Good fur bullets for 6mm?

I've tried just about every bullet 75gr and lower from Nosler, Hornady, and Sierra. Without a single doubt in my mind the most effective, DRT, no exit or damfor damage, no splash, and shoots amazing is the 55gr Sierra Blitz king. I run them at just below 3800 fps out of my .243.

I find it comical when people reach for their .22-250 because it's more for friendly when they shoot a 55gr bullet at 3700fps...that's exactly what I'm doing with my .243.

70 grain Nosler ballistic tips at 3340 fps seems to be the magic combination in my 243 Win. Surprisingly fur friendly when you hit where you're supposed to.

Originally Posted By: Bowhunt70 grain Nosler ballistic tips at 3340 fps seems to be the magic combination in my 243 Win. Surprisingly fur friendly when you hit where you're supposed to.

That combo is a killer! I'm running them around 3450, and it thumps coyotes. But it can also leave big holes if you don't hit in the right spot.

Originally Posted By: kswaterfowlOriginally Posted By: Bowhunt70 grain Nosler ballistic tips at 3340 fps seems to be the magic combination in my 243 Win. Surprisingly fur friendly when you hit where you're supposed to.

That combo is a killer! But it can also leave big holes if you don't hit in the right spot.

For sure! Miss the sweet spot and things can get messy! I have never had an exit on frontal chest shots and their insides turn to soup. LOL. They usually don't even twitch.

I shoot a lot of fox as well as coyotes and a bullet that may not mess a coyote up will blow a fox all to [beeep]. Last year I switched over to Barnes and have been extremely satisfied. They exit of course, but it's never any bigger than a quarter even when bone is hit. They're more expensive than your typical bullets but if you want to save pelts and consistent performance is important to you then a few cents more per bullet is nothing.

Been running the 80gr TTSX in some 243's and I'm getting ready to load the new 95gr LRX for my Q "The Fix" in 6mm Creedmoor. I've got a 6.5mm Creedmoor barrel being made for it as well which I'll be running the 127gr LRX in.

If you're shooting a 243 or 6mm Creedmoor and want to test them out you can buy a box of their factory ammo to do so without having to work up a load. If you're loading 243 I've found 43gr of H4350 with them seated .040" off the lands to be an accuracy node in multiple rifles that also doesn't care what brass or primers are being used. Start lower and work up of course though.

Originally Posted By: colsonThank you all for the imput. I am going with the 58 grain v- max shoots good.

Be very careful of the velocity you run those at. They are stupid accurate out of my 243, but I had a lot of splashes, under 200 yards, on coyotes.

I’m a fan of 70 gr blitzkings. They can make a mess if you don’t make a great shot, but they don’t wiggle. If fur wasn’t an issue I’d run strictly 55 gr Nosler BT’s from my rig.

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGOriginally Posted By: SeebassCheck these out. They are absolutely devastating on coyotes!

https://www.cavitybackbullets.com/product-p/cb-mkz-6mm-.243-92.htm

Those are some pricey coyote bullets!

A tad, but at 92g they work wonders on virtually everything California has to offer. From coyotes and hogs to speed goats and Mule deer. Minus Tule elk or Big Horn sheep they are my do all California "copper compliant" bullet.

They shoot lights out accurate!

I'm also seeing for the first time a good FUR bullet... these are NOT coyote fur friendly. They are coyote DEAD friendly.

Last edited:
I loaded the 58 gr v-max in both my 243, and the 6mm running around 3300. Tomorrow if the snow is not bad plan on doing some calling, in hopes of trying them out.

Originally Posted By: colsonI loaded the 58 gr v-max in both my 243, and the 6mm running around 3300. Tomorrow if the snow is not bad plan on doing some calling, in hopes of trying them out.

That's pretty anemic compared to what you could be running them at. You should be golden! Let us know how they work out.

Below is a coyote I shot last Friday with 80 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip Varmint. Broadside at 300 yards, hit in the shoulder with muzzle velocity around 3450 fps. No exit hole and entrance hole was 6mm. I'm sure this combination will not be fur friendly if the coyote isn't hit in the right spot and only one coyote isn't enough to draw any conclusions.
E07-A9-EF2-0-EDB-4-F66-A683-29930-FACF512.jpg

I haven't found a bullet in the 243 that I can truly call fur friendly but have had decent results from a few. One thing I can say definitively is that the least fur friendly bullet I've found is the 70gr Nosler Varmeggedon. I put a new little 243 project together over the summer and figuring I wouldnt have much time for reloading until the dead of winter I stocked up on the Nosler/Dogtown ammo from Midway when it came out and then went on a big sale. The only way and I mean only way I have found to not blow a coyote to [beeep] with them is a perfectly square frontal chest shot. Other than that I have flat out destroyed everything I've shot with them. Not just big holes but rediculously gruesome horror movie type stuff. They are not running rediculously fast either chronographed right at 3248 average.

Last edited:
Got one with the 243, using 58 grain v-max over 40 grains of IMR 4895. Quartering to me at 112 yds. Hit the shoulder, small hole in, no exit. That was the first coyote with it so not sure if it was the angle, or if this is the load for me. Thank you all for the advice.

Congratulations, on the coyote. I was going to do a 2nd test the 80 gr ballistic tip varmit on a coyote yesterday morning but he came in "hot" and ended up getting the shotgun instead.

Back