Gonna be back in the 204 AR business...

Finally got my parts in for a 204.
B141E68B-A74C-4384-ACD1-D6055E34544E.jpeg

I run my 20p AR with about 2 gr less powder(very similar to 20 tac data) than 204R load data. My old chronograph doesn't read the 17/20's consistently,saving for a Garmin.

What's the difference in ballistic performance between the 204 and 20P?
Theoretically the 204 Ruger has a ever so slight edge over the 20 Prac and 20 Tac due to it having a tiny bit more case capacity but real world there's more variance from gun to gun then there is in one of those three having any distinct edge over the other. Now, that doesn't mean you won't hear of great feats of velocity about the 20 Tactical and how they shoot soooo much faster then the 204R or 20 Practical and I'm not saying they aren't getting those crazy fast velocities from the 20 Tac but they're also, whether they are aware of it or not, doing it at considerably higher pressure. Loaded to the same pressure with the same bullet weight and barrel length all three are essentially the same.

With 223 brass being so plentiful and the fact it's just a straight neck down with no forming needed and you can use a regular ole set of 223 bushing dies to make/load for a 20P it's the easy button. The only real advantage the 204R has is if you want/need to shoot factory ammo. If you reload and it's an AR build where brass tends to get beat up a little more then in a bolt gun or just flat out lost, for me, it's a no brainer the 20 Practical wins all day everyday.

Theoretically the 204 Ruger has a ever so slight edge over the 20 Prac and 20 Tac due to it having a tiny bit more case capacity but real world there's more variance from gun to gun then there is in one of those three having any distinct edge over the other. Now, that doesn't mean you won't hear of great feats of velocity about the 20 Tactical and how they shoot soooo much faster then the 204R or 20 Practical and I'm not saying they aren't getting those crazy fast velocities from the 20 Tac but they're also, whether they are aware of it or not, doing it at considerably higher pressure. Loaded to the same pressure with the same bullet weight and barrel length all three are essentially the same.

With 223 brass being so plentiful and the fact it's just a straight neck down with no forming needed and you can use a regular ole set of 223 bushing dies to make/load for a 20P it's the easy button. The only real advantage the 204R has is if you want/need to shoot factory ammo. If you reload and it's an AR build where brass tends to get beat up a little more then in a bolt gun or just flat out lost, for me, it's a no brainer the 20 Practical wins all day everyday.

That was my understanding as well and from what I can tell for me jumping in the 20P is the best option from the opinions I've read.

I had a 20p and it was fine and all, but it definitely gave up some speed. I can't remember what I got out of it but I know it never sniffed 4k. I want to say 3800 maybe with 32's?

The 204 can have feeding issues due to it's length and depending on several things but I haven't had any issues with this one. Loving it, and maybe someday I'll work up it's own load.

Didn't see the bcg in your build parts pile, how did it headspace?

The BCG is a JP FMOS carrier (JPBC-2) with their enhanced bolt assembly group (JPBC-EB223). I'm waiting on a set of Manson go/no-go gauges from Brownells. I usually check headspace before and after upper assembly...but I got a little impatient and went ahead with assembly. The pile of parts was just begging to be put together. I've assembled about 15 uppers before and haven't run into a headspace issue yet but I always check before I shoot. If I do run into an issue, I see where Lilja recommends/headspaces for a Maxim Firearms bolt so I can swap out if needed. I've had great performance with the JP so I prefer to stick with them if possible.

204 Ruger AR Build - Updates and Initial Field Report

Headspace Check

I used Manson no-go/go gauges. The no/go check was good...no way it was even close. The go gauge would turn just slightly but not all the way. A new piece of Hornady sized brass worked with no issues as did a dummy round.

Magazines
Before test firing, I made 10 dummy rounds to mimic factory Hornady Superformance Varmint 40 grain ammo to manually check cycling. I already had some 223/5.56 Lancer mags and Magpul Pmags, all 20 round capacity. I decided to try those mags first before buying/trying the Stoner mags recommended by 204 AR. I've heard the Lancer mags work great too but in my Aero M4E1 lower with the Aero M4E1 Enhanced upper, the Lancer mags appeared to sit up too high. When the BCG would come backward over the top of the magazine it would disturb/misalign or almost pop the top round out of the magazine. I've also read where Pmags tend to not work well with 204 Ruger. The Pmags worked perfectly in my rifle. I'm using a Lilja barrel and they said Pmags work best with 204 Ruger (.204 Ruger AR feed issues - Lilja). I can see where the follower guides on the inside of the Lancer mag allow the 204 rounds to move more freely where the follower guides inside the Pmags are a little tight looking up against the shoulder of the rounds. I had 2 20 round Pmags. I left one unmodified and I filed down the follower guides inside the other one; there is a good thread on PM about this (Pmag 204 Modification). Pmag modifications made no difference in the operation of my rifle during manual test cycling or during actual firing. I only loaded my Pmags up to 10 rounds in my testing so far; unmodified and modified Pmags both worked great without any issues. I've seen some 204 Ruger specific mags available but I think I'll stick with the Pmags for now. I can see the appeal of 20 Practical vs 204 Ruger just based on magazines.

Test Firing/Velocity
After adjusting the SLR gas block, the rifle cycled perfectly with and without the suppressor and ejected brass in a nice pile around 3:30-4:00. I'm using a JP FMOS BCG and a JP SCS H2, for reference. So far, I've only shot factory Hornady Superformance Varmint ammo in 32 and 40 grain. 32 grain around 4,015 fps and 40 grain at 3,770 fps.

IMG_0186.jpg
IMG_0185.jpg

Target Practice
I put the ballistics info in the Chairgun Elite app for 40 grain factory ammo and used the MPBR calculator for getting the near zero range distance. Curious if anyone else uses this approach or recommends something different.

IMG_0203.jpg
IMG_0204.jpg

I mounted and zeroed a Pulsar Digex C50 for daytime hunting and got a few practice shots in on an Atlas Target Works steel coyote. I have a few of their coyote targets, highly recommend. I forgot to turn on the audio recording in the scope. This rifle is super quiet suppressed. Pulsar just released a software update for the C50 including integration of their ballistics app...still need to try that too. The groups I was shooting on paper at 57 yards while getting the C50 zeroed were very small. I still need to put on the real scope and shoot longer groups to see how it really performs. Looking forward to load development too.

Great detailed results, thanks for posting the data for everyone, looking forward to seeing how it shoots when you get it lined out.

Back