Good all around caliber for deer elk and moose?

zr600

I'm considering a new barrel for my ruger m77 mkii that is currently a 270 win. What would be an all around good caliber for deer elk and moose. I don't go elk or moose hunting much but will go a few times this rifle would be more for deer but will get used on elk and moose sometime. If I could justify a rifle for the bigger animals i would just go with a 338. I don't want to blow the beep out of my deer.

I've used a .338 to take several deer and using either 225 grain Hornady inter-lokt or 225 grain Nosler Partitions I would say the .338 did far less damage then my buddy's 300 win mag using 165 grain bullts. I think he was using Sierra's but I'm not sure. Regardless, that fast moving 165 bullet made a mess of the deer he shot. It looked like the bullet just exploded. I guess what I'm saying is the .338, using controlled expansion bullets, will do far less damage then the smaller calibers using much faster moving bullets which can sometimes make a mess of deer shot with them, especially at close range. With a good fitting stock and a good recoil pad, shooting the .338 is very manageable too. Deer, elk, moose and even the big bears are all right in the .338's wheelhouse.

The largest chambering I have is one 300 WSM rifle. I don't plan on selling it, but I hardly ever use it. I would think something along those lines, or smaller, would be plenty. That may not work in your action, maybe a 30-06 would?

I like to think I can make up most of the slight differences in raw performance with quality bullets selected for the job, careful hand loads, and optimum shot placement.

Especially if this rifle with be used primarily for deer hunting. No need to go big when it's not necessary 85% of the time.

If you shoot that .270 well and are really comfortable with it, I'd just use that. Get some premium bullets like the Barnes TSX for the really big stuff and with the accurate shot placement that comes from long familiarity you won't have trouble.

Originally Posted By: GCIf you shoot that .270 well and are really comfortable with it, I'd just use that. Get some premium bullets like the Barnes TSX for the really big stuff and with the accurate shot placement that comes from long familiarity you won't have trouble.

This would work just fine, unless of course you just want to play with something new. If that's the case, try out the aforementioned .338-06. Shoot 185-210 grain bullets for deer and 225-250 grain bullets for elk/moose. Or just shoot 210 grain Partitions or similar weight premium bullet for everything.

Originally Posted By: HawkCreek.30-06

thumbup1.gif

I ran into this question about 9 years ago.(without the Moose)

I bought a rifle just for the task and got the 300 win Mag. I shoot it 3 times a year and wish it was better to shoot, but just not pleasant to shoot. (7lbs gun with a metal kick plate)

I have friends that hunt with a 270 and I am sorry i didn't get that instead. A 270 will drop an Elk just fine without issues.

If i was now going to get another i might opt for the 260, 270, or 280. I would build it out as a long range shooter and practice hitting plates at long ranges, and use it for hunting.

Good luck, it's a tough choice.

.30-06 has been a great all around for more than a century.
I prefer the .300 Win Mag but always seem to have a .30-06 ready.

i have killed whitetail deer, mule deer, elk, bear, bighorn sheep, mountain goat, and pronghorn with my 270. never had a problem with it getting the job done. however, I also use a 300wsm and a 338wm, i forget whose statement it is, but use the biggest gun you can shoot accurately.

none of the animals will survive a properly placed broadside shot, it is when the shot is not properly placed, or the shot opportunity is not great. i have killed 2 moose with my 338, the first, a bull was shot facing me. dropped like a ton of bricks. the cow was broadside at 50 yards, i shot her 3 times, all fatal chest shots. she went 75 yards and piled up.

A 280 ackley would do nicely in your standard faced long action. Run the 168 for deer and the 175 or 180 for elk/moose. Just specify that you want the version based on the Nosler brass, it's a smidge longer at the shoulder.

Originally Posted By: tripod3.30-06 has been a great all around for more than a century.

as a side bonus - you will be able to find 30-06 ammo virtually EVERYWHERE That sells ammo.

if you go with an excotic caliber and happen to forget your ammo at home when packing for that once in a lifetime hunt - theres no way you're gonna go to the local sporting goods counter and pickup some 338-06, or probably even .284.

however its likely that they WILL have at least a few boxes of 30-06 suitable for the local game on the shelf. or at the worst a local will have a box they'd be willing to part with - even if you have to shell out a ridiculous amount of $$ to get it from them compared to your local ammo shop. my point is SOMEONE will have some 30-06 ammo around anyway
smile.gif
at that point the worst you have to do is grab two boxes, rezero for the ammo that's available and you're back in business.

just some food for thought.

My first Alberta black bear hunt started out with zero gear. I had to borrow clothing, a weapon and ammo for the first day and a half. Talk about something to stress over !
scared.gif

Back