Getting very frustrated with Stuck brass!

cherokee305

I recently bought some once fired 223 brass. Its all headstamped FC and the primer crimp has been removed. I'm using RCBS dies and shell holder. I am using one shot case lube, but about 1 in 10 cases gets stuck.

My can of case lube is getting low, is it possible that the oil is all gone and all that remains in the can is the carrier?

I'm getting very handy with my rcbs stuck case remover, its just that I didn't buy this brass to ruin it all.

Instead of the spray, use Imperial Sizing Die Wax as directed; your spray lube is likely too much of a bad thing.

There was a long discussion on here re the mrits of Imperial Sizing Die wax...do a search. And, it [the discussion thread] may/should be in the "Help New Reloaders" permanent thread above.

Last edited:
I think you should be able to see /feel the lube if there`s any left. Sounds like you have used it before, but the first time I used it and stuck one...then I thouroughly cleaned out my die of other lube, then spritzed the die in addition to the brass and no more problemo.

ETA- welcome to PM`s

Last edited:
This is what I use and have been using forever and have never had a stuck case. I use a little bit on 2 fingers and turn the case to get just a little bit on and it works great. I even did a bunch of .308 cases that were really hard to resize but never got stuck, then I found out they were from a machinegun with the fluted chanber. You can either wipe it off or put the cases in a jar with some alcohol or degreaser to clean them. It only takes a little and it lasts forever.
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3506761
Tarey

Originally Posted By: cherokee305 I am using one shot case lube, but about 1 in 10 cases gets stuck.

I can't understand why you keep using it.
confused.gif

Get some Imperial like BuckeyeSpecial suggested.
thumbup1.gif

I wouldn't blame the product, If done correctly you should have no problems.
I used the good old lube pad for over 4 decades with out a stuck case, I always said if it aint broke don't fix it. Well I bought a can of Hornady One Shot and it works as well as the lube pad. I shake the can good before applying, spray from all four sides. I also Clean my dies with gun scrub then spray inside with One shot before running any cases through sizing dies sprayed with One Shot.
So far so good.

DAB

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: cherokee305 I am using one shot case lube, but about 1 in 10 cases gets stuck.

I can't understand why you keep using it.
confused.gif

Get some Imperial like BuckeyeSpecial suggested.
thumbup1.gif

Yeah, I think that have tried them all over the years. I stopped looking after I got my first can of Imperial. Hard to believe that such a tiny bit will lube as well as it does, but it does.

Originally Posted By: cherokee305I recently bought some once fired 223 brass. Its all headstamped FC and the primer crimp has been removed. I'm using RCBS dies and shell holder. I am using one shot case lube, but about 1 in 10 cases gets stuck.

My can of case lube is getting low, is it possible that the oil is all gone and all that remains in the can is the carrier?

I'm getting very handy with my rcbs stuck case remover, its just that I didn't buy this brass to ruin it all.
How clean is the brass itself? I see no mention that it was tumbled. I have bought OFB that was very gritty on the outside with either fine sandy dust, carbon from the powder residue that contaminated the outside of the brass, or a combination of both.
Just something to look at.

Use Imperial,or Hornady Unique case lube. Both will last along time,and it takes very little. I threw my lub pad away years ago! Ron

The brass is very clean, it has been polished. I just find it odd that I have used this same lube for 22-250 and 7mm rem mag, and I have never had preblems until I got to the once fired 223 brass that I bought.

I think there is something else going on that hasn't been brought up... I've used the RCBS lube pad and lube, as well as the One Shot with no problems for years (as long as I follow the directions),,,,I'm not arguing against any other opinion, I just don't think that is the only possibility..

I've had some brass, usually military or law enforcement, that has been fired from fully auto weapons that has caused me some problems and get on the verge of being stuck with my Forster Dies and Co-Ax press, but still work through the process...

When I was using a "C" type press with the changeable shell bases, I found myself pulling some of them right out of the base due to the 'slop' involved in the tolerances...That resulted in the stuck case more than any other factor...After switching to the Forster Co-Ax, that problem has gone away...

I'd have to go along with OT. If the brass has been fired out of a SAW, you are better off leaving it on the ground.

Originally Posted By: cherokee305I recently bought some once fired 223 brass. Its all headstamped FC and the primer crimp has been removed. I'm using RCBS dies and shell holder. I am using one shot case lube, but about 1 in 10 cases gets stuck.

cherokee,
Try what the others have said and change the method and product you use to lube your casings. BUT, if the problems continues, I recently ran into something similar with .223 brass. You use the words, "...and the primer crimp has been removed." Well I had been loading .223 for the past few years using Lake City Brass and had no problems at all. Then recently, came along a group of FC Headstamp brass where I had to remove the primer crimp. I use Redding Dies and have never had a problem in reloading probably over 1,000 rds. But along came FC headstamp with a primer crimp and nothing but problems. And I use strickly Imperial Sizing Wax and my fingers when I lube all sorts of casings. So after about 10 FC casings and alot of loud nasty words, I chucked the FC and went back to LC and no problems since. Bottom line is it could be that brass. To me, the frustration wasn't worth the hassle so I went back to using brass I know worked just fine in my dies and that was that. Good luck in solving your issue.

Sounds like Shynloco may have hit on the problem??

As for case lube, I used one shot one time resulting in a stuck case right off the bat. Switched to Forster Sportlube and never stuck a case. I think Hornady case lube is same product, different label as I have used both w/same results.

Had heard all the good reports on Imperial, so when I started loading for the WSSM's, bought a can since the extra thick case of the WSSM's require a lot of sizing. Never heard so much creaking and groaning when sizing these cases w/Imperial (but I will say, never stuck a case). Switched back to Hornady and no more groaning during sizing operation. IMO, Hornady is better lube than the Imperial, based on use on/WSSM cases.

Regards,
hm

Another anti One-shot thread. Would you send me your unused One shot if I gave you my address?
smile.gif

I've used it since it came out on everything from military 223 brass to 300 RUM including 25 wssm and no problems. Stand your cases up in a shallow loading block or just on a block of wood, shake the can up for a minute or so, and spray at an angle from one side, then spin the blocks 180 degrees and spray them again. It gets a little inside the neck as you go and cases resize effortlessly.

I stuck one case using the One Shot, got in a hurry and didn't follow directions. Now I spray in my loading block, turn 90° and spray again from a 45° down angle until I all 4 sides are covered. The next step is walk away for 15 minutes and let it dry. The wet spray creates a vapor lock inside the die and creates a suction. Once dry the problem goes away. Like the saying, "haste makes waste". Take your time and all should go well in my experience. I also cleaned and treated my dies with it. I haven't experience the shoulder denting that I use to since I switched to One Shot after starting out using the RCBS gunk and a pad.

Originally Posted By: 204 ARAnother anti One-shot thread. Would you send me your unused One shot if I gave you my address?
smile.gif

I've used it since it came out on everything from military 223 brass to 300 RUM including 25 wssm and no problems. Stand your cases up in a shallow loading block or just on a block of wood, shake the can up for a minute or so, and spray at an angle from one side, then spin the blocks 180 degrees and spray them again. It gets a little inside the neck as you go and cases resize effortlessly.

Not anti One shot, just my (admittedly limited) experience w/the product. Would be happy to send the unused portion, but it is long gone
smile.gif

Regards,
hm

Back