratch they replace them free.

Thanks fellas. I think I've decided on the 450 (without maps). I've seen 'em for as low as $270, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Back