Ghillie suits????

MillerTime69

Hey Killas I was thinking about getting a ghillie suit but I'm having a hard time deciding on a model and color scheme....There are just so many different makers and each one seems to have a little tweak on how they layer their material so it have come down to how well they are put together....Do any you guys use one, if so which one and if you have had good/bad experiences with them I'd like to hear about it...Thanx Shad

Shad,

Look at Rancho Safari suits. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I use the lightweight one. Best bang for the buck you can get. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Barry

+1 on Rancho Safari. I have the 3/4 parka and dad almost walked by me at 30 feet. I don't use it all to often no more but if I'm headin to an area I know theres no cover I'll bring it.

t/c223encore.

I don't try to be too opinionated, so what I'm about to say should be taken as an opinion only and not the gospel. I think those things are a waste of money. They're too hot, get caught on sage and other bushes, and you can hardly see through all that crap on your head.

Spend your money on some high quality light-weight camo and you'll be just as inconspicuous. I have a ghillie in desert camo in a bag in my garage that I have worn exactly twice- which is twice more than I should have worn it.

Please take this as one guy's opinion when making your decision. I know some guys like them- I just don't know any of them.

If you decide you want one, I'll make you a deal you can't refuse just to get it out of my garage.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
Have fun,
Brendan

I'll put my experience this way:

I can set up out in the open. Plain view. Barbara can set up next to cover...rocks, trees, yuccas, etc.

A coyote coming in will never see me, but on the other hand, Barbara gets busted every so often.

I used mine all season & never had a coyote see me...they died oblivious. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Barry

Good first hand info Barry! Can you tell us more? Previously you mentioned the desert colors and the source. Do use the jacket or long coat?
Craig

I sold Barry his rancho( wouldnt sell one to a friend if i didnt believe in it ) , I had reservations about useing one for a looooong time( see reasons below) , A friend of mine is a dealer and he left one at my place after trying for 2 years to get me to use it . Well one day i decided to try it out ( he wasnt around to say I told you so) I never call without it now . That thing is worth its weight in gold . If i choose i can sit in a wide open CRP field and the dogs have no idea i am anything but a large bush . When i told my buddy about the coyote that came in behind me and walked right past me at less then twenty feet while i sloooowly moved my rifle for the shot he said Told you so . Like i said its worth its weight in gold . Rancho safari 3/4 suit is what i use and its very light maybe 2 pounds if that . wind goes right thru it so its not hot. the 3/4 suit doesnt catch on any brush while walking and provides plenty of stealth . I dont have to take it off if i have to get in the truck and drive either its a great tool . Tried a few others over the years and that was what set me against them , to heavy, to hot and caught on everything . The rancho is a whole diff animal . hope this helps.

IMG_0468-1.jpg

I've posted this picture before but this should tell you a lot. This is a coyote's eye view from about 25-30 feet. I'm sitting on a stool with a back in the middle of a sand wash. The only thing breaking me up besides the ghillie is the shade. Like the others, I've had coyotes stare holes in me from short distances and see no danger. It's not a magic wand and will not make you invisible, but it does allow you more freedom in picking where you sit. You can get away with some movement that would get you busted in a heartbeat in normal camo. On the majority of stands, it's of no use, but on the few when it comes into play, it's worth it's weight in gold. I wear it from the start of the day until I'm done. It does take some getting used to as far as how you can see with the hood up and hanging on stuff and it can be warm (especially here). It's a PITA crossing fences, but I won't leave the house without it. More than one of the guys I hunt with are wearing them now too.

My advice would be to buy the one out of Brendan's garage. If you don't like it, pass it on to the next guy who's curious. If you like the concept but want to try a different style or brand, you'll still be able to pass it along without too much sting.

To each his own.

Thanx guys this all puts it in perspective and reassure what I had thought...I saw a show on the military channel about snipers...Now I'm not military and never have been but these guys were sneaking through different terrain with instructors with binos looking for them and numerous other guys in the field tromping around trying to pin-point the team...I understand these dudes were trained at doing this because their lives depended on it but even with experienced eyes knowing they were still there they were able to complete the coarse undetected....I thought surly its well worth trying out....If these guys can go a 1000yds being watched and critiqued, it can't hurt little ol' Millertime's chances at whacking a hungry 'yote believing there is lunch to be had and NOT a lead sandwich...

If you want to give it a test on the cheap, I built one out of 2 ground blinds and tie-wraps. Here's a pic:

DSCN0267.jpg

I've got about $40 and 3 hours invested in it. If you decided you didn't like it, you would still have 2 ground blinds after taking the zip-ties off.

Quote:
how are them suits when you get into grass burrs or porkypine eggs?

While I don't have to deal with amount of burrs you do there Kelly, heck I didn't even know porcupines laid eggs, there's plenty of sticky things here as you are well aware. The ghillie picks them up but usually they aren't much of a bother because I don't sit on the ground (for obvious reasons) so I don't get poked very often. Pulling burrs out of the bottom of it gives me something else to do over the summer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Quote:

Yeah I know....But think of it this way the more natural veg you have stuck to it inadvertently or deliberately the more you will look like a bush or grass clump... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Quote:

While I don't have to deal with amount of burrs you do there Kelly, heck I didn't even know porcupines laid eggs, there's plenty of sticky things here as you are well aware. Pulling burrs out of the bottom of it gives me something else to do over the summer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thats funny right there... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Quote:

Quite a bit better than when you get into those 8 foot blackberry patches. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif

Back