Got my butt handed to me by a coyote

Megalon

It is getting close to the end of my season. Couple of reasons, I don't hunt them when they are dropping pups and pretty soon it will be yard work (honey do list) and fishing time.However, after changing the oil in the truck, I went out today to an area that just gives me fits. Two prior times this year I went there and a really good sized coyote has got the best of me. First time, he came in from behind me and caught wind of me. Coyote 1 me 0. Next, he came in on Lil Rabbit and did what I call a fly by. He literally just ran out of the wash past the call in the time it took me to take the safety off. Coyote 2 me 0. These two times were early in the season. I let him sit for a month and a half. Today he came in to (according to the range finder 412 yards). i was running female challenge and female challenge bark. That dang coyote, sat on a hill and answered everything I gave. For an hour, I tried everything. It may have been a male because he got excited about submissive female. NEVER closed the distance however. I swear (this may be paranoia) it is the same coyote! I finally had to give up after two hours. I am patient but I had simply run out of ideas. This guy is killing me! The wind was in my face and I was dug in like a tick. Anyone else got a four legged devil in their life?

Oh and one more thing. This is for my hearing impaired hunters out there. Is it not a fact that your hearing aid batteries are ten times more likely to need replaced while you are hunting than when you're not?

Sounds like you had a great day. Far better then in a sweat shop somewhere thinking of being in the field. Congrats on a wonderful day doing what you like. Get em next time.

Oh and one more thing. This is for my hearing impaired hunters out there. Is it not a fact that your hearing aid batteries are ten times more likely to need replaced while you are hunting than when you're not?
Yes, or when you're driving.

By the way, here is a video of the area that is causing me problems this year. Took a day for me to get it from my phone to the computer. Behind me is a small dip in the hill where I set up in the high grass. The dip provides just enough space to keep my lower body off the horizon and only the rifle barrel and the hood of my ghili suit show. To the left are the hills where this guy seems to show up. He is on private land until he gets to within about 300 or less. I just think it is kinda funny because I have become obsessed with this guy and I am running out of time.

Attachments

• IMG_2260.MOV
    1.9 MB
That's why we call it hunting, not shooting. Sometimes it's fun to have a good adversary, keeps you sharp and thinking. I leave my hearing aids home when hunting, I love the quiet. I only wear them because my wife finally got REALLY tired of repeating herself.

Out In the Desert Wildlife Area in centrAl WA for a couple years we had one we called Speedy G, he'd come on a dead run through the sage, make a half turn around the caller still running and bail out 90 degrees to where he came from. We called him in for a couple years trying to figure a way to get a shot, never could. Finally he just didn't show, and we never called another coyote there.

I've had a few over the years that I had trouble with. The last one I remember was one that I scared up and called back and then he winded me. Every time he'd head straight downwind after that. My brother and I called it in one day and it hit our wind and it took off running. My brother shot it in the hip and blew its leg off. Never saw it again so I'd imagine it died. Don't know for sure though. I can't really think of any others at the moment. After a while they kind of just fade from your memory I guess. I've gotten to the point if one is giving me problems I just leave it alone and go kill easier ones.

Only remember one coyote that hung out in a fairly narrow strip of thick brush surrounding our hunting camp and the ranch hand's house. That sucker would bark at me every evening when I drove into the pole barn at camp right after dark. Tried several times a year over a couple of years to entice him to expose himself inside the camp area and around the outer perimeter, which was rather large and had some decent openings. Tried mimicking his challenges, distress, etc.; I think he just liked to hear himself talk! He never did respond and finally just never showed up one year. May have been the same one that diminished the ranch hand's chickens and exterminated his guineas??

AWS--I guess I am the opposite of you. I always wear 'em when hunting and only part time when not. Like to hear what is going on around me and when it is really silent in the night I find that exceptionally gratifying after working in a noise filled underground coal mine for over 40 years.

That's why we call it hunting, not shooting. Sometimes it's fun to have a good adversary, keeps you sharp and thinking. I leave my hearing aids home when hunting, I love the quiet. I only wear them because my wife finally got REALLY tired of repeating herself.

Out In the Desert Wildlife Area in centrAl WA for a couple years we had one we called Speedy G, he'd come on a dead run through the sage, make a half turn around the caller still running and bail out 90 degrees to where he came from. We called him in for a couple years trying to figure a way to get a shot, never could. Finally he just didn't show, and we never called another coyote there.
This is the answer I was looking for. These are the fun coyotes to hunt.

This is the answer I was looking for. These are the fun coyotes to hunt.

Also, this guy deserves a name.

Back