Frustrated and need help for a would be newbie

dwilson

Hello all. I am extremely frustrated at the price of ammo and I know it's going to get worse. I shoot a 25.06 and a 22.250. I am looking to get into reloading and don't have alot of knowledge on this subject. I don't have a pile of money but enough to get by. What would you guys suggest for a starter setup. Everything included. I would appreciate you input. Thanks guys.

No one ever saved money reloading...

You spend more and you shoot more
wink.gif

Money can be saved on the price per round. I however shoot way more than I ever did with factory ammo. I'm not sure I have saved any money because of that. But I really didn't get into it to save anyway.

I would look into a RCBS kit. That will get you into what you need. You can always upgrade equipment from thier, but you will have a good starting point. I went and bought all my stuff individually and it cost a lot more in the end.

Do a search on Craig's list for RCBS. Look for a starter kit with a Rockchucker II or Rockchucker Supreme(bigger frame) press. You'll save a bunch, and you can't wear one out. Two die set per caliber, and a #3 shell holder, again used. Unless someone let them rust up, their warranty and CS, (RCBS) is good forever. Lots of people like Lee(cheaper), Redding, or others, all good stuff.

A good reloading manual, and read a lot on here, and you'll be good to go.

Thats ok. I would rather spend the same but come up a load to maximize my guns. What up with the price on everything...gas $5 a gallon? Jeez

Look at the other tools running for president..even rosanne bar is running now! Thanks turbo.I'll check out the rock chucker

Originally Posted By: dwilsonLook at the other tools running for president..even rosanne bar is running now! Thanks turbo.I'll check out the rock chucker

Here's a link to the kit at a pretty good price
Supreme Kit

You'll still need a pair of calipers, dies, brass, bullets, powder and primers to get going but it includes everything else to get started. If you order it make sure you get something else to kick you over $300 so you get the larger rebate
RCBS Rebate form

you can pick up a lot of reloading equipment used for cheap prices usually. also components from people changing their loads or calibers.
i bought 500 sierra 220gr 308 matchkings for about $50 on gunbroker a while back. if you keep looking, there are deals to be had now and then.
these days with large rifle calibers costing about a buck a round, it is not hard to save some money. pick up range brass, or buy once fired from someone who picks it up. primers are running about 3.5 cents a piece, powder runs anywhere from 8 cents to 20 cents depending on caliber, bullets can be had from 10 cents to 50 cents. add it all up and you can load 22-250 not including brass for about 25 cents per round, that is some savings.
i havent bought any brass except for old obsolete rounds in many years. i find all the 223 i could ever shoot plus 22-250, 270, 300wsm, etc... i find enough brass that i sell of the excess to fund the purchase of bullets and primers.

Im suprised nobody has mentioned the Lee Challenger kit I just looked and midway lists for $109.99 looks pretty complete minus dies. Is it as good as the RCBS? Probably not. WIll it reloads bunches of Ammo and Last for years? Yes. Start out cheap and easy see if its something you want to pursue then upgrade equipment later. I currently have 2 Rockchuckers, 1 Redding Turret and A dillon 550 its addictive but start small.

Originally Posted By: sixtwoeightyfourIm suprised nobody has mentioned the Lee Challenger kit I just looked and midway lists for $109.99 looks pretty complete minus dies. Is it as good as the RCBS? Probably not. WIll it reloads bunches of Ammo and Last for years? Yes. Start out cheap and easy see if its something you want to pursue then upgrade equipment later. I currently have 2 Rockchuckers, 1 Redding Turret and A dillon 550 its addictive but start small.

At the risk of pissing off all the LEE owners, 90% of the problems with reloading equipment that are talked about onthe internet, come from owners of Lee equipment - I know there are guys that love it, but in the bigger scheme of things, Lee is the bottom of the barrel in loading tools.

Plus, Redding, Forster, RCBS and the other major manufactures all have lifetime guarantees for their stuff - if it is no good and you have had it 25 - 35 years, they replace it!! Most of the time, if it's little, they just send you one in the mail for free.

Not Lee - Lee will sell you another at their regular dealer price - they don't loose a penny on their defective equipment
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

I am an NRA certified handloading instructor, and I teach handloading... I would NEVER, EVER recommend Lee stuff.

Now, all the Lee owners are free to attack me
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Go to the NRA website and look for a reloading class. Call them and take the course.

Buy reloading books and do not believe any load data on any blog.

Cat shooter:

I think that the issue here is that the Lee business plan is different than RCBS et al; that is, I think that Lee knows that 90% of the time, it is not their product that is the problem, but USERS WHO DO NOT KNOW HOW to correctly use their product.

In my opinion, Lee is just probably tired of getting ripped off by user incompetence; and of course, none of the users will admit that to Lee! (They could man up but often they likely don't even UNDERSTAND it was their fault...)

One can see the quest for competence from new reloaders/users on this site, so I am glad you are here, many of the new users need your knowledge.

I have had success with Lee products, but that is me.

Someone looking to save some money on oil changes and small auto repairs doesn't go out and buy top of the line tools - they buy something that they can afford that will get the job done, then step up to quality later on after they've gained some experience.

The Lee Challenger kit would be a great low price kit to get into reloading.

i have a lee press that i bought 25 years ago, it has loaded many thousands of rounds with no issues. i have many sets of lee dies and have had no problems with them either. i have had problems with 2 different sets of hornady dies, and a hornady priming tool. my lyman case trimmer works but works much better after i modified it. the cutters on my rcbs trim mate are not very good.
i have over the years picked up more reloading equipment, i now have a dillon 550 which i like, but it has its drawbacks. i have an rcbs press which is good, not really any different than the lee. i have rcbs dies which are of good quality, but i dont care for the decapping pins, or the die adjustment.

Back