Gamo pellet rifle for beaver

Whats with all the Gamo slamming ? I have one and so does my son and I am perfectly happy with them. Or is this another one of those you cant buy a decent scope for under 1000 dollars replys ? Like I said no dont shot a beaver with it but they are great for plinking and very accurate at the ranges pellet guns are intended for.

Quote:
I really doubt it. I have shot beaver in my traps that didnt drown using a 22 pistol. I have had some I had to shoot 2 times. When I skinned them I was finding one of the bullets just under the skin against the skull. Beaver are tough.

Is a beavers skull tougher than that of a wild boar weighing around 110 pounds? Just curious, as I have no experience with shooting beavers (I live in the Beaver State!). I like to kill off nutria so as to make more room for the beavers.

Quote:
Whats with all the Gamo slamming ? I have one and so does my son and I am perfectly happy with them. Or is this another one of those you cant buy a decent scope for under 1000 dollars replys ? Like I said no dont shot a beaver with it but they are great for plinking and very accurate at the ranges pellet guns are intended for.

It has nothing to do with their product. It is their irresponsible advertising that I feel is bad for the sport.

I bought pellets for it today, I didn't remember them being so small I won't be shooting any beavers with it any time soon. It's clear to me they just don't have enough weight to push threw to the goods.

I will agree with that Butcher54 powerful as they are only a moron would try to kill a boar with one. I have told this story before though and been called a liar and had I not seen it I would have called them a liar to but My dentist tried to scare a doe out of his flower bed with his daisy powerline pellet gun. The pellet went perfectly between its ribs and into its heart. it bleed out in about 150 yards. probaly a million to one odds but he was the million.

Quote:
Quote:
I really doubt it. I have shot beaver in my traps that didnt drown using a 22 pistol. I have had some I had to shoot 2 times. When I skinned them I was finding one of the bullets just under the skin against the skull. Beaver are tough.

Is a beavers skull tougher than that of a wild boar weighing around 110 pounds? Just curious, as I have no experience with shooting beavers (I live in the Beaver State!). I like to kill off nutria so as to make more room for the beavers.

I have never shot a wild boar so I couldnt tell you. If I was going to I wpuld use more than a 22 rimfire though.

One of the big PCP air guns that shoot 45 or 50 cal slugs would certainly do the trick but they're entirely different animals than a moderate power spring air gun.

I'm not knocking Gamo's products but I do think that the TV ad where they appear to be killing a wild boar is unfortunate. If it is reality, it is unethical. The only way their spring air gun, even with PBA ammo, is going to effectively kill a wild boar is a shot through the eye socket. What if they don't hit the tiny target, they have an injured animal running off? A spring air gun is in NO way adequate for a sporting shot at a boar. Don

Quote:
Quote:

It has nothing to do with their product. It is their irresponsible advertising that I feel is bad for the sport.

EXACTLY! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

They used to have a video on their website advertising their Gamo Hunter of a guy shooting a hog with the pellet gun--Pretty dumb in my opinion, not to mention an irresponsible stunt!

Back to the thread, just use a firearm that is capable of dispatching the beaver humanely.....I myself prefer to use a nice bottle of wine and steak for two!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quote:

I have never shot a wild boar so I couldnt tell you. If I was going to I wpuld use more than a 22 rimfire though.

I would, too. I used a .456 228grain slug shot from my air rifle on the 80-or-so lb. boar shown in my avatar (on hogs, it's brainshot's only for me).

I do know of a 100lb boar in which a 43grain .25 pellet made it to the brain for a clean kill, but that guy broke the rules, and was NOT supposed to shoot a hog over 30-50 lbs with it (ranch owners rule).

I dont know much about shootin beavers but I doubt a pellet gun is enough for the job.If I were you I would use a .22lr loaded up with CCI Quickshocks so if you happened to miss the bullet would break up when it hit the water and the possibility of ricochet would be less likely.I dont know if that would work out but Im pretty sure it would and if you did hit the beaver in the head it wouldnt be going anywhere.Those Quickshocks are some mean little buggers.
A .17HMR and a .17gr V-Max would be my second choice.

I am awaiting a report from a guy that plans to dispatch a problem beaver from his boat dock with a brain-shot, using a 43grain .25 pellet going about 950+fps.

I will relay the results here when I get the info.

I use 22 shorts for beaver in traps ( leg hold traps or snares that didn't drown for what ever reason). A 22 mag from a boat would be the least I would use. As stated above 330 or a 280 trap is the best way, I can not ever recall having a live beaver or otter in a conibear. Paul

My vote is a 22lr scoped rifle shooting subsonic rounds. Some of those air rifles/pcp's shoots pretty loud as well.

Back