Got a boar the other evening

Yellowhammer

Staff member
Went to the lease Sunday evening to see if the hogs I been getting on my cell camera would show up.

I had not been in the stand 10 minutes when a pair of boats showed up, one red and one black. I had carrried my 300 win mag just because and I had pictures of real big boar I thought I might see. Anyway, picked out the black one. Shot was a little low and hopped around into the woods.

Climbed down and switched to the 300 BO with thermal I had brought along in case they didn’t show until after dark. Walked down and could see him still alive, but not moving. He absorbed a few BO rounds before he gave up the ghost.

IMG_3021.png

What bullet/weight were you shooting? It just didn't know it was dead. I've shot them with 165 gr cast 40sw, close (like 5 ft) and they still move a bit for a while.

200 grain eldx in the 300 WM that shot was low right behind the shoulder.

The 300 BO were 125 grain Sierra pro hunters. His head was behind a tree so this shots were hitting mid body. He was anchored so I was just wasting bullets. I think I hit 3 BO and missed one.

I have dropped a good many with the 125 pro hunters in gone past.

I've only ever killed one hog while hunting. Shot it with my 6.5x55 in the neck just behind the head and it flipped sideways and dropped right there. Broke the neck just behind the head. Wasn't that big a hog and I didn't want to risk loosing meat with a body shot. Son was on the same trip and took the same shot on a much larger hog with a 25-06 and 117gr Hornady inter lock. Same results! My guess is hogs can be hard to kill depending on where you shoot them.

Broke the neck just behind the head. Wasn't that big a hog and I didn't want to risk loosing meat with a body shot. Son was on the same trip and took the same shot on a much larger hog with a 25-06 and 117gr Hornady inter lock. Same results! My guess is hogs can be hard to kill depending on where you shoot them.
No, they're not all that tough, but w/55 gr my choice is between ear and eye; this one was a tad off as he ran past, but rolled him up.
1711641241937.jpeg

Went to the lease Sunday evening to see if the hogs I been getting on my cell camera would show up.

I had not been in the stand 10 minutes when a pair of boats showed up, one red and one black. I had carrried my 300 win mag just because and I had pictures of real big boar I thought I might see. Anyway, picked out the black one. Shot was a little low and hopped around into the woods.

Climbed down and switched to the 300 BO with thermal I had brought along in case they didn’t show until after dark. Walked down and could see him still alive, but not moving. He absorbed a few BO rounds before he gave up the ghost.

View attachment 6540

congrats, that 300 win ought to be a hog slayer :)

I've only ever killed one hog while hunting. Shot it with my 6.5x55 in the neck just behind the head and it flipped sideways and dropped right there. Broke the neck just behind the head. Wasn't that big a hog and I didn't want to risk loosing meat with a body shot. Son was on the same trip and took the same shot on a much larger hog with a 25-06 and 117gr Hornady inter lock. Same results! My guess is hogs can be hard to kill depending on where you shoot them.
I've only been hog hunting once and it was with my Swede 6.5x55 with 140 gr. Sierra Gamekings. I hit the hog way back in the shoulder and took out a lung, he didn't go far and I put a 2nd one in him right behind the shoulder and the angle was just right and hit the heart (lucky shot). Tough suckers they are, I think if I ever go again I'll try putting one under his ear.

You weigh them all or guessing? If those are 200# I’m shooting some sho’nuff big pigs. I see a head of one underneath that looks 200ish.

KQN7ZZX.jpg

Spurchaser I use a digital scale and weigh most of the pigs I kill, could be wrong on a couple of those pigs but that's what I remember. Murl B

I don’t have a scale, I just figure if I tie a rope to them and can’t drag them out or off I count them as 200, lol. If I can pull them I figure under 200. Only had one I couldn’t budge, and that was both with both hands and trying to walk backwards with all my weight into him.

Back