Got a boar the other evening

7MIXHue.jpg

Pigs and Coons we are covered up with both Murl B.

Jealous!! We had our “pig area” clear cut to eventually plant pines. It was so thick it’s the only part of the property I hadn’t walked through. I could stay on the outskirts and kill hogs every day. It was also a major coon area.
This is a private wild quail plantation so the less predators we have the better it is for quail. But the fewer predators makes it difficult for night hunting, lol.
I’m sure hogs will return eventually, but I walked 3 miles yesterday and 5 miles the day before and hadn’t cut a hog track yet. I am catching a few coons trapping in the drains and bottoms.
Keep knocking them down man, enjoying the pics!!

Spurchaser, We hunt a lot of Quail here also Pigs and Coons are big time predators on Quail and their nests, I trap Coons Every Day year around, kill Pigs every chance I get. usually get 2-3 Coons a Day with 10 dog proofs set near water.Murl B .

19zunN0.jpg

Now is the time to be catching coons and really making a difference. Caught a sow coon the other day and she had 4 embryos in her. Cut one open and had about 3” fetus in it. I figure another few weeks and they’ll be giving birth. Caught a possum with pinky possums already. We also trap 365 days a year.
My son runs cages and a few DP’s on his plantation where he works and was a tad under 1000 critters in one calendar year. His place is also trapped by professionals about 3 months out of the year as well. All my son uses in his cages is a single store bought egg. The only thing he hasn’t caught in a cage is a coyote. Everything else can’t resist a free egg. We do use eggs in a dirthole set during the summer months and catch coyotes in footholds. Think it’s just the size of the cage that keeps him from catching them in one.

I’m just hitting it on weekends now off the beaten path. Once the turkey limit is reached I’ll hit it all. Right now I’d be going in right at daylight and don’t want to disturb the turkeys routine.

Spurchaser,, I am covered up with Turkeys no one hunts them and they live in my back yard a crap all over my front and back porch, I hose the decks down almost every day.Murl B.

qVCAaIG.jpg

MY front yard.M.B.

So question for you hog killers, are they really good table fair??

I've heard both ways, mostly bigger bores are nasty and young piglets are excellent???

So question for you hog killers, are they really good table fair??

I've heard both ways, mostly bigger bores are nasty and young piglets are excellent???
Yes, wild hogs are good to eat. Around here once a boar gets around 150lbs they start fighting pretty good and can get cut up. They will have festering cuts, maggots, etc. so most people look at that and decide not to mess with them.

I've never really been able to tell any difference in the meat with a "eater sized" pig. The worst I've ever had was actually a sow. I don't know what it was about her, but her meat was rank. It even smelled bad whenever it was being grilled. All of that hog got cooked and fed to the dogs.

IMO a river hog will taste different than a hog that lived around a lot of ag. fields.

Yes, wild hogs are good to eat. Around here once a boar gets around 150lbs they start fighting pretty good and can get cut up. They will have festering cuts, maggots, etc. so most people look at that and decide not to mess with them.

I've never really been able to tell any difference in the meat with a "eater sized" pig. The worst I've ever had was actually a sow. I don't know what it was about her, but her meat was rank. It even smelled bad whenever it was being grilled. All of that hog got cooked and fed to the dogs.

IMO a river hog will taste different than a hog that lived around a lot of ag. fields.
This has been my experience too. I absolutely don't like the taste of hogs that live in pine thickets and eat a lot of pinecones.

Personally, I never hardly touch them, well, sometimes I do roll them over after the shot just to see point of impact. However, I killed one last fall right at the edge of a pasture and a man and woman were coming by and stopped when they saw I had a rifle and he asked what I was hunting. I said I just shot a hog and he asked how big and I told him maybe 80-90 lbs. He said where is it and I just pointed to where it lay. He said was it a boar or sow and when I said boar, he said no thanks and drove on. Lots of people here do harvest them for meat, especially the smaller ones.

I can’t even give them nasty things away. Some buzzards eat and some they won’t touch and we end up having to cover them with dirt if it’s close to quail season. I drag them off if near the bait site, if they make 50+ yards I let them lay. Dead rotting hogs make good hog bait, lol. Down here coyotes won’t touch them.

They are good to eat, especially the sows. I never mess with the boars unless really small. Summer sows here can be poor as a rail most times. No ag fields hear and plenty of pine trees. Can’t say I ever saw a hog eating pine cones, but can’t so they won’t. Most hogs around here find plenty of corn and acorns, at least in the second half of the year.

I usually make pan sausage out of mine. It can be used in chili, breakfast casseroles, burgers ro whatever. Our hogs can be pretty lean, so if you want to make smoke sausage it often needs fat added unless you get one late winter after they have been feeding on acorns.

The reason we have hogs is because people used to raise hogs for meat and let them run in the woods until time to get the dogs and go get one for the smoke house. They populated from there.

They will never be as good as a grain fed tame hog that spent his whole standing in one place with their head in a trough, but certainly worth eating.

Back