fur friendly - 17 cal vs 20 cals???

Originally Posted By: HOGGHEADI spent alot of time trying to figure out exactly what to buy or build, just like you are. I was also looking for a rifle for barn yard hunting. With most shots being 150 to 200 yards. With an occasional 300 yards shot. And I looked real hard at the hot rod 17's. But if your shooting really is the range in which you discuss then you really do not need that hot rod 17. Sure they are great. But so is your 22-250. But both are too much for those shorter ranges. Heck the 17 FireBall would do just fine.

I am looking real hard at the 19 Badger. Plenty of power for shots to 300, but not over powered.

Heck even a 223 would do what you are looking for.

Lots of options out there. However always getting the fastest is not always the best choice. Especially when you said you want to save the pelts. And you started by saying your distances are short. Tom.

Huh?
confused.gif

I'm not sure I follow you. The 17 Rem, 17 Fireball, and 204 maybe the fastest, or close to it, but they do meet his criteria. 300yds. or closer and Pelt Savers. The 17AH, 19Badger, and 19Calhoon fall into those same area's.
I, like some of the others on here have been using the 17Rem. since 1971 and it is a consistent pelt saver. I've used many of the other favorites also and they are not consistent pelt savers, which is what he was asking for IMO.
Then again, maybe I didn't understand what you were posting.
unsure.gif

Originally Posted By: HOGGHEADI spent alot of time trying to figure out exactly what to buy or build, just like you are. I was also looking for a rifle for barn yard hunting. With most shots being 150 to 200 yards. With an occasional 300 yards shot. And I looked real hard at the hot rod 17's. But if your shooting really is the range in which you discuss then you really do not need that hot rod 17. Sure they are great. But so is your 22-250. But both are too much for those shorter ranges. Heck the 17 FireBall would do just fine.

I am looking real hard at the 19 Badger. Plenty of power for shots to 300, but not over powered.

Heck even a 223 would do what you are looking for.

Lots of options out there. However always getting the fastest is not always the best choice. Especially when you said you want to save the pelts. And you started by saying your distances are short. Tom.

You are ABSOLUTELY correct! Your points are very well taken, I don't need a barrel burner hot rod. I'm still in research mode on what cartridge I need. All I know is I want to put the coyotes down cleanly (inside 300 yards) with minimum pelt damage. I also don't want to have to do a whole bunch of brass forming. Listening to my typing, I don't think I want/need a wildcat!?

Thanks very much for all the comments and opinions - and by all mean keep them coming!

I was only trying to convey that sometimes the fastest, or best of breed is not always the best for a given situation. As you know the 17 Remington and the 17 Predator are best of breed as far as speed is concerned. But for the distances the OP suggested that he hunted, the fastest of breed is not necessary to produce the results he needs for the distance he shoots.

I went through this same questioning. And I personally determined for my use(shorter distance like the OP discussed) that I did not need the best of breed. That's all I was trying to point out.

But in no way was I trying to be detrimental to the best of breed. Just questioning the need for best of breed for less distance shooting. Tom.

Originally Posted By: HOGGHEADI was only trying to convey that sometimes the fastest, or best of breed is not always the best for a given situation. As you know the 17 Remington and the 17 Predator are best of breed as far as speed is concerned. But for the distances the OP suggested that he hunted, the fastest of breed is not necessary to produce the results he needs for the distance he shoots.

I went through this same questioning. And I personally determined for my use(shorter distance like the OP discussed) that I did not need the best of breed. That's all I was trying to point out.

But in no way was I trying to be detrimental to the best of breed. Just questioning the need for best of breed for less distance shooting. Tom.

I understand now. I think I jumped the gun. Sorry.
You peaked my curiosity though. How do you like your 19Badger? I know Calhoon makes some really nice products. I don't have any of his rifles, but I do use his 52 dblhp in my 223. I love them. Oh, and he is a great guy to talk to.

.204 has worked well for me. If you don't load it hot, you can really see the hits. And as others have said, easy to find reasonably priced components and reloading toys.

My brother put together a 17 mach IV. He seemed to think it wasn't much of a headache to get it loaded. He has killed a bunch of prairie dogs but no coyotes yet. I am anxious to see how it performs on a coyote, too.

No personal experience but a 20 Vartarg sounds pretty sweet for what you want too.

Quote:Your points are very well taken, I don't need a barrel burner hot rod.

I certainly don't want to sway you one way or another, but I do not find the 17 Rem to be a barrel burner. I think it got a bum rap years ago that it hasn't been able to out live. Much the same as the 220 Swift did. The 17 Rem. I mainly use is a Model 7. They haven't made it in that model for many years and this was just to say that I've been using it for a lot of years now. It has somewhere in the vicinity of 700 rounds down it and it still shoots 1/2" groups and occasionally better if the idiot behind the trigger is able. I still have the 700 Rem. I bought in 71 when they first came out with the 17Rem. It will still keep up with my Model 7. All I'm saying is I don't find them to be barrel burners. Maybe if I used them on a Prairie Dog Town I might have to eat my words, but not Predator hunting.
But hey, James Calhouns 19 cal. are darn good Predator rifles.

Originally Posted By: K22Quote:Your points are very well taken, I don't need a barrel burner hot rod.

I certainly don't want to sway you one way or another, but I do not find the 17 Rem to be a barrel burner. I think it got a bum rap years ago that it hasn't been able to out live. Much the same as the 220 Swift did. The 17 Rem. I mainly use is a Model 7. They haven't made it in that model for many years and this was just to say that I've been using it for a lot of years now. It has somewhere in the vicinity of 700 rounds down it and it still shoots 1/2" groups and occasionally better if the idiot behind the trigger is able. I still have the 700 Rem. I bought in 71 when they first came out with the 17Rem. It will still keep up with my Model 7. All I'm saying is I don't find them to be barrel burners. Maybe if I used them on a Prairie Dog Town I might have to eat my words, but not Predator hunting.
But hey, James Calhouns 19 cal. are darn good Predator rifles.
Regarding barrel burning in the .17's. I have a Mach 4 that has a known 3260 rounds fired and is still capable of less than 1 inch accuracy at 200 yards. It's been an interesting barrel to watch through the bore scope. Not much rifling to be seen ahead of the neck but accuracy is still there.

Accuracy is the last thing to go when barrels burn out. Long before that they start blowing up bullets(especially in the fast twists) and taking many shots to get accurate after cleaning.
Some people do not mind an occasional blow up or needing 15 fouling shots for best accuracy, they will keep a barrel till accuracy falls off.

Barrel life is very dependent on what you will put up with.

Jack

Back