Giraud trimmer over-chamfering...

Originally Posted By: CZ527

That's a full blown amateur,

I can tolerate a half blown amateur, but I have no time whatsoever for a full blown one
mad.gif

"Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast
ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them
under their feet, and turn again and rend you."

Matthew 7:6

thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: fw707"Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast
ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them
under their feet, and turn again and rend you."

Matthew 7:6

thumbup1.gif

You can trample all the brass you want.... I'm going to find a better way.

Fairly apt use of scripture though. I'm sure God inspired Matthew with those words just so that millinuems later you could support a case trimmer that gets a little happy with the chamfering.

to me that is way to much. i would never chamfer that much. not intentionally anyway. just enough to break the sharp edge is what i like and try to do.

Originally Posted By: CZ527I'm sure God inspired Matthew with those words just so that millinuems later you could support a case trimmer that gets a little happy with the chamfering.

I guess you missed the point.
I'm not "supporting" anything. I don't care if you trim your brass with a sand rock.

The "pearls" thing always comes to mind on these deals.
Somebody asks for help, folks with experience in the subject try to help, then the person ignores the advice, and insults the folks that tried to help.
Happens here all the time.
rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted By: CZ527To each his own I guess. I wouldn't ever remove that much material. Not my cup of tea by a long shot.

I use a VLD deburring tool, but never to that extent. To me, the cases I did on the Giraud and in the picture I posted look like a VLD tool was bottomed out.

I guess I'm just glad I tried the machine before investing in one.

Who makes a good electric trimmer that doesn't chamfer/deburr?

The Dillon does not chamfer or deburr. Straight flat cut across the top. Chambering specific with various dies needed for various cartridges. The interesting thing is that CH4D makes up Dillon compatible trim dies for about $75.00 for oddball stuff outside the more common ones.

Greg

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: CZ527I'm sure God inspired Matthew with those words just so that millinuems later you could support a case trimmer that gets a little happy with the chamfering.

I guess you missed the point.
I'm not "supporting" anything. I don't care if you trim your brass with a sand rock.

The "pearls" thing always comes to mind on these deals.
Somebody asks for help, folks with experience in the subject try to help, then the person ignores the advice, and insults the folks that tried to help.
Happens here all the time.
rolleyes.gif

Maybe you should give better advice. I would never tell anyone to chamfer their brass that way. I think I've got the answer I started this thread for, and I won't be buying the machine.
If you like it, that's great. I don't.

Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: CZ527To each his own I guess. I wouldn't ever remove that much material. Not my cup of tea by a long shot.

I use a VLD deburring tool, but never to that extent. To me, the cases I did on the Giraud and in the picture I posted look like a VLD tool was bottomed out.

The Dillon does not chamfer or deburr. Straight flat cut across the top. Chambering specific with various dies needed for various cartridges. The interesting thing is that CH4D makes up Dillon compatible trim dies for about $75.00 for oddball stuff outside the more common ones.

Greg

I might have to look into that, but it sounds like a heavy investment, probably not as much as the Giraud though.

I wonder how the WFT trimmed cases look? They may have a gentler chamfer/deburr.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: CZ527

to me that is way to much. i would never chamfer that much. not intentionally anyway. just enough to break the sharp edge is what i like and try to do.

Absolutely, couldn't have said it better.

Originally Posted By: CZ527Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: CZ527To each his own I guess. I wouldn't ever remove that much material. Not my cup of tea by a long shot.

Greg

I might have to look into that, but it sounds like a heavy investment, probably not as much as the Giraud though.

I wonder how the WFT trimmed cases look? They may have a gentler chamfer/deburr.

I haven't used the WFT but many guys like it. I have so many trimmers (4)I won't be buying one of them.. LOL

The Giraud is $460.00 extra shell holders are $35.00. The Gracey is $335.00 and extra shell holders are $41.80 The Dillon is $329.95 with extra trim dies running from $51 - $60. Of course the Dillon sizes and on the other two you have to size first and then trim.

Greeg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CZ527Originally Posted By: Buster HindendBuy a chop saw from Harbor Frieght

That's my current set-up. It's even painted dewalt yellow so that it looks legit. Trims every case to within1/8". Love it...

But seriously, I'd rather do it by hand.

Maybe a hacksaw and a vise
tongue_smilie.gif

Maybe you should give better advice.

Nah, I think it would be better if we just gave no advice at all to folks like you.
It would be a lot better if we just allow you to wallow in your own ignorance.

Trimming and chamfering brass is baboon work.

It is the most likely one single step in the reloading process that has the absolute least effect on your loaded ammo. It needs to be done in the shortest amount of time possible, with the least amount of effort expended, with the most important aspect being jamming your too-long case in your too-short chamber.

If you give any more importance to the process you have no clue what you are doing, and you shouldn't be trusted with powder and primers on the same table top at the same time.

Originally Posted By: CZ527Well you've lost a fair amount of gripping surface right there, for one.

Two, the brass has been thinned to the point that it will grow uneven.

Three, it looks like s hit.... Which for me puts up a mental block and would affect accuracy.

One-two-three.....

You just gave a numerical indicator of how little you actually know about reloading.

One-
you have no idea about "gripping surface" --did you actually try to reference something as simple as neck tension?

Two-
How the heck does brass grow evenly or unevenly, depending on how it has been thinned?

Three-
How the Heck does your mental block affect the accuracy of a loaded round?

Neck tension would be horizontal, pressure impacted from side to side (horizontally) with a case sitting on its rim. Often measured in thousands (and sometimes half that much). Basically, it's how much less than a loaded round measures.. Before and after seating a bullet. That's your neck tension. I'm sure Wikipedia says it in a more refined way, but that how I'd describe it.

Gripping surface, which I'd consider vertical, would be the "length" of the total area where neck tension gets applied, usually the whole neck, if the bottom of the bearing surface is set at the neck/shoulder junction. Kinda a term I coined to describe how much grip I can get on a bullet running a lower neck tension. I'm not big on heavy neck tension, as I rarely surpass the generic .002"

Thinner metals, regardless what they are, will grow or relocate easier than thicker ones. Any fool can see why you wouldn't want to get too happy with a case, particular something short necked like a 243.

If I'm not confident in my equipment, I won't shoot as well as if I were. It doesn't matter if I'm shooting coyotes or shooting in a match, the ammo has been perfected to the best of my abilities. It's the last thing that I would doubt in the whole setup.

I'll put my loaded ammunition up against just about anyone's. Im proud of everything I've learned so far, and look forward to learning anything new that I can. That's the ticket you see, never assume that you've got it down, because somewhere out there, someone is finding a better way to kick everyone's [beeep]. Better to give than to receive.

If you've got anymore to say, I'd suggest a PM, but don't expect it to go without a good old keyboard lashing.

Thanks for nothing.

Bring your "gripping surface" bullets to a long range match sometime, and bring your Wiki buddies with you.
And bring your best loaded ammo up against my bestest buddy's ammo.
You are just a poser spouting back the same garbage you read on somebody's post that you read way back there somewhere on the internet.

I'm not going to reply to you on a private message.

You insulted me and every other member that replied sincerely to your question trying to help you with your problem.
Let's keep all of the questions and answers out here for everybody to see.
I think all of the folks that replied trying to help you with your problem deserve that.

None of the drivel posted by the OP above makes any sense.

"Thanks for nothing."

That is simply amazing to me. You were presented a bunch of solid advice from very seasoned reloaders. All of which your narcissism prevented you from receiving. Jeff, Brad and Rob shoot more in a month than most on this site will shoot in an entire season. These guys know what they are doing quite well. It would be beneficial for you to set your pride and preconceived nonsense out if you want to learn. But I doubt that will happen.

Just you. Not everyone. You came along and said oh well just adjust it, but that's defeating the whole purpose.

Other than that, you just talked plenty of smack, with your mouth open and your ears closed. Everything I've said has just been misconstrued and thrown back down on the page. What the [beeep] is a "gripping surface bullet"? When did I mention those? Remember, it's all "out here for everybody to see."

There's nothing more important to making top notch ammunition than creating a perfect case, and the XX more just like that one. If you shoot point blank, maybe 30 pieces will do ya- whatever the number is, they all gotta match. I even go as far as to sort my brass on target after sorting it at the house.

Why not just make the first case correctly?

You can't really do that if your chamfer job looks like it was done with a road cone.

You mentioned the Internet.... I can honestly say that I learned most things the old fashioned way, from experience. I've shared and traded a few load recipes and watched a video on how to set up my 21st century neck turning lathe, but most often I just kick back and shake my head at some of the things I see here and elsewhere.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pahntr760None of the drivel posted by the OP above makes any sense.

"Thanks for nothing."

That is simply amazing to me. You were presented a bunch of solid advice from very seasoned reloaders. All of which your narcissism prevented you from receiving. Jeff, Brad and Rob shoot more in a month than most on this site will shoot in an entire season. These guys know what they are doing quite well. It would be beneficial for you to set your pride and preconceived nonsense out if you want to learn. But I doubt that will happen.

I am sorry that I wasn't more clear. I appreciated the opinions, help and humor of everyone in this thread except one.

Brad didn't offer any advice that I saw, just came along to do a little teasing (well-received) then moved on.
(Actually I see that he did, sorry.)

Actually, nobody really offered any help concerning the original question. There were just a lot of opinions about how the brass looked and a lot of funny suggestions.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CZ527Just you. Not everyone. You came along and said oh well just adjust it, but that's defeating the whole purpose.

What a fricking joke.
I adjusted the turrets on my new scope .2 mil down and .3 mil down to get it zeroed.
Did I defeat the purpose?

Back