Furtaker Vest

ive got the primos vest as well. The pattern just sticks out to much for my liking in the terrain i hunt in ohio. If it was in break up or apg it would work great. im sure coyotes arent going to give two squats what pattern im wearing but id like to think im blending in as well as i can when calling.

I'm curious as to whether or not the shoulder straps are in the way when shouldering a rifle/ shotgun? That;s really my only dislike for any kind of backpack or vest. I've got a waistpack that I currently use but would be interested in this if it weren't for the staps. It looks like the adjustments would be right in the road of the butt of the gun. Hopefully not.

Thanks

The shoulder straps are not a hinderance,Just the opposite , they keep the rifle on your shoulder and from slipping. they work so well that i am now able to ride a 4 wheeler and the gun stays put on the shoulder, alot easier on the scope then in a rack bouncing around .I also used to use a set of waist/ leg packs , i never thought i would be willing to use anything else , I am a believer in this vest , its the best thing to come along for a predator caller in my oppinion . worth its weight in gold . In and out of the truck with it on ? no problem . Adjustments are no where near the butt of the gun by the way , unless your gun butt is up by your upper chest I.E. upside down ,LOL.

Thanks Jerry. I may have to give it a try. I was more concerned with the straps being inthe road when I had the weapon shouldered, as in shooting. I don't like for the straps to be between the butt and my shoulder.

Thanks again for the help.

Now i understand your concern . If you look at the pic of the vest there is a draw strap at the top of the chest , What this does is adjust the (shoulder, sternum) straps in and out on your shoulder for the fit you choose . I have mine pulled in and when i shoulder a rifle the buckles are just inside the butt stock . hope this helps , jerry .

For the fellows who expressed concerns about the available camo patters for the vest, I don't think that should be a major concern. If you take a look around in the hunting fields, very few things are one solid color, with cedar and pine trees being a possible exception. In my opinion, except for the hunter trying to have all his clothes match, he is much better concealed in all his garments are different camo patterns, with slight changes from hat to top to bottom. Most of the bushes with leaves are many different colors. Having your vest in Mossy Oak Brush worn over other patterns shouldn't be a hindrance; it should help. Learning to stay still as a rock is far more important.

I received my Furtaker vest the other day in the mail. I haven't hunted with it yet but I will this Friday. After loading it up with my gear and lugging it around the house with my rifle here is my first impressions:

The material isn't what I expected. I thought it would be made of a heavier material. Maybe something like a good quality bird vest. The guys who expressed concern about it being too warm in hot weather dont need to worry about it. The reinforced shoulders are great.

Lots of pockets and the shell holders are great. I did notice the stitching on the inside of one of the pockets pulled out and didn't get stitched the right way. If it becomes an issue I will send it back and I'm sure FP will make it right.

The butt pad is over the top, very very nice!! The zippers seem to lack a little quality but time will tell. I'm not sure I would trust my remote to sit in the pocket without a string attached to it [which is conveniently located on a small D ring next to the pocket, nice!!] The magnetic flap is a nice touch.

The adjustment straps are good but I'm concerned some of the buckles may break when it gets really cold. The sternum strap is good, the D rings are great, the stretchy waist strap needs to better quality. I understand the reason behind the design [one size fits all], however that thing has trouble written all over it. At the very least a heavier piece of material and stronger buckle.

I'm one of those guys who packs a lot of stuff. Its not unusual for me to load up and walk a mile or better to make a stand or two. I'm also a guy who likes to have his pack sitting in the garage with everything loaded and ready to walk out the door in a minute or less. The only thing I couldn't fit was my binos. The main reason for purchasing the vest was to accomidate the Outlaw sling, which it does.

I really really like the design. I believe they are on the right track. I would pay an extra $20 to have better material and components. Perhaps my worries are unfounded. Only time in the field will tell....

Update: Had a little live field test last week. The vest works for sure. It took a little getting used too, but not a whole lot different than a loaded down bird vest.

I'm probably undersized now days at 5'10" and 165. The vest seems a little big for me, but it was warm and I wasn't wearing a lot underneath. It will fit better as I layer up come winter. I think it should accomidate most, at least the guys up to 2XL.

Big problem today while using my FoxPro Vest. When I put the Fury Remote into the pocket designed for remotes it was so tight that it turned the remote on, lights and all. Either I did something wrong, or something is terribly wrong with the design.

Has anyone else had this problem? I sure hope there is a fix because if not one day I'll be out of luck with dead batteries.

Rustydog

Rustydog - did it go on and stay on or just do that thing where it comes on for a second and if you don't hold the button down it goes back off?

Only way to do that is if your pushing on the black scroll button while your inserting the remote into the pouch . Simply push the remote into the pouch with JUST your index finger on the top .
I also found that to remove the remote from the pouch if you simply squeeze the bottom of the pouch with your thumb and index finger the remote will come to the top .
this pouch holds the remote so tight i see no need to use the top flap.
In fact i have not used it at all and never had a problem with remote coming out .
YES the cs 24 will fit in the vest the pocket on the left side is for the callers .

Surely somebody else has bought a Furtaker vest in the last month. I'm looking for some more reviews and field tests before I decide to order. Anybody???????

I just got mine a couple days ago, I havent had it in the field yet but I've loaded my gear into it.

It doesent hold everything my ruck sack did but then again it does make it easier to deploy the caller & decoy.

Its fairly well thought out design, but it really lacks craftsmenship.

On the inside of every pockett there is a 1/4" of fabric that is freyed & starting to unravel, eventually it will frey all the way back to the zipper & it will come un done.

As was said before the zippers are a rattle trap, I cut all of the meatal pull tabs off & just retied the little fox pro cord's, back on to the zipper itself.

The straps that hold up the seat cushion are a PIA to reach & un clip. So what I did was, tie on a piece of 1/8" bungee cord to the end of the seat strap's & tied the other end to the 2 D ring's below the front cargo pocketts one on each side.

What this does is, The bungee holds the seat tight against your back but with a push with your hands you can flip it over & now its pulling tight against your rear.

You just walk to your stand, reach back with both hands & push back against the top of the seat & it will flip over & hold tight against your butt, then you just sit down.

Its kinda along the lines of the Speedy Yote seat Cabelas sells, that was what I was trying to duplicate, but without actually having a speedy seat to copy I just made my own version of it.

Best of luck, Lee

had mine for months now and finally took it out to feild test....overall it functions great and is well thought out...i paid $100 for mine but feel its only worth $50....i'm used to badlands packs...there zippers and buckles just dont feel like quality badlands shizz....the ammo holding side worked great and was used today to grab more shotgun shells in a hurry, the call side holds a fx3 no prob, but i wish the hand call holders were on the ammo side, the remote pocket is not compatable w/ fx3 remote at all but it worked, the decoy pocket is roomy, but hard to deploy w/out taking pack off,azz pad is perfect and can be adjusted to keep from flopping when walking. 3 out of 5 stars for sure...if it was built out of qaulity materials i would give it 4-4 1/2....manage to shotgun one of the pair i called in today, didnt get the vest in the pic...lol
2011-11-13_10-37-38_465.jpg

There's nothing better than actual field testing the design of any new product. But it sounds like a great product could be alot better with some minor design changes.

I've been field testing mine for several months now. Likes: Being able to carry my CS24 in it. I like the stretch cord for the remote. I like all the extra pockets. The seat cushion is very comfortable. Dislikes: No back support. Magnetic flap is pathetic and weak. Waist belt is flimsy, not adjustable, and I expect will break soon. The overall quality of the vest is average. I paid $100.00 and I agree with shanedogg it should be closer to $50.00 for what you get.

$50.00 sounds about right for the quality of it.

I'm kind of suprised that FP would put their name on something like this, I know its made in China & all but C'mon, even they have to have some sort of Quality Control.

For $100 I was expecting something more along the lines of a Tactical vest with pouches & pocketts on the chest.

The pockets on the inside of the vest are pretty darn small aswell.

The zippered pockett on the front face of the right side pocket is a joke, I can barely fit my liscense & tags in there.

Oh well, I paid my $100 already, I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for a $50 refund check.

Lee

Back